• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

## Post Whoring - Part 3 ##

MADZ

3 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Very smart of that dude to make it all work: I'd love to look it over!

( But I wonder how he ended up getting it registered?  :D )

There really are some ingenious mechanics in SL. There are a few Priusies that run on Corolla running gear.

• Like 1

This is actually better than selling the car for like 1.5m. 

I wonder how legal this is because initially when the car came into the country it would be have been given a tax break as an electric car.

6 hours ago, Magnum said:

This is actually better than selling the car for like 1.5m. 

Absolutely! It seems like a very practical approach.

It might have been simpler to just source some non-OEM batteries from the secondary market that seems to have popped up around the electrification of classic cars (VW's, LR Defenders and 911's are being electrified very effectively now, dead cool. I'll post a link afterwards...) but this is great too and is possibly more practical for everyday use.

Plus sticking in a large bike engine or something like that, might make for a lightweight, high-revving, second car. Would be quite cool to have one I think ( as long as it can all work, and safety isn't compromised). And at the prices Leaf's are going for now, it might end up being quite cost effective...

Edited by Kavvz

There are a lot of companies doing coversions these days but these are some of the better ones: And the last one actually sells kits for self-installation- Petty cool stuff...

Electric 911:

Electric defender:

and my favorite (this guy actually sells battery packs and kits etc as well)

Edited by Kavvz

4 hours ago, Kavvz said:

There are a lot of companies doing coversions these days but these are some of the better ones: And the last one actually sells kits for self-installation- Petty cool stuff...

Electric 911:

Electric defender:

and my favorite (this guy actually sells battery packs and kits etc as well)

These petrol powered classics which might be appreciating in value, will end up obsolete in another 5 or 6 decades. Not sure if that will mean a decrease in value, maybe they will still be worth as million dollar museum show pieces. 

Whats the main difference between a 250k dollars auction grade E30 M3 and a few thousand bucks worth 325i? Its the heart that powers it. The welds, springs, discs, rims, braces are all tiny things relative to the engine. Yes there is a difference in the driving experience regardless of the engine but its the engine and heritage that has priced it so high.

Not every classic appreciates because of the engine only, but the ones fetching crazy prices usually do either for rarity/heritage, or for the powerplant  even if the chassis is almost the same (Twin Turbo Supra > NA Supra/AE86 > AE85/MG-A TwinCam > MG-A 1500/ Boss 429 > Boss 302)

So I wonder how the market will react to the later model classics, the ones that would have just started to appreciate by then (think cars from 2000 - 2015). 

So in the meantime, these EV conversion kits would be a great way to keep the classics we love, on the road! 

I know a few people who are reluctant to sell their family Morrises and Wolseleys as their grandparents were the 1st owner. Not all classics will end up appreciating to a worthy amount (eg:- Fuego, Allegro, A40, 304). So for such owners who love their car regardless of community perception, lack of appreciation, etc.. These kits would be a blessing. Not gonna lie, even I'd wanna get one a decade or so after I find a damn project car, which is proving impossible in this damn country, given the damn circumstances, damn it. 

Edited by AVANTE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AVANTE said:

These petrol powered classics which might be appreciating in value, will end up obsolete in another 5 or 6 decades. Not sure if that will mean a decrease in value, maybe they will still be worth as million dollar museum show pieces. 

Whats the main difference between a 250k dollars auction grade E30 M3 and a few thousand bucks worth 325i? Its the heart that powers it. The welds, springs, discs, rims, braces are all tiny things relative to the engine. Yes there is a difference in the driving experience regardless of the engine but its the engine and heritage that has priced it so high.

Not every classic appreciates because of the engine only, but the ones fetching crazy prices usually do either for rarity/heritage, or for the powerplant  even if the chassis is almost the same (Twin Turbo Supra > NA Supra/AE86 > AE85/MG-A TwinCam > MG-A 1500/ Boss 429 > Boss 302)

So I wonder how the market will react to the later model classics, the ones that would have just started to appreciate by then (think cars from 2000 - 2015). 

So in the meantime, these EV conversion kits would be a great way to keep the classics we love, on the road! 

I know a few people who are reluctant to sell their family Morrises and Wolseleys as their grandparents were the 1st owner. Not all classics will end up appreciating to a worthy amount (eg:- Fuego, Allegro, A40, 304). So for such owners who love their car regardless of community perception, lack of appreciation, etc.. These kits would be a blessing. Not gonna lie, even I'd wanna get one a decade or so after I find a damn project car, which is proving impossible in this damn country, given the damn circumstances, damn it. 

Definitely is interesting to see what will happen to classics and what will be considered as classics from the current century. I am keeping my hopes up that in 50-60 years someone would actually come up with a way to make a gasoline equivalent in a lab that will help keep the few remaining classics running. I also believe that this is going to be a costly affair. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Definitely is interesting to see what will happen to classics and what will be considered as classics from the current century. I am keeping my hopes up that in 50-60 years someone would actually come up with a way to make a gasoline equivalent in a lab that will help keep the few remaining classics running. I also believe that this is going to be a costly affair. 

Yes, we do live at an interesting time: There is a method of extracting / refining synthetic gasoline from pine resin that was initially developed in a Scandinavian country (Norway I believe) and was tested / verified by multiple sources but the drawback is that its not as cost effective as gasoline from conventional methods...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

:appl:

FB_IMG_1596966413818.jpg

I was surprised that is it our Thero who taught my friend how to pop the hood (or bonnet) on his brand new BMW X5. He didn't know that you have to pull the latch twice to pop the hood. He is probably the only Thero I know who knows alot about cars.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:23 AM, Kavvz said:

Yes, we do live at an interesting time: There is a method of extracting / refining synthetic gasoline from pine resin that was initially developed in a Scandinavian country (Norway I believe) and was tested / verified by multiple sources but the drawback is that its not as cost effective as gasoline from conventional methods...

For now....when refining fossil fuels reduces its cost will go up and the whole pine resin fuel development might actually be cheaper or the only viable method. In the 90s when corn based diesel was catching on there was a bit of a food security scare. Farmers in south america preffered to sell their crops to fuel manufacturers as they paid more...and then others wanted to cash in and changed various other types of crops to crops that can be sold for fuel. This reduced the paying price for bio diesel raw material. However, it pushed up prices in certain foods. So Food Security people start shivering in their pants when they hear plant based fuels. But seriously...if someone commercializes a method to turn feces in to fuel....we will be set for eternity 

• Like 2

The TV host continued: “A man leapt from his 10-year-old Toyota to do some remonstrating.“‘Do you not need a mask because you're on television?’ he bellowed. And he hadn't finished. “In fact his lecture, padded out with much profanity, was so lengthy that I never got the chance to interrupt and point out that he wasn't wearing a mask either. We see this sort of thing all the time.”

Don't know what's funnier; Clarkson getting yelled at for not wearing a mask by some random Joe, or Clarkson managing to work in a dig at Toyota owners even when talking about being admonished for not wearing a mask! I guess JC would have been more tolerant of the incident if the guy jumped out of an Alfa or something! ?

Edited by Kavvz

1 hour ago, kmeeg said:

Meanwhile in the USA..

(Yes, may not be relevant to us in SL. But sharing to anyone who likes regardless the location)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/17/ram-1500-trx-fiat-chrysler-unveils-702-horsepower-hellcat-pickup.html

Screenshot_20200817-224134_Chrome.jpg

It looks better in the flesh, than the previous concept pictures...and a 700hp V8? Wow! And at that price its almost a bargain, didn't the hellcat, which didn't even have all the fancy off-road bits, start at over $110k or something?

(I wonder how they get all that power down when it's in 2H though? It must hop around like mad !!)

As for being in competition with the Raptor, I think this is going to outsell it. Did you see that interior? Waaay better than the Ford's!

But why they don't brand it T-Rex  instead of TRX? It seems too close to the TRD branding that way I feel...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Kavvz said:

It looks better in the flesh, than the previous concept pictures...and a 700hp V8? Wow! And at that price its almost a bargain, didn't the hellcat, which didn't even have all the fancy off-road bits, start at over $110k or something?

(I wonder how they get all that power down when it's in 2H though? It must hop around like mad !!)

As for being in competition with the Raptor, I think this is going to outsell it. Did you see that interior? Waaay better than the Ford's!

But why they don't brand it T-Rex  instead of TRX? It seems too close to the TRD branding that way I feel...

Hellcat is actually not over 100k and is similarly priced (still doesn't go offroad though ?).

I love how these guys just put the Hellcat Motor in almost everything! Jeep Cherokee? Yes. Durango? Yes. Chargers/Challengers? Yes. Rams? Yes.

While this may be the miles ahead of the Raptor in many departments the Americans have massive brand loyalty when it comes to pickups and the Raptor might've had a dose of that since it is after all a souped up F150

Capture.PNG