• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

## Post Whoring - Part 3 ##

MADZ

3 hours ago, Magnum said:

This guy has his priorities right "We don't need Hellcats, we need Actys."

Reminds me of the Viva 660cc. Absolutely love those small engines. Viva had rpm to 10. Turn off A/C you get Turbo boost.. (Just kidding)

image.png.7894255215478d18e20ccd17710a6495.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Reminds me of the Viva 660cc. Absolutely love those small engines. Viva had rpm to 10. Turn off A/C you get Turbo boost.. (Just kidding)

It would be pretty damn funny if someone took one of those turbo charged kei cars and jimmy rigged the AC switch to increase boost every time it gets switched on :D 

1 hour ago, fiat fan said:

Ahh no worries bro. Things happen in life!

It was around 2009 wasn’t it?

Did you enjoy any other fun rides while you were here?

Not really old chap, I was broke most of the time. My parents were doing okay by Sri Lankan standards, but as a student overseas that just means you're poor! I didn't have a lot of spending money until I started doing my masters. At that point, the university gave me a grant and I was a bit flush with cash as I worked and got paid by the university etc (they had a co-op / internship program where grad students could work for larger companies for part of the year)  Nothing major, you guys would probably laugh at the sum now, but for a starving student going from $0 to major pay checks was pivotal and that's when the whole Mazda Rx8 / 350Z & Infinity G35 craze was at its height! :D

However the following year I did get a job that had a major travel component to it, so I remember I just ended up renting a whole heap of cars back to back as I could expense them back to the firm. They were all standard rental cars, nothing special, but for me it was like Christmas every-time I walked onto the rental lot. I ended up checking out a lot of cars that way (mostly basic American made models, as airport rentals were pretty basic those days so I drove a lot of Chevy Malibu's, Impalas, Dodge Calibers etc).

Nothing fancy, but for me it was pretty exciting being able to drive a different car every few weeks.  What stood out was that all the American cars had crappy interiors  (except for the Dodge models, those were nicer I think). I remember being upgraded to a Nissan Maxima once as they had sold out of the lower end cars and I was blown away at how nice the interior was after being used to the crappy slab sided dashboards of the American models I usually drove...Its more evenly matched now as the American cars have caught up, but back then; you could drive a Japanese car and jump into its American counterpart only to feel like you had gone back in time 5 years!  

Edited by Kavvz

1 hour ago, sathyajithj99 said:

When you fix sudu yakada to your premio at the same place you fixed them for your leyland viking 

FB_IMG_1602594772934.jpg

මල්ලි බොරැල්ල හන්දියට කීයද? නැත්තම් මීටර් ටැක්සි ද?

(Brother, how much to Borella junction? Or is this meter taxi?)

• Haha 2

On 10/14/2020 at 12:39 AM, sathyajithj99 said:

When you fix sudu yakada to your premio at the same place you fixed them for your leyland viking 

FB_IMG_1602594772934.jpg

They fix these in Bangladesh to protect the car from scratches caused by rickshaws. I was told they get terrible traffic in Dhaka

image.thumb.png.bb77bba96bb9e348f6a8f1dc0991ad86.png

Edited by Magnum

On 10/13/2020 at 7:09 PM, sathyajithj99 said:

FB_IMG_1602594772934.jpg

Some what common and  necessary in Bangladesh where rickshaws tend to stop only after slightly hitting rear buffer in a traffic stop. This has gone to the next level though.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:53 AM, Kavvz said:

An Obscure American Automaker Now Has the World’s Fastest Car : SSC’s Tuatara clocked a record 316.11 mph (508.73 km/h)  on a dusty desert highway outside Las Vegas.

Funny thing is with all the engineering that goes into a Bugatti it needs so much of cooling to sustain the engine to run at that sort of speeds, but a small time American car product achieves it easily. You say SSC does anyone know that brand let alone any of the models? But say Bugatti and everyone knows the Veyron. So the Germans are either working too hard at engineering whereas its easily achievable for others.

But its all good, atleast there is some competition, what will Musk do next? Will he come up with a 4 door that goes supersonic? Or maybe go to Mars.

Edited by Gummybr

7 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Funny thing is with all the engineering that goes into a Bugatti it needs so much of cooling to sustain the engine to run at that sort of speeds, but a small time American car product achieves it easily. You say SSC does anyone know that brand let alone any of the models? But say Bugatti and everyone knows the Veyron. So the Germans are either working too hard at engineering whereas its easily achievable for others.

