• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

## Post Whoring - Part 3 ##

MADZ

19 hours ago, Davy said:

There's one for sale in Australia right now for 600K AUD with just 13,000km on the ODO. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-nissan-skyline-gt-r-m-spec-nur-bnr34-manual-4wd/SSE-AD-6793939

Saw the ad a couple of days ago and cried myself to sleep.

600K AUD = 80,000,000 LKR

Thats a fair price for a car thats landed and complied in Australia, in fact some Facebook page had quoted this car also would cost the same.

10 hours ago, iRage said:

Technology transfer/trickle down is not a direct transfer of parts. Halo cars are supposed to inspire the consumer and get them excited about the brand by showing the brand's design and technological capabilities and imagination and get people excited about buying the lower cars as they see little bits of the halo car in them.

Different components trickle down...specifically design cues and most often know how. Nissan is not the best of comparisons because Nissan was broke and pretty much got in to the habit of redesigning Renaults for its product lineup and replacing proper composite parts with plastic parts :D But if you think about it...there is a lot of know-how that transferred from building the GTR in to Nissan's own engines....it is not by some sheer luck that Nissan made the world's lightest most powerful 1.5L engine...nor that they have some of the nicest, crispiest and balanced Japanese V6 engines (albeit all connected to absolute shit gearboxes). In the older models....if it wasn't for the R32/33/34 GTRs do you really think cars like the Gloria/Cedric/Laurel/StageA would actually exist ? Cars that pretty much pushed their engines to the max as well that is well balanced (for its size) and has an amazing AWD system ? (which by the way was what smaller cars like the Sunny and the ATESSA systems were based on). 

Hmm... I seem to have missed all the GOOD Nissan vehicles during my period of ownership with the brand and bought all the crappy ones? :D  Interesting fact that! Although to my credit I was on the hunt for a Cedric/Laurel at one point. Unfortunately that never really worked out...

10 hours ago, iRage said:

Honda is a better example....the new NSX...the design cues have moved down to their other models (the S660 looks like a baby NSX).

Yes the S660 is dead cool to look at and I understand it drives really well too. Definately one of my first picks if I was looking for a nice affordable second car / drivers car. I guess its too late now, prices must have gone up on those considerably I guess. It was one of the few small engine cars that were worth getting...

10 hours ago, Gummybr said:

There was a one off Yamaha as well called the OX99. That was the time Japanese manufacturers went crazy. 

Wow! I actually found some footage on it with all three of the prototypes!  

2. Also a decent video with some background on some epic Jap cars (Includes noth the Nissan R390 GT1 and the Yamaha 0X99) 

And is it just me or is the guy reving the engine on a 0X99 in this video a bit stupid...Honestly, why is he holding rev's like that? 

Edited by Kavvz

8 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Hmm... I seem to have missed all the GOOD Nissan vehicles during my period of ownership with the brand and bought all the crappy ones? :D  Interesting fact that! Although to my credit I was on the hunt for a Cedric/Laurel at one point. Unfortunately that never really worked out...

Yes the S660 is dead cool to look at and I understand it drives really well too. Definately one of my first picks if I was looking for a nice affordable second car / drivers car. I guess its too late now, prices must have gone up on those considerably I guess. It was one of the few small engine cars that were worth getting...

You might want to look in to the Copen as well. Its not as pricey as the Honda...slightly cheaper and more practical too and still loads of fun. As I just mentioned..it is not as pricey as the S660...but all the S660 cravers are now looking in to Copens as well...so prices of the used ones might be going up.

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

Its now got something called the drift analyser. You get stars based on the drifts you do.P90398988-highRes.thumb.jpg.02e327fef1c3b3ac2ec5c77e554f2279.jpg

What? For real? Wow. MB installs a drift mode and now this from BMW!? Amazing times we live in !! Bravo BMW ? 

Edited by Kavvz

8 hours ago, iRage said:

You might want to look in to the Copen as well. Its not as pricey as the Honda...slightly cheaper and more practical too and still loads of fun. As I just mentioned..it is not as pricey as the S660...but all the S660 cravers are now looking in to Copens as well...so prices of the used ones might be 

Oh sorry I didn't mean to imply I was looking to buy one: I did sell the car I had...But definitely not looking to buy till after the risks of COVID-19 are mitigated somewhat and things start showing some recovery again...

