Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

MADZ

## Post Whoring - Part 3 ##

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, varotone said:

The negative offset ones are the infamous "boku alloy"?

Yes that’s correct. Here in SL we only go by those names and buy them for style commonly. But among suv community when you do a lift and changing tire sizes there is a offset number that help to do the alignment properly. Wrong offset or not changing offset will lead to many problems. Most common ball joint bush leaks.

@Davy also did the same when he changed the tire size on his car. You can see the numbers on his post.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, varotone said:

The negative offset ones are the infamous "boku alloy"?

Generally deep dish wheels have a negative offset, but I think they could have a zero offset on a wider wheel as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Magnum said:

Generally deep dish wheels have a negative offset, but I think they could have a zero offset on a wider wheel as well

That's correct. It all depends on the design of the wheel. A deep dish wheel can be designed to have zero or even positive offset. After all, it's just the distance between the centre line of the wheel and the mounting surface (backspace). 

 

17 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

Wrong offset or not changing offset will lead to many problems. Most common ball joint bush leaks.

The thing that is directly affected as a result of changing wheel offset is scrub radius. Scrub radius is basically the distance between the centre line of the tyre and the suspension axis at the location where the tyre meets the ground. Photo for illustration below:

image.png.37db059f7797308421e51347b168ea6a.png

So if you change the wheel offset, you change the scrub radius. Affecting handling and steering response of the car. As a matter of fact, when I first use the Evo X wheels on my car with the original Evo tyres, I felt that the car unstable over uneven road surfaces. The car sort of swerved to a side even when going over a cat's eye on the road. This is why I used the original rims again as I'd rather have a stable car than good looks. With the new tyres, this effect is much less because the tyre is 10mm narrower than the Evo tyres. I have even more stable handling and steering now as the wheel alignment was done knowing that the scrub radius has changed. Since I will be going for coilovers which will have adjustable camber, I can adjust it so that the scrub radius is where it was at originally. 

The other thing about using wheels with excessive negative offset (swapping to deep dish wheels without checking suitability) is that it puts excess strain on the wheel bearings. The manufacturer's design ensures that the weight of the car is exerted through the middle of the bearing (or distributed evenly). But as soon as the offset changes, the weight shifts to a side of the bearing which causes premature wear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 1:40 AM, kmeeg said:

Disneyland Rides for petrol-heads

 

Moab UT :) Lived just 2.5 hours away from there....went over few times a year in my 1000$ Jeep Cherokee which got a good trashing and still kept going..never had the balls to try the serious trails though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, iRage said:

Moab UT :) Lived just 2.5 hours away from there....went over few times a year in my 1000$ Jeep Cherokee which got a good trashing and still kept going..never had the balls to try the serious trails though. 

Wow..!! 2.5hours? Lucky you.. 

For sure $1000 Jeep you don’t feel much pain for trail damage. And I guess yours should be those good old front and rear solid axle Jeep Cherokee? Too bad only Wrangler still have solid axels..😢

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

Wow..!! 2.5hours? Lucky you.. 

For sure $1000 Jeep you don’t feel much pain for trail damage. And I guess yours should be those good old front and rear solid axle Jeep Cherokee? Too bad only Wrangler still have solid axels..😢

 

 

 

True to that solid axles seem to have much more advantage off road than independent suspension, in my case L200 and the montero sport manage difficult terrain far better than the montero and seem to have a bit more clearance as well, comfort-wise all are equally uncomfortable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Wow..!! 2.5hours? Lucky you.. 

For sure $1000 Jeep you don’t feel much pain for trail damage. And I guess yours should be those good old front and rear solid axle Jeep Cherokee? Too bad only Wrangler still have solid axels..😢

 

 

 

Yupp...solid axle trucks....I was more worried about what it would do to me than the car :) put quite a few dings on it...largest was a huge dent on the passenger door after it slid down and hit a rock bank (never fixed it because fixing it cost nearly 500$). Every one started calling it the dinger because it was covered with dings and diy dent repair and primer jobs :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:wub:

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: outdoor

Edited by Magnum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2018 at 8:23 AM, tiv said:

True to that solid axles seem to have much more advantage off road than independent suspension, in my case L200 and the montero sport manage difficult terrain far better than the montero and seem to have a bit more clearance as well, comfort-wise all are equally uncomfortable!

Pajero/Montero is similar to Montero Sport in terms of comfort? :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Pajero/Montero is similar to Montero Sport in terms of comfort? :unsure:

Comfort is pretty much the same, the pajero/ montero is better on corners, less body roll

In the montero sport I have put harder bushes and bump stops so its a bit better, aftermarket bits to improve the overall comfort, and softer tyres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tiv said:

Comfort is pretty much the same, the pajero/ montero is better on corners, less body roll

In the montero sport I have put harder bushes and bump stops so its a bit better, aftermarket bits to improve the overall comfort, and softer tyres.

The Pajero has a unibody structure which explains why it has less body roll. Whats the make and model of the soft tyres you are referring to? My uncle has a Montero Sport as well, I noticed that it doesnt absorb small potholes well, even though it has fat tyres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Magnum said:

 My uncle has a Montero Sport as well, I noticed that it doesnt absorb small potholes well, even though it has fat tyres

In terms of tires it depends of the side wall. If the tire is standard load it will be a soft ride. But if the tire is Load C / D / E the ride gets rougher as the side walls have 6 - 10 ply.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

sMVsaR9.jpg

Damn...!! Running without paying?😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kmeeg said:

In terms of tires it depends of the side wall. If the tire is standard load it will be a soft ride. But if the tire is Load C / D / E the ride gets rougher as the side walls have 6 - 10 ply.

