• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

## Post Whoring - Part 3 ##

MADZ

22 hours ago, kmeeg said:

200 only got brake based A-trac and crawl control right? If you off-road with it you would over heat the brakes and IFS won't be strong as solid axles right?

9 hours ago, Kavvz said:

For purely off road use I think the 70 series setup can't be beat. For dual use- well then maybe there is a case for the 200, or at least something to consider there...

Well..that is the thing...the LC200 also does pretty damn well. Most of our fleets comprise of Prados, LC200s and 70 troop carriers and pickups (the wagons are fewer). THe thing is..the LC200s pretty much go and do everything that the 70 does. Like I said before...the simpler old school tech of the 70 makes it a lot easier to upgrade the suspension system and such. So it is a bit unfair to say the LC200 can't do what the 70 can.

13 hours ago, iRage said:

Well..that is the thing...the LC200 also does pretty damn well. Most of our fleets comprise of Prados, LC200s and 70 troop carriers and pickups (the wagons are fewer). THe thing is..the LC200s pretty much go and do everything that the 70 does. Like I said before...the simpler old school tech of the 70 makes it a lot easier to upgrade the suspension system and such. So it is a bit unfair to say the LC200 can't do what the 70 can.

True. And they are saying that about IFS vs solid axles as well : As in the IFS systems have caught up or can do 90%-99% of what the solid axles can do off-road and completely out perform them on road...I can't comment on off-roading; for my off-road activities are limited, but for on-road use with the occasional gravel road, or the occasional jaunt through a national park, I guess an IFS based system like the LC200 or even the newer Patrol (if u can afford it) makes sense...

But then again I'm looking at it from the point of view of a person who uses an SUV on road. For the hardcore off-roader  that extra 10% of durability or what not, might make the difference between coming home or spending a grubby couple of hours getting unstuck, etc. Its a whole different kettle of fish when you look at it that way...

Edited by Kavvz

On 9/12/2020 at 10:02 AM, iRage said:

Also @iRage since you mentioned Prados, LC200's and LC70's....

So hypothetically speaking,  if you had to go cross country through mainly 200km of unpaved roads along with some (maybe 2-5km) of crazy Kabilitha type mud tracks and river crossing sections in order to deliver parts, medical supplies or say address a leak at some dam in a remote area: Which of the vehicles from the fleet  are  you going to take? A Prado,  LC200, or a LC70. (Assume all three vehicles have snorkels, 31 inch mud tires, and identical V6 petrol engines) 

(No point asking @kmeeg : He's going to make a run for the LC70 faster than a MP reaching out for his car permit...!!)

Edited by Kavvz
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

Also @iRage since you mentioned Prados, LC200's and LC70's....

So hypothetically speaking,  if you had to go cross country through mainly 200km of unpaved roads along with some (maybe 2-5km) of crazy Kabilitha type mud tracks and river crossing sections in order to deliver parts, medical supplies or say address a leak at some dam in a remote area: Which of the vehicles from the fleet  are  you going to take? A Prado,  LC200, or a LC70. (Assume all three vehicles have snorkels, 31 inch mud tires, and identical V6 petrol engines) 

(No point asking @kmeeg : He's going to make a run for the LC70 faster than a MP reaching out for his car permit...!!)

iRage should be lucky than us to have turbo diesel machan. 2.8 turbo diesel on the prado, 4.5 v8 single turbo on LC70 and 4.5 v8 twin turbo on LC200.

Here LC200 specs are pathetic. Starting from 24gal fuel tank for a 5.7L V8 petrol..(even the 4runner 4L got 23gal tank even I still complain about it vs you can get 47.5 gal (180L) on Prado and LC. Even though LC200 got a bigger body it got a fraction smaller tires than a baby 4runner resulting less ground clearance. So when you want bigger tires you probably should go for a body mount chop. 

