• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ford Laser 2000 - Manufactured in Japan or Singapore

Nuw123

Hi All,

I recently noticed there are ford laser 2000 cars, which the country of origin is Singapore. So Can i know is there a difference in market prices in Japan and Singapore . . .if not all cars are same quality and prices ? 

AFAIK Ford laser and mazda 323s have not been manufactured (or assembled) in Singapore.

this country of origin which is mention in the registration book make no sense for some car makes and models.

I have seen lot of KIA cars registration books with the filed "country of origin" is Japan.

38 minutes ago, MV-5 said:

AFAIK Ford laser and mazda 323s have not been manufactured (or assembled) in Singapore.

this country of origin which is mention in the registration book make no sense for some car makes and models.

I have seen lot of KIA cars registration books with the filed "country of origin" is Japan.

And Some Early Vios's as Made in Japan.

This is a very popular misconception. Country of origin is the country where the vehicle is shipped from. Not the country where the vehicle is made.

The country of origin field is taken from shipping documents not from the manufacturer. In the modern world, its tough to determine exactly where the bulk of a vehicle is made. 

Steel for body panels may come from india, engine from thailand, glass from china, seats from china, plastics from korea, airbag sensors from sri lanka (yessss... believe it or not. Takata airbag sensors are made in sri lanka after that nasty recall) and everything is put together in japan... thats how things work now...

To answer your question, ford laser was made in japan with a japanese engine (1500 cc version) or a malaysian engine (1600cc) version.

A friend of mine had a laser with the 1600 engine. It had done over 360,000km when he sold it. Even at that age, the engine was smooth with no oil loss or compression problems.

There is usually a reserved character/digit in the chassis number that tells you where the car was actually assembled. This is probably the most accurate way of finding out the exact country (or even assembly plant).

Workshop manual or the manufacturer's website should have the decoding information. 

16 minutes ago, Nuw123 said:

@MV-5, @Ruslan @Crosswind @DavyThank you very much for all the information. So since in the Registration paper the country of origin has been mentioned as Singapore, is there any other way to prove that this car (Ford Laser - 2000 - 1.6) has been made in Japan ??? 

go to this site, https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Ford/LASER

enter the chassis number (VIN). then press decode button.

48 minutes ago, Nuw123 said:

@MV-5Thanks, it says the MAN comapany is Mazda Japan. but not sure about other information, cz for year it says 1990 :o . . .

I think it is because Mazda (manufacture of this Ford) doesn't follow the conventional format of VIN.

Convention is that 10th digit (char) should be used to represent the manufacturing year. Mazda doesn't follow this .but what i understood is (might be wrong), after first 9 digits/chars , all the rest of digits represent the sequential number. in that sequential number first or second digit represent the assembly plant.

if your VIN number 10th and 11th digits are "0" , then i think that it is assembled in a plant in Japan.but i don't know which digit exactly represent the "plant" (10th or 11th)

you may get a better idea referring this:

http://www.club323f.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11344

EDIT : i searched the net , now i am sure that it is the 11th digit and , if 11th digit is 0, then it is from Hiroshima plant.

Edited by MV-5

4 hours ago, Nuw123 said:

@MV-5, @Ruslan @Crosswind @DavyThank you very much for all the information. So since in the Registration paper the country of origin has been mentioned as Singapore, is there any other way to prove that this car (Ford Laser - 2000 - 1.6) has been made in Japan ??? 

Why do you want to prove that its made in Japan? You are worried about selling it???

Haven't even bought the car... 

... Worried about selling already. Sigh. :rolleyes:

If you are so concerned, buy the car and stick something like this on. 

Made-in-font-b-Japan-b-font-Barcode-font

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok. Let’s say that you find two ford Lasers for sale.

One is in relatively bad shape but the country of origin is Japan. Other one is in awesome condition but it’s from Singapore. Which one you would buy???

Seriously… We are talking about a car which is almost two decades old and the last thing that I would worry about is the country of origin. If you love to have a ford laser; just hunt around and find a good specimen which is in good condition with maintenance history.

If you find one to your liking; would the country of origin matter anymore from there onwards???  The quality of the specimen would speak for itself wouldn’t it? :D

• 7 months later...
On 6/4/2017 at 10:53 PM, Crosswind said:

This is a very popular misconception. Country of origin is the country where the vehicle is shipped from. Not the country where the vehicle is made.

The country of origin field is taken from shipping documents not from the manufacturer. In the modern world, its tough to determine exactly where the bulk of a vehicle is made. 

Steel for body panels may come from india, engine from thailand, glass from china, seats from china, plastics from korea, airbag sensors from sri lanka (yessss... believe it or not. Takata airbag sensors are made in sri lanka after that nasty recall) and everything is put together in japan... thats how things work now...

To answer your question, ford laser was made in japan with a japanese engine (1500 cc version) or a malaysian engine (1600cc) version.

A friend of mine had a laser with the 1600 engine. It had done over 360,000km when he sold it. Even at that age, the engine was smooth with no oil loss or compression problems.

ford laser 2000 >> Made in Japan

One of my friends had a one when I was in Aussie. Engine is 1600 cc. Fuel economy is 11-12 km/l.  Yes engine is very reliable even at higher mileages.  Though it is bit aged still a very popular car there due to its reliability

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ford+laser+2000/k0?sort=rank

Edited by trish_auto

I drive a 2000 Ford Laser. Engine is 1500cc, made in Japan. Currently it has done close to 200k on the clock, rock solid car when think of its age and the mileage. Have traveled all parts of the country and still my daily driven ride :)