Edited by Kavvz

Here's something I never knew. Lamborghini Diablo SV used Nissan 300ZX headlamps.

Diablo SV (1999)[edit]

220px-LamborghiniDiabloSV.jpg

Lamborghini Diablo SV (Post-facelift)

The Diablo received a mid-cycle facelift in 1999. Lamborghini simplified the model range by eliminating the "base" Diablo (since the SV model had become the new entry-level trim) and applied universal revisions across the lineup. The most immediately noticeable exterior change was the replacement of the previous Diablo's pop-up headlamp units with fixed composite lenses, borrowed under license from their original application in the Nissan 300ZX (Z32). All models were also fitted with new 18 inch wheels.

Who knew

8 hours ago, iRage said:

You should also know that until the mid 80s...Toyota was simply playing a catch up game to Nissan. The Sunny was always a step ahead of the Corolla....the Skylines and the Laurels and Glorias were pushing Toyota to do more with the Crown, Mark 2/Chaser/etc...even the 2000GT came about because Toyota wanted a car that could compete in the market against Nissan which had a youthful and exciting image.

@iRageWhat do you mean until the mid-80's? Toyota is STILL playing catchup! Name a Toyota model and I promise you, I'll name a better Nissan offering...

Open to all really: Toyota fans? Tell me your favorite model from the current Toyota or Lexus lineup and I'll provide you with the better Nissan alternative.

Edited by Kavvz

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

@iRageWhat do you mean until the mid-80's? Toyota is STILL playing catchup! Name a Toyota model and I promise you, I'll name a better Nissan offering...

Open to all really: Toyota fans? Tell me your favorite model from the current Toyota or Lexus lineup and I'll provide you with the better Nissan alternative.

Well....since the mid 90s Nissan simply started losing the game...they stopped being the first to market and first to introduce kind of edge they had (and then they started playing catchup to the likes of Toyota and Honda.). For example...the B12 was the first sedan in its class in Japan to offer things like power mirrors, windows, etc...Worst yet..by the 2000s came about they just simply were not reliable as well. Granted..the last few years Nissan has done some really cool tech developments...Nissan's pro-pilot is unbeleivable compared to the weird stuff that Toyota and Subaru does. They came up with the most commercially viable EV for the masses so far. Then their ePower is a new direction no one dared to go. Then their Variable compression engines are quite note worthy. But they are too strapped for cash to bring it to market in decent time. By the time they materialize things the others have already gone ahead and done it or offered something shinier.

As for better Nissan alternatives even from the current lineup..sorry...no...and that by itself is the issue. Don't you think they have lost their footing when you have to make a challenge to offer a better Nissan alternative to a Toyota in a forum full of car enthusiasts ?

But never mind..lets play :

Corolla/Mazda 3/Civic : Nissan has not had a worthy competitor for ages (the last good all rounder in the segment was the B13..and possibly the B15). The sylphy...the N16/G11 were decent but thirsty and too soft but still the Axela/Lancer/Civic were much better cars and the Toyota just simply offered better economy. Then there is the latest Syplhy...misaligned interior and exterior panels !!! If I am not mistaken the G11 had more rear leg room and head space than an Accor and Camry of the period

Mark X, Lexus IS, Crown:

Skyline/Fuga..nice engines...feels luxurious, really nice V6s...but then it just stops from there...does not offer the handling or the response as the other cars.  Also..the interior design just feels a bit too dated.

Camry/ES/Mazda 6/Accord: Teana...again...good v6 engine...and then it just ends there. The suspension is too pudgy and the transmission just made it whiny. Granted the first generation (J31 series) does feel more refined than the Camry of the period). but then the cars like the Camry and Accord and even the 6 offered a lot more tech innovation than the Teana.

RAV4/CRV/MX-5: X Trail was late to enter the market...was a worthy competitor to the RAV4 and CRV at its first entry....but then it got too bulky and then with the 3rd gen it just became unreliable as well. The only thing the X Trail did offer in terms of something new was a clean diesel in its class. After that...a dead line. 