13 hours ago, Kavvz said:

So hypothetically speaking, 

Interestingly, have done almost that :) Sadly in 120 and 150 Prados because that is what the department I work with usually get. The LC200s, which are mostly GXes and GXLs) are usually reserved more for the higher ups :) The 70s are mostly troop carriers and not that many wagons in duty stations I go to (the selection of a wagon usually is compared against the purchase of a Prado) That is the the thing...I would not mind either...all three have gone through the same routes under the same conditions. When one could not make it..the others could not as well...albeit some usually make it further than the others (rather strategically there are locals with tractors and large trucks siting there to pull you out for 10$ per vehicle).

Since it is a long trek...I would get the 200 with the much more comfortable ride. Having said that...70s are usually deployed in extreme areas due to its simplicity, cheaper to rig out and they are easier to drive as they are narrower and has much better visibility all around.

Yes...the LC200s are 4.5L Twin Turbo diesel V8s. The 120s and 150s are mostly the 3Ltr 1KD. It is not until recently that the 1GD started coming in to the fleet (sadly I have not had one in any of the places I work in). As for the 70 series...again...most used to be 1HD engines when I had to ride in them, mainly for simplicity. Some what abysmal but liveable. The 2.8L 1VD started coming in about 4 years ago....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iRage said:

Since it is a long trek...I would get the 200 with the much more comfortable ride. Having said that...70s are usually deployed in extreme areas due to its simplicity, cheaper to rig out and they are easier to drive as they are narrower and has much better visibility all around.

Wow! you lead an interesting life! (A bit like an episode of top gear huh>? All they way down to the enterprising locals sitting with their tractors ready to make a quick $10 ?! )

But I guess there we have it, I couldn't imagine a more real world test and in this senario: The LC200 has it!  For a casual user (running their truck in a more tame setting- I guess its even more definative that the LC200 makes a lot of sense...

@kmeeg This is bad news for you though buddy as its clear the LC200 will out perfom the LC70 onroad and based on the above it'll be close off-road as well. So to definately leave those pesky LC200 IFS buggers in the dust: I guess you've got to bring out the heavy artillary and go G-Wagon. (As I guess the only solid axle SUV that will out perform a LC200 definitely on the road and off-road will be the G-Wagon.)

So...really no choice now buddy: Forget the 401K its G-wagon all the way! ?

Edited by Kavvz

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

@kmeeg This is bad news for you though buddy as its clear the LC200 will out perfom the LC70 onroad and based on the above it'll be close off-road as well. So to definately leave those pesky LC200 IFS buggers in the dust:

?

Ha ha.. Sure LC200 is best on road. I can only go up to a LC200 and G-wagon is out of my income level. No way unless I sell my house and decide to live in the G-wagon.?? Talking about living in a vehicle my wife wants Mercedece Roadtrek CS Adventurous 4x4 RV for our trips and I'm completely against that idea.

As for IFS, I still stand IFS fail off-road. LC200 with no lockers will contribute to that even more. I think I've already told you last time when we chat I'm thinking to get HD axles to help a little bit but still I'll be careful with IFS. That's why I was thinking to trade and buy a Wrangler. As for what we have here in US if I buy a dedicated off-roader that would definitely be a solid axle front and rear.

Here's a good example from 4WD action / 4WD 24x7 how weak IFS would be. Wheel articulation also a down side of IFS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmeeg said:

Talking about living in a vehicle my wife wants Mercedece Roadtrek CS Adventurous 4x4 RV for our trips and I'm completely against that idea.

Wow. Fancy stuff! 

As for IFS, I still stand IFS fail off-road. LC200 with no lockers will contribute to that even more. I think I've already told you last time when we chat I'm thinking to get HD axles to help a little bit but still I'll be careful with IFS. That's why I was thinking to trade and buy a Wrangler. As for what we have here in US if I buy a dedicated off-roader that would definitely be a solid axle front and rear.

Here's a good example from 4WD action / 4WD 24x7 how weak IFS would be. Wheel articulation also a down side of IFS.

Ah! Cool: That's one of the off-roading Aussie channels you reccomended I presume? Nice! Looks really good and wow: Those buggers swapped out the CV joint pretty quick didn't they? I guess they get lots of practice living that 4x4 IFS life!!  :D  

Edited by Kavvz

7 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Wow. Fancy stuff!

I think that is on the cheaper side of RVs (with basic 4wd).

This talk came up since we are not comfortable booking hotels now due to Covid-19.  We are soo Sri Lankan, after our forest trips we stay in a hotel where we can use good washrooms with water. Just wiping is not our style. We like to use water and keep things clean..?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

I think that is on the cheaper side of RVs (with basic 4wd).

Whaa? Oh boy! 

3 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

This talk came up since we are not comfortable booking hotels now due to Covid-19.  We are soo Sri Lankan, after our forest trips we stay in a hotel where we can use good washrooms with water. Just wiping is not our style. We like to use water and keep things clean..?

lol!! Yeah I remember there was a funny meme with a picture of a bunch of dudes at Keells stocking up on RICE and a picture of a supermarket overseas where a whole bunch of Caucasians were fighting over bog-roll!  Honestly! Just-use-water and if you are going to fight over something fight over rice like us Sri Lankans! :D 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kavvz said:

But I guess there we have it, I couldn't imagine a more real world test and in this senario: The LC200 has it!  For a casual user (running their truck in a more tame setting- I guess its even more definative that the LC200 makes a lot of sense...

@kmeeg

Well...nothing can be definitive...if it was then there would be a off-roader that never gets stuck (that is not a tank); and we all know that is not the case. 

As for @kmeeg's comment about the solid axle out performing the IFS...not really...it depends on the vehicle and the eventual setup as well and the application. For example, in rock climbing, a solid axle would be more durable and rigid (cast iron housing, etc...which can be a positive or negative) but then one can also argue that and IFS setup would have better wheel flex rather than be limited to the axle's move-ability (which can be a positive or a negative). We use the vehicles in sand, river and mud and solid vs. ifs has not made any difference. In fact in some case the front solid axle did make the vehicle stuck as it went and dug itself in the mud even before the rear entered the bog and then the thing just kept of getting dug deeper in as the vehicle was pulled out. 

As for front lockers...yes..that is a sad situation...the software does do a pretty good job in mimic things..although it does not have the secure feeling of actually feeling the clogs locking up and pulling you through. Sadly...actual front (and rear) lockers are fast becoming a thing of the past...just like grunty old diesel engines :( ..but then again..there are plenty of after market options for the LC200 in terms of front lockers.

5 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Ah! Cool: That's one of the off-roading Aussie channels you reccomended I presume? Nice! Looks really good and wow: Those buggers swapped out the CV joint pretty quick didn't they? I guess they get lots of practice living that 4x4 IFS life!!  :D  

But do remember that most of this for "show" and this is all in the "extreme" end of things. It`s all good fun, but you could get tired of jumping through deep ruts and denting/bending/breaking things (both man and machine) real quick. Unless you are one of these guys who`d live and breathe extreme 4WDwing of course :D 

One could do "most" off-road tracks and explore and get to places in a Prado with a decent lift and good tires. :) And some basic recovery gear.. And the know-how to drive properly and use the said gear.. :D 

Edited by MrCat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrCat said:

But do remember that most of this for "show" and this is all in the "extreme" end of things. It`s all good fun, but you could get tired of jumping through deep ruts and denting/bending/breaking things (both man and machine) real quick. Unless you are one of these guys who`d live and breathe extreme 4WDwing of course :D 

One could do "most" off-road tracks and explore and get to places in a Prado with a decent lift and good tires. :) And some basic recovery gear.. And the know-how to drive properly and use the said gear.. :D 

Prado is a very good setup imo. That 2.8 turbo diesel with a 180L fuel tank. I heard the 2021 Hilux has the 2.8 with a retuned motor producing more hp  compared to the previous 2.8 turbo diesel right out the door. You can also get an optional rear locker right? Also KDSS. Really really nice setup.

This beauty belongs to my buddy. 2018 with newer 2.8 turbodiesel:

Update- Just wanted to tell the reason I'm talking about fuel tank capacity is the fuel range. I have some what range anxiety and prefer vehicles with good range. There are many times I have refuel from the nearest gas station before entering to a trail. 

received_10156086372463245.jpeg

Edited by kmeeg

1 hour ago, kmeeg said:

This beauty belongs to my buddy. 2018 with newer 2.8 turbo diesel

Actually this is not that new..it is the first gen 1GD-FTV. It first came in the Prado and then rolled on to the Hilux. It was a decent engine...but did have a sense of low on power.

The engine was updated a few weeks ago (close to a month). Now the 2.8L engine has 200hp (ish ?) which is about 25hp more than before; and about 500Nm of torque where the previous one had 425 or 440 or something ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iRage said:

Actually this is not that new..it is the first gen 1GD-FTV. It first came in the Prado and then rolled on to the Hilux. It was a decent engine...but did have a sense of low on power.

The engine was updated a few weeks ago (close to a month). Now the 2.8L engine has 200hp (ish ?) which is about 25hp more than before; and about 500Nm of torque where the previous one had 425 or 440 or something ?

Yes yes, I meant to say 2.8 TD been newer engine after the 3L ones.

Didn't check the specs on the new tune on those but I heard the new 2.8TD on Hilux got more power than the 4.5 single turbo on the LC70. Not sure, just heard.

10 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Yes yes, I meant to say 2.8 TD been newer engine after the 3L ones.

Didn't check the specs on the new tune on those but I heard the new 2.8TD on Hilux got more power than the 4.5 single turbo on the LC70. Not sure, just heard.

Uhh...not exactly....the new updated 1GD-FTV has 200hp and 500Nm of torque. The single turbo 1VD-FTV has about 202hp (okay not much difference); but is a lot lower on torque (400 something...402 or 405...). So yes...the new 1GD in the Hilux/Fortuner/Prado feels a lot more get up and go-ish than the single turbo in the LC70. Which is also why I am not too hung up about the V8 diesels dissapearing from the large Land Cruiser...yes..it is a V6..yes it is only a 3.3L twin turbo...but that does not mean it is going to be slow or sluggish. In fact compared to the Patrols of the last decade and a few years...the Land Cruiser 200 was slow. 

23 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Yeah...sadly it has come to that....nothing confirmed or official yet..but there have been rumors about other wheel manufacturers wanting to buy off portions/patents/designs/etc...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Magnum said:

30,005,000 yen - $393k AUD / $286k USD / 221k GBP / 243k Euro.

Image may contain: text that says 'Date Schedule Bid No. Site Target Model Year@ Grade Sep 7.20 [End] T/M CC Icon Odo Inspection 25933 Tokyo 1289th 2002 Color SKYLINE CP 4WD GT-RM-SPECNU Type Aircon Equipment Import F6 2600 C-PAS Result 23 Dec.21 Others Final Price Start Price Scores BNR34 AAC Leather PS PW Sold 30,005 14,900 4.5 25933 45月ラ人 Lane プライムコーナー GE-BNR34 么ই Prime- ime Large Icon List View Fb にアジイに シリアル 40336 台内寸的 FOZM さ4600'

There's one for sale in Australia right now for 600K AUD with just 13,000km on the ODO. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-nissan-skyline-gt-r-m-spec-nur-bnr34-manual-4wd/SSE-AD-6793939

Saw the ad a couple of days ago and cried myself to sleep.

600K AUD = 80,000,000 LKR

5 hours ago, Davy said:

There's one for sale in Australia right now for 600K AUD with just 13,000km on the ODO. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-nissan-skyline-gt-r-m-spec-nur-bnr34-manual-4wd/SSE-AD-6793939

Saw the ad a couple of days ago and cried myself to sleep.

Holy Smokes!! I am sure that I will not be able to sleep today after seeing this. I mean look at that pristine condition.