But its all good, atleast there is some competition, what will Musk do next? Will he come up with a 4 door that goes supersonic? Or maybe go to Mars.

Well Musk is putting thrusters on his Roadster apparently so who knows! (I personally belive Elon is more of a showman rather than a substantial source of accurate information; a bit like our own Vega team, so I am looking at the whole compressed air thrusters on the Roadster thing with a bit of skepticism. I mean when even Mercedes-Benz can't get their air suspensions to work for 2 years striaght without maintenance, how on earth is Elon who can't even get paint on his cars properly or the touch screens to stop delaminating get compressed air thrusters to work right...)

However a Tesla Roadster (and even the Porsche Taycan) would be faster 0-60 than this or a Veyron I believe, and about 1 mil USD cheaper, so no competition there!

SSC is owned by a chap who made a fortune off medical device making and like Christian von Koenigsegg did, he is using funds from that established business to quietly build up a car company.  Pretty cool as he is quite the underdog coming in and beating giants like Bugatti (VW) and Koenigsegg at their own game..l wonder what Christian Von Koenigsegg has to say about all this? As SSC seems to be encroaching on his turf a bit while simultaneously poaching his business plan as well?!

Edited by Kavvz

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Well Musk is putting thrusters on his Roadster apparently so who knows! (I personally belive Elon is more of a showman rather than a substantial source of accurate information; a bit like our own Vega team, so I am looking at the whole compressed air thrusters on the Roadster thing with a bit of skepticism. I mean when even Mercedes-Benz can't get their air suspensions to work for 2 years striaght without maintenance, how on earth is Elon who can't even get paint on his cars properly or the touch screens to stop delaminating get compressed air thrusters to work right...)

However a Tesla Roadster (and even the Porsche Taycan) would be faster 0-60 than this or a Veyron I believe, and about 1 mil USD cheaper, so no competition there!

SSC is owned by a chap who made a fortune off medical device making and like Christian von Koenigsegg did, he is using funds from that established business to quietly build up a car company.  Pretty cool as he is quite the underdog coming in and beating giants like Bugatti (VW) and Koenigsegg at their own game..l wonder what Christian Von Koenigsegg has to say about all this? As SSC seems to be encroaching on his turf a bit while simultaneously poaching his business plan as well?!

He is a brilliant marketing guy for what its worth. He knows when to come out with the a bang, yes I agree that he is kind of showy and wants to be taken notice of, but he has said that he wants to do something and have achieved it somehow (gone past the deadlines but still made it). So you got to give the guy his due.

On the 0-60mph yes the Tesla's do very well, but they cannot still reach the speeds achieved by the SSC yet.

SSC has been there for sometime but then again they are not a main stream manufacturer. Still to come up with that sort of vehicle is commendable. (Bugatti used to say that tires might burst, you need special tires etc)

4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

He is a brilliant marketing guy for what its worth. He knows when to come out with the a bang, yes I agree that he is kind of showy and wants to be taken notice of, but he has said that he wants to do something and have achieved it somehow (gone past the deadlines but still made it). So you got to give the guy his due.

True. Bugger is a marketing genius! 

On 10/20/2020 at 12:53 AM, Kavvz said:

An Obscure American Automaker Now Has the World’s Fastest Car : SSC’s Tuatara clocked a record 316.11 mph (508.73 km/h)  on a dusty desert highway outside Las Vegas.

Are they connected to the ThrustSSC that holds the world landspeed record? Or does SSC stand for something?

On 10/26/2020 at 7:26 AM, MaleCortana said:

Are they connected to the ThrustSSC that holds the world landspeed record? Or does SSC stand for something?

No relationship there I think (Thurst SSC - Thurst Super Sonic Car - was a British outfit, this guy is American and in this case the SSC stands for Shelby Super Cars after the owner Jerod Shelby, who is apparently no relation of Carol Shelby and the family behind Shelby Fords and the famous Shelby Cobra etc...Weird that: Having two bonkers car makers with the same last name who are completely unrelated.)

Interesting engine setup through.  I can't say I understand it fully, but it looks like its based on GM's LS motor? I don't get it, but its kinda cool how they can get all that power out of it without it blowing up or overheating...? (Also uses regular pump fuel according to the article.) It all sounds so surreal...Maybe the Americans know what they are doing after all?

Also for the mini-version of the Tautara, which is coming later next year, they claim to be getting 800hp out of a non aspirated 6 litre V8? How? Mad-mad engine compression? ? If anyone can understand the voodoo magic going on under that hood please enlighten me...

Edited by Kavvz