• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

## Post Whoring - Part 3 ##

MADZ

14 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

@kmeeg are those BFG KO2's on the right?

This Devinda_Z chap knows tire patterns off the top of his head...impressive business, that...Unless of course you already have the same tires on a LR or something: Then its just showing off!! -I kid..I kid! :D 

Anyways, I was inspired by this bit of mutual tire appreciation between @Devinda_Z and @kmeegto go google BFG KO2's to see what the fuss was about: And here's a clip that sums up some of the basic info I found, (Oh and for the rest of the clueless peeps out there, like me, who have no idea, but can't be bothered to watch: BFG K02 are apparently pretty good all-around tires and pretty much set the bar for the A/T category.)

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

@Kavvz looks like someone managed  to log back in to their old account??

Hard to miss that tread pattern. Iconic like the old Goodyear Eagle F1's V pattern.

BFG KO2's really defined that class of tire - legendary and still held in very high esteem (not showing off because they weren't available here at the time  with D*MO so couldn't get them - rather pricey as well but hey you get what you pay for!)

That said most of the most recent tire tests have claimed that the KO2's despite still being one of the best is a little long in the tooth as far as design and R&D is concerned.

The reviews from various corners of reviewers in the US & UK concede that a redesign is overdue. The new Cooper Discoverer AT3's & Yokohama Geolandar G015's get a lot of good press as tires which offer a better proposition as AT tires go being more civilised on road without having the age old compromises of high noise, questionable wet weather braking, lack of steering feel and (rubber) hardening issues traditional large block AT tires are notorious for.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kavvz said:

This Devinda_Z chap knows tire patterns off the top of his head...impressive business, that...Unless of course you already have the same tires on a LR or something: Then its just showing off!! -I kid..I kid! :D 

Anyways, I was inspired by this bit of mutual tire appreciation between @Devinda_Z and @kmeegto go google BFG KO2's to see what the fuss was about: And here's a clip that sums up some of the basic info I found, (Oh and for the rest of the clueless peeps out there, like me, who have no idea, but can't be bothered to watch: BFG K02 are apparently pretty good all-around tires and pretty much set the bar for the A/T category.)

@kmeeg how do the AT's stack up against the HT's you swapped out, especially on road/around town?

26 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

@kmeeg how do the AT's stack up against the HT's you swapped out, especially on road/around town?

BFG KO2

I've been using BFG KO2 Load C And Load E on 2 4runners. And we take the 4runner on right for the road trips as well as its more equipped for that.

Comfort -

With Load E I can definitely feel every bