Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

MADZ

## Post Whoring - Part 3 ##

Recommended Posts

2004 Toyota 

Featured 2004 Toyota Crown Majesta 4.3L C Type at J-Spec Imports

 

‎2006 Mercedes

File:Mercedes S 400 HYBRID (W221) Facelift rear 20100410.jpg ...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Magnum said:

2004 Toyota 

Featured 2004 Toyota Crown Majesta 4.3L C Type at J-Spec Imports

 

‎2006 Mercedes

File:Mercedes S 400 HYBRID (W221) Facelift rear 20100410.jpg ...

lol ! Plus there's a similiar situation going on with the 2021 S-Class going on, everyone on the forums says it looks like a Sonata:  And I have to admit, the rear does bear a resemblance! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kavvz said:

lol ! Plus there's a similiar situation going on with the 2021 S-Class going on, everyone on the forums says it looks like a Sonata:  And I have to admit, the rear does bear a resemblance! :D 

When I first saw it I thought it was Genesis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2020 at 3:08 AM, Kavvz said:

Oh Wow! I'm impressed!

I take some of the negatisim back...Wish they actually set up a commercial service offering EV conversions like in India. It'll be awesome, AND good for the evironment. Much better than shelling out a ridiculous sum of money on a new car...

 

On 5/15/2020 at 4:55 AM, iRage said:

Like I sad before...that is the intent...to offer retro conversions. The VEGA super car was for R&D, investor attraction and market hype. 

There is a business case for EV conversions in Sri Lanka, although I simply don't understand why a supercar was needed to get there.  If they want to get from Borella to Bambalapitiya via Rajagiriya, Nawala, Nugegoda and Dehiwela, let them knock themselves out.

This time around the problem is technical. ICE cars are simply not designed to be converted to EVs. Hell, you can't even do a petrol-diesel conversion without messing up most of the time. I'm not even talking about the Mini but for even a standard car like a Corolla. Placing the battery bank, appropriately distributing the weight and ensuring safety, is not straightforward without some butchery and damaging the integrity of a car.

Edited by Crosswind
typo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crosswind said:

 

There is a business case for EV conversions in Sri Lanka, although I simply don't understand why a supercar was needed to get there.  If they want to get from Borella to Bambalapitiya via Rajagiriya, Nawala, Nugegoda and Dehiwela, let them knock themselves out.

This time around the problem is technical. ICE cars are simply not designed to be converted to EVs. Hell, you can't even do a petrol-diesel conversion without messing up most of the time. I'm not even talking about the Mini but for even a standard car like a Corolla. Placing the battery bank, appropriately distributing the weight and ensuring safety, is not straightforward without some butchery and damaging the integrity of a car.

Been hearing good things about this company, and while I don't know personally how effective their product is, it'll be interesting to see if it works out...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Crosswind said:

ICE cars are simply not designed to be converted to EVs...........

Placing the battery bank, appropriately distributing the weight and ensuring safety, is not straightforward without some butchery and damaging the integrity of a car.

Shouldn't this be the very reason why R&D is required? If they do some solid R&D on figuring out the tech, minimizing the butchering, testing the integrity of the structure and the safety after the conversion, I believe there's a market opportunity for such a business.

If electric is the future of cars, and manufactures stop making ICE consumables (or gasoline for vehicles) such conversions should take off.

Also I don't believe that they should start converting classics to EV. (Other than for building up the hype) Focusing on newer common vehicles would make much sense. If they were really successful, they could sell such technology back to the car manufacturer. Where the manufacturer can start making EVs of their existing ICE models with quick turnaround time.

(It's not clear what will happen to classics when proposed phasing out of ICE vehicles comes in to effect in EU and elsewhere. I'm hopeful that they will be made an exception with higher taxes than EVs and stringent regulation on driving)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, varotone said:

Shouldn't this be the very reason why R&D is required? If they do some solid R&D on figuring out the tech, minimizing the butchering, testing the integrity of the structure and the safety after the conversion, I believe there's a market opportunity for such a business.

If electric is the future of cars, and manufactures stop making ICE consumables (or gasoline for vehicles) such conversions should take off.

Also I don't believe that they should start converting classics to EV. (Other than for building up the hype) Focusing on newer common vehicles would make much sense. If they were really successful, they could sell such technology back to the car manufacturer. Where the manufacturer can start making EVs of their existing ICE models with quick turnaround time.

(It's not clear what will happen to classics when proposed phasing out of ICE vehicles comes in to effect in EU and elsewhere. I'm hopeful that they will be made an exception with higher taxes than EVs and stringent regulation on driving)

Let me build an analogy to this argument.

150 years ago, horse and bullock carts were mainstream. I'm sure someone would have said, why don't we simply fix engines to the horse carts instead of buying those expensive new things called cars.

And this would have been the result:

horsey_horseless.jpg

Retrofitting electrics to ICE cars sounds very tempting and there are plenty of step by step guides on the internet. Some are over 10 years old. To do this commercially, it needs to be safe and cost-effective. Which is extremely difficult to achieve. More R&D means more cost (and building a so-called supercar doesn't help the costs either). This cost eventually needs to be passed on to the customer. And finally it becomes much cheaper for a customer to buy a brand new EV than convert a 20-year old car to an EV, despite Sri Lanka's prohibitive tax structure.

The journey to EV is not going to be rapid. For a very long time, EV and ICE vehicles will coexist, the same way horse carts and cars coexisted. You just don't need to worry about running out of parts for your Corolla anytime in the next 20 or 30 years.

 

Edited by Crosswind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Let me build an analogy to this argument.

150 years ago, horse and bullock carts were mainstream. I'm sure someone would have said, why don't we simply fix engines to the horse carts instead of buying those expensive new things called cars.

And this would have been the result:

horsey_horseless.jpg

 

 

Uhh.....actually...weren't the first cars pretty much carriages with motors fitted to them ?

Daimler motor carriage (»belt-driven car«, 3 hp) - Media DatabaseGottlieb Daimler and his “Motor Carriage” · RaceFansDaimler motor carriage, 1886 - Media Database

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.gif.9326128593e033559c6bddf54a83f91d.gif

True! Thanks for keeping us outta trouble @kmeeg !  

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2020 at 10:58 PM, sathyajithj99 said:

FB_IMG_1589729242710.jpg

Its my sole mission to get one of these for my future project car. This is a must have item in my life. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kmeeg said:

Find me a VR38DETT in SL :D 

Jokes aside, gotta love Japan's car scene, you get a Nissan GTR, a Hiace with VR38DETT and a N-Box in the same video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Magnum said:

 

Jokes aside, gotta love Japan's car scene, 

Meanwhile in the US..🤦‍♂️

Never knew built in water fountain is a feature..🤣

 

20200528_205200.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 12:56 PM, kmeeg said:

Meanwhile in the US..🤦‍♂️

Also in the US... 😁

101001377_2797193137236873_9222302637242

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

FB_IMG_1590883198182.jpg

This is what happens when you fill up to the point fuel overflows

Edited by Magnum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very accurate. Damn 10mm socket can't be found when you need it the most.

MQlgHBj.jpg

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch! Makes me cringe just thinking about it. Okay @kmeeg I am definately, definately not buying any cars off you! :D 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...