• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Degreaser to clean under vehicle????

Splat

Does anyone know the chemical or detergent used at service stations, to remove greasy grime and mud under vehicles???? I see them spraying this wonder stuff and with a wash off its all clean.. I want to stay away from kerosene a secret ingredient used by most service stations. So I plan to wash my vehicle by myself. Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Splat

On 6/11/2017 at 11:23 AM, Twin Turbo said:

Powerful chemical cleaners used in cleaning engine bays and under carrages cause problems later on.

for ex , alternators get shorted out as the coil within looses it's insulation.

Good luck.

TT.

Thank you TT I will sure consider that.... Have a wonderful day...:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fiat fan said:

most places snow wash the under carriage! It is quite good. But some places use cheap soap to make the snow thingy, then the quality of cleaning reduces.

Thanks Fiat fan for your reply I will be ware of that now , I am not surprised withe the cheap fluff trick's our people come up with these days...he..he..he.... I am thank full to Auto Lanka forum for creating a platform for awareness so we can inform one another be a step ahead and be aware. :locomotive: 

• Like 1

I’ve had a Diesel Land Rover where I used to de-grease the engine and undercarriage 2-3 times an year for 4.5 years!  Proper degreaser used correctly does not cause any issues at all.  Degreaser is obviously good for those annoying oil leaks. IMHO, there is NO need to use any other chemical detergent under a car. A pressure wash and a good old hand scrub with a brush (wherever that is required) is all you need.

• Like 1

Wonderful MrCat, elbow grease is the best way :locomotive:..... and by using only water; its very economical to :) thank you for your kind post. your much appreciated.  

As far as iknow most of the service stations except the recognized ones like automiraj.........  Use burnt engine oil to spray undercarriage along with kerosine. When billing they mention it as penitration oil. That is how they make profits

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with my car battery. The battery does not get charged when throttling. Also, the battery goes down pretty quickly. I took it to a mechanic in Wattala and he told me that I'll have to replace my alternator. As it is not in a usable condition anymore. I own a Proton Gen 2 and it's 90A alternator. Can you suggest me where I can buy a second alternator. What would be the cost for this?

@pragashonlink You are posting under a totally unrelated topic. Did the mechanic open up the alternator and decided or decide by just looking from outside. If it is the latter then he is out to make a fast buck. If so, take the car to a auto electrician specialized in alternators. Usually the alternators can be repaired by replacing the brushes and/or the  regulator/diode plate. Replace the bearings too when you are at it.