• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ford Laser - ABS & Hand Break indicators

Jimmy

Guys.. mine is Ford 2000 (BJ5), My ABS and Hand break indicators have been blinking lately. When I did a scan it indicated a fault in the Rear ABS sensor and my mechanic told me to replace the Rear ABS sensor and the ABS unit in the car. Since these are difficult to find for my model , would appreciate a second opinion. Have any one of you all experienced this and how did you sort it out..

Many thanks in advance

I had a somewhat similar issue with abs light comming on and abs being applied at low speeds. In my case it was was an issue with the wheel speed sensor. Simply cleaning the wheel speed rings  and fixing it back worked. 

If the fault is with the rear abs sensor why is your mechanic recommending that you replace the whole abs unit? Seems like a typical makabass solution to me, replace everything and the fault will go away. 

If you are not sure about the scan results get it checked from mazna motors. 

Ring these guys and check for abs sensor prices, asiri motors 011 2 543355, rainbow motors 011 4 718967, néw rainbow 011 2 389589. 

"blinking"? could you pls attach a video , i haven't seen  ABS indicator is blinking.

if indicator doesn't say problem about ABS Controller module , no need to replace that. just replace only the wheel speed sensor.

best way to get a genuine ABS sensor is amayama.com (it cost me just around 7.5K LKR, but mazna asked me 13K for a genuine brand new and 7K for a used genuine).

if you order this online , find the right part number using the part catalog, rear left and right part numbers are different.

If you are a DIY guy, then this is a very easy job (read the service manual, you have to remove the rear seat as well).

i have uploaded a video about ABS self diagnosis.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYoYvhF7mc0

there is attached PDF in that video that you may refer to decode the error code :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6iDMN3PxtnRUoyelVNQTBDZVU/view?pageId=110512347860950658930

EDIT :

this image was taken from my order history from amayama. this part number (green color box) is for RR for Mazda 323 2000 (might be the same part number for Ford laser RR ABS wheel speed sensor).

Untitled.thumb.png.7b3c1b026e071c93d33d3be8a5e8c24f.png

Edited by MV-5

I had this issue sometime back. But after cleaning and servicing the brake system it went away and never came back. But only the ABS light was ON in my one. If both ABS & Hand brake lights are ON; there could be a problem in another component of your braking system as well. Did you check for a drop in brake oil level, Worn out brake pads/shoes etc? Anyways; I think it’s better to get it examined by a reputed place before replacing any parts. I also don’t think that there would be any reason to replace the ABS unit due to a fault in an ABS sensor.

53 minutes ago, LashNeo said:

I had this issue sometime back. But after cleaning and servicing the brake system it went away and never came back. But only the ABS light was ON in my one. If both ABS & Hand brake lights are ON; there could be a problem in another component of your braking system as well. Did you check for a drop in brake oil level, Worn out brake pads/shoes etc? Anyways; I think it’s better to get it examined by a reputed place before replacing any parts. I also don’t think that there would be any reason to replace the ABS unit due to a fault in an ABS sensor.

No, for wheel speed sensor failure, it would light on the ABS indicator only or ABS light with the handbrake indicator.

it depends on the error code, but the root cause might be the same.

ex:

error code 11 = Circuit failure of RF ABS wheelspeed sensor

error code 41 = RF ABS wheelspeed sensor and/or sensor rotor malfunction

error code 45 = RF ABS wheelspeed sensor input signal missing

in these all cases probably it is the RF wheelspeed sensor that we have to clean or replace (if it is 45 , just cleaning the sensor will not help, it might be a bad sensor or or problem in the wire connection).

• Like 1

On 6/12/2017 at 6:10 PM, LashNeo said:

Yes, I checked the break fluid level and the break pads, they were working fine. 

On 6/12/2017 at 10:29 AM, MV-5 said:

"blinking"? could you pls attach a video , i haven't seen  ABS indicator is blinking.

if indicator doesn't say problem about ABS Controller module , no need to replace that. just replace only the wheel speed sensor.

best way to get a genuine ABS sensor is amayama.com (it cost me just around 7.5K LKR, but mazna asked me 13K for a genuine brand new and 7K for a used genuine).

if you order this online , find the right part number using the part catalog, rear left and right part numbers are different.

If you are a DIY guy, then this is a very easy job (read the service manual, you have to remove the rear seat as well).

i have uploaded a video about ABS self diagnosis.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYoYvhF7mc0

there is attached PDF in that video that you may refer to decode the error code :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6iDMN3PxtnRUoyelVNQTBDZVU/view?pageId=110512347860950658930

EDIT :

this image was taken from my order history from amayama. this part number (green color box) is for RR for Mazda 323 2000 (might be the same part number for Ford laser RR ABS wheel speed sensor).

Untitled.thumb.png.7b3c1b026e071c93d33d3be8a5e8c24f.png

Thanks mate, this is great, will go through it and let you know the feedback. The error code was "c1175". Since the scanner did not have a option to select "ford laser", the baas fellow did the scan using Mazda, familia. I hope thats correct right? As both of you have suggested, it could be a makabaas solution to replace the whole unit. I will visit Mazna and do a proper scan soon. 

27 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Yes, I checked the break fluid level and the break pads, they were working fine. 

OK That’s good news. If you don’t feel anything unusual in breaking you may not have any issues in the normal breaking system. I just wanted to ensure that. Usually the handbrake light switches ON due to issues in the normal breaking system. I was thinking you might be having two issues here. One was related to the ABS system and the other related to normal breaking system of the car. So, it seems like issue is with the ABS system and as per the error code it’s most probably due to a loose connection in the wheel speed sensor.

Mazda BJ5P is equivalent to Ford laser and the error code you got should be correct.

But; just don’t replace the sensor or the control unit before ensuring that there aren’t any loose connections. Please refer the below link for details. :)

https://euroesi.mazda.co.jp/esicont/eu_eng/mazda3/20060311105619/html/id0402a7805700.html

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

. The error code was "c1175".

c1175 is error code 14 (one long flash + 4 short flashes)

Untitled.thumb.png.f43b01500e5e284fbceba2ea33e6b28b.png

and LashNeo has shared (link) the procedure (steps mentioned in the workshop manual is bit different) that should be followed to troubleshoot/fix the issue.unfortunately not even car mart follows this procedure for this error code.

this is not a DIY because i don't think you have the right SST (49 G066 001).

But as LashNeo said, check the connectivity first.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Guys, just to give you an update. I took the car to Mazna motors, as predicted it turned out to be a replacement of rear ABS sensor and rear break pads were also not in good condition. So they did the replacement both sensor and break pads and I also did an engine tune up cos Ive been feeling a small vibration/miss in the engine. All and all, they took about three hours to complete the task it cost me around 30K. I was really happy with the job they did from the reception to end. Their staff were like they knew exactly what they were doing and they had all required spare parts too. Just thought of sharing with you guys.

• Like 1