Hiace/Alphard/Voxy/Noah/LiteAce/TownAce/Delica D5/ Honda StepWagon:

Vans were Nissan's bread and butter back in the day ! The Urvan and Caravan were much much more plusher and capable than the Hiace and Deliva of the period...when the whole passenger van segment took of Urvan/Caravan were much much more advanced..then they released the Elgrand which was in a league of its own. Even the Serena...yes Sri Lankans have issues with it..but it had much better offerings than the LiteAce/TownAce of the period. Now even Honda makes a better highway cruiser than Nissan. Granted they do have pretty good success with Serena.

Vitz/Yaris/Aqua/Mazda 2/ Fit: The March is out dated and even when the current model came out there was nothing new. It was the same old as what everyone else was offering. I mean c'mon no one else though of putting a super charger and a turbo charger in a hatch but Nissan did back then. Granted the current March did have a few special variants thanks to Autech. The eNote is a success due to the ePower tech...Even the previous gen Vitz (the actual Vitz not the thel higana 1 L version they made for fleets) are pretty nippy and responsive compared to the March and very chuckable. Drivability wise the Fit and Mazda 2 have been much better for like ever and the march is last in line in sales (for good reason). Again..nothing new. A new model has been spotted being tested..so lets hope there is something worthwhile.

CHR/Vezel : Okay..this is one area Nissan struck gold with with the Juke and even the Qashwai by being the first in the category (more or less).  

Sports cars....well...Nissan was the only manufacturer in Japan brae enough to stick with it. The GTR had amazing tech back then and even now...however...again....aren't you tired of seeing the same old GTR with different lights and bumpers and engine being tuned up again and again and again ? Yes the Supra is a BMW..but it is a good BMW....The LFA was out of this world.

RC/LC : The fairlady is a sportier ride whilst the Lexus are a bit of a GT and a sportster....but then the Lexus do offer far more advanced tech and better refinement than the failady. The Skyline coupe...feels outdated and although the engine is nice..the rest is just a bit off. 

86/BRZ : Well...Nissan really does not have anything in this category does it ? 

LandCruisers: Well the Patrol is nice..but then it just went wierd and we all crave for the old one from the 90s ! The pathfinder/Xterra...again nice vehicles but simply falls short.

Then there are the new Nissans....has potential but simply does not seem to make the traction they promised. Kicks over here for example..nice vehicle...but then that is it...its just nice...it was doing quite well until the Yaris Cross came along. The new Teana...no idea...but by all accounts it is better than the outgoing moel..has a nice engine and transmission and suspension is a lot better..but something is missing compared to the Camry and Accord that have gotten a lot better.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

LandCruisers: Well the Patrol is nice..but then it just went wierd and we all crave for the old one from the 90s ! The pathfinder/Xterra...again nice vehicles but simply falls short.

Machan, Does Nissan has any with solid axles and lockers now? And Pathfinder, Xtrail is no more SUV right?  Even Patrol is all independent suspension right?

Edited by kmeeg

4 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Machan, Does Nissan has any with solid axles and lockers now? And Pathfinder, Xtrail is no more SUV right?  Even Patrol is all independent suspension right?

Yes the new Patrol is has independent suspension front and rear. And yes, no none of the Nissans have solid axles now. In fact as far as I know no Japanese vehicle has solid axles any more...

6 hours ago, iRage said:

Don't you think they have lost their footing when you have to make a challenge to offer a better Nissan alternative to a Toyota in a forum full of car enthusiasts ?

But never mind..lets play :

Hooly! Wow. I didn't expect that reply. In fact I was going to be silly and just answer "Nissan Patrol" to anything anyone said as all I said boils down to roughly: Name a Toyota vehicle and I'll name a better Nissan one...   So technically it would be a win! :D 

(I mean SL is now pretty much a one-man-show country right, so why not just Nissan Patrol everything for the win...!!) 

Edited by Kavvz

27 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Yes the new Patrol is has independent suspension front and rear. And yes, no none of the Nissans have solid axles now. In fact as far as I know no Japanese vehicle has solid axles any more...

Machan,

LC70 sold till date has front+ rear solid axles.

As has as I know all other Toyota SUVs sold today solid rear axle ne? LC200, LC Prado, Lexus GX, Lexus LX,.. I think they all come from Toyota plant in Tahara, Aichi, Japan. I searched a little bit more on that factory and I saw that every 1/5 Toyota vehicle is road testes and every single Lexus vehicle is road tested from that factory. No wonder they have such a high quality. I hope mine was 1/5 that was road tested too.. LoL..

• Like 1