 

 

Large vans and SUV tyres are normally 8 ply. Higher the ply, stronger the tyre is. In fact, nowadays most tyres come with the weight rating instead of ply rating. I'm not entirely sure whether the weight rating has anything to do with the comfort of the tyre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tiv said:

Comfort is pretty much the same, the pajero/ montero is better on corners, less body roll

In the montero sport I have put harder bushes and bump stops so its a bit better, aftermarket bits to improve the overall comfort, and softer tyres.

Isn't the Montero sport built on same chassis of L200? There are some changes in suspension but I don't think it would be as comfy as a Montero or a Pajero.

Same applies to Toyota Fortuner. Will never be as comfy as a Prado.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Magnum said:

Large vans and SUV tyres are normally 8 ply. Higher the ply, stronger the tyre is. In fact, nowadays most tyres come with the weight rating instead of ply rating. I'm not entirely sure whether the weight rating has anything to do with the comfort of the tyre.

8ply? 😱 That’s Load D Off-road tire sidewall.

Not sure what construction of that 8 ply side wall has. 

From what I’ve seen even with Land cruiser 200 series getting 4 ply Dunlop Grantrec 285/60R18 tires from dealership. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Magnum said:

The Pajero has a unibody structure which explains why it has less body roll. Whats the make and model of the soft tyres you are referring to? My uncle has a Montero Sport as well, I noticed that it doesnt absorb small potholes well, even though it has fat tyres

Dunlop Grandtrek 265/70 R17 ,

8 hours ago, Magnum said:

Large vans and SUV tyres are normally 8 ply. Higher the ply, stronger the tyre is. In fact, nowadays most tyres come with the weight rating instead of ply rating. I'm not entirely sure whether the weight rating has anything to do with the comfort of the tyre.

i think they are 6 Ply, my uncle owns a tyre shop, old school tyre dealer, he recommended these - showed a marked improvement in comparison to the Bridgestone tyres it came with

1 hour ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Isn't the Montero sport built on same chassis of L200? There are some changes in suspension but I don't think it would be as comfy as a Montero or a Pajero.

Same applies to Toyota Fortuner. Will never be as comfy as a Prado.

It would be unwise to compare comfort just because the anterior part of the chassis of the above vehicles are shared, the L200 and Hilux both are leaf sprung whereas the Fortuner and Montero Sport are both coil sprung, they are shorter in length and the placement of shock absorbers are different, the final drive, diff ratios, gear ratios are different which also makes minor improvements. The body in turn is just a tub in the pickups which are directly bolted to the chassis, whereas the suv have different mounts. As far as I know the difference between a coil spring and a leaf spring is not "minor"

 

Would it not be wise to consider what the chap who actually owns the vehicle says rather than just jot down what you "think" is "comfy" or not "comfy"?

 

Lastly it would be hilarious to argue on which SUV is "?comfy" when all these are off road vehicles, work horses more oriented towards the farmhouse rather than the city, whereas due to the peer pressured prestige factor and high values they run in this country we end up with threads like this!

The Prado / Montero in whatever generation cannot be considered comfortable, but they do however manage fairly well as SUVs, given that they carry 4wd gear, underbody guards, high tension coil springs and gas shock absorbers and a lot of weight. 

Come on discussions like these should be more at home with vehicles like a C Class merc or 5 series 7 series BMWs not these. sigh

Edited by tiv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing that we have improved our ambulance service, But wish we have a system like this also;

 

On a side note its great if we all can get training from the red-cross for CPR and First aid and renew it ideally every year. Atleast with my experience I know one IT company that we can sign up for this training for free. Trust there are other companies who do the same. And I'm sharing this bcos its a concern for me as my parents doesn't live close to me where I can run in case of an emergency.

 

Edited by kmeeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2018 at 9:01 AM, tiv said:

Dunlop Grandtrek 265/70 R17 ,

i think they are 6 Ply, my uncle owns a tyre shop, old school tyre dealer, he recommended these - showed a marked improvement in comparison to the Bridgestone tyres it came with

It would be unwise to compare comfort just because the anterior part of the chassis of the above vehicles are shared, the L200 and Hilux both are leaf sprung whereas the Fortuner and Montero Sport are both coil sprung, they are shorter in length and the placement of shock absorbers are different, the final drive, diff ratios, gear ratios are different which also makes minor improvements. The body in turn is just a tub in the pickups which are directly bolted to the chassis, whereas the suv have different mounts. As far as I know the difference between a coil spring and a leaf spring is not "minor"

 

Would it not be wise to consider what the chap who actually owns the vehicle says rather than just jot down what you "think" is "comfy" or not "comfy"?

 

Lastly it would be hilarious to argue on which SUV is "?comfy" when all these are off road vehicles, work horses more oriented towards the farmhouse rather than the city, whereas due to the peer pressured prestige factor and high values they run in this country we end up with threads like this!

The Prado / Montero in whatever generation cannot be considered comfortable, but they do however manage fairly well as SUVs, given that they carry 4wd gear, underbody guards, high tension coil springs and gas shock absorbers and a lot of weight. 

Come on discussions like these should be more at home with vehicles like a C Class merc or 5 series 7 series BMWs not these. sigh

Wouldn't that increase tyre wear? If i'm not wrong I think you take your SUVs off road, going for a lower ply tyre would increase the chances of a puncture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magnum said:

Wouldn't that increase tyre wear? If i'm not wrong I think you take your SUVs off road, going for a lower ply tyre would increase the chances of a puncture

Atleast for me 6ply Load C A/T tire is a good balance between comfort and toughness for offroad use.

I think Load D or E would be too uncomfortable  and would be overkill unless you have a heavy load or pulling a camper trailer. Not an expert, @tiv can advice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×