• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

## Post Whoring - Part 3 ##

MADZ

2 hours ago, Magnum said:

Wouldn't that increase tyre wear? If i'm not wrong I think you take your SUVs off road, going for a lower ply tyre would increase the chances of a puncture

Gosh tell me about it, I have had so many punctures. I never thought of it relating to the ply.

More than 4 times this year. Mostly front wheels

The other day I had to change a tyre in the asiri hospital car park, the bloody wheels are so heavy and a pain to Jack it up as well in formal clothing! Luckily I don't have to lift it like in the monty as it tucks in under, I even went to the extent of checking whether they had expired, Wear is not that significant, but the comfort part is there. 

I was going to go for a maxxis set but since my uncle is a dealer I got a decent offer.

1 hour ago, tiv said:

Gosh tell me about it, I have had so many punctures. I never thought of it relating to the ply.

More than 4 times this year. Mostly front wheels

The other day I had to change a tyre in the asiri hospital car park, the bloody wheels are so heavy and a pain to Jack it up as well in formal clothing! Luckily I don't have to lift it like in the monty as it tucks in under, I even went to the extent of checking whether they had expired, Wear is not that significant, but the comfort part is there. 

I was going to go for a maxxis set but since my uncle is a dealer I got a decent offer.

I know few people using  6 ply tyres on Hiace, they get punctures and on top of that the tyres wear out pretty fast

16 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

Taken from Extreme 4x4 - ISUZU 4x4 club of Sri Lanka FB page..

1C98033D-9AFA-43D8-9FE1-902D90CE0046.jpeg

You should see them hilarious posts on the wagon R and Hustler fb groups!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, kmeeg said:

I love this video on 1990 LS400 better :)

I watched this video as well and I regularly watch videos from Doug but I just couldn't bear the ridiculous comparison of this with the latest LS. 

Of course the new LS would have more features but the LS400 had plenty of features to offer back in it's time.

Also, the styling, I think it was the trend back then, personally I like this design over the new one. I'm not a big fan of all those lines and curves on new cars.

This was the first and only model from Lexus in US, yet it gave a massive challenge to the German rivals, that itself tells what an impact this car had back then 

28 minutes ago, Magnum said:

I watched this video as well and I regularly watch videos from Doug but I just couldn't bear the ridiculous comparison of this with the latest LS.  

I too liked Doug videos to get to know the vehicles we can’t afford until he pissed me off with the Toyota 4Runner video. Lot of wrong information in that video.

I also think he doesn’t have a good taste for the classics. Could have just talked about the old one only. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 9:01 AM, tiv said:

Dunlop Grandtrek 265/70 R17 ,

i think they are 6 Ply, my uncle owns a tyre shop, old school tyre dealer, he recommended these - showed a marked improvement in comparison to the Bridgestone tyres it came with

It would be unwise to compare comfort just because the anterior part of the chassis of the above vehicles are shared, the L200 and Hilux both are leaf sprung whereas the Fortuner and Montero Sport are both coil sprung, they are shorter in length and the placement of shock absorbers are different, the final drive, diff ratios, gear ratios are different which also makes minor improvements. The body in turn is just a tub in the pickups which are directly bolted to the chassis, whereas the suv have different mounts. As far as I know the difference between a coil spring and a leaf spring is not "minor"

Would it not be wise to consider what the chap who actually owns the vehicle says rather than just jot down what you "think" is "comfy" or not "comfy"?

Lastly it would be hilarious to argue on which SUV is "?comfy" when all these are off road vehicles, work horses more oriented towards the farmhouse rather than the city, whereas due to the peer pressured prestige factor and high values they run in this country we end up with threads like this!

The Prado / Montero in whatever generation cannot be considered comfortable, but they do however manage fairly well as SUVs, given that they carry 4wd gear, underbody guards, high tension coil springs and gas shock absorbers and a lot of weight. 

Come on discussions like these should be more at home with vehicles like a C Class merc or 5 series 7 series BMWs not these. sigh

Yeah, I have to agree with you since you own both these models ( Montero and Montero Sport) and had plenty of experience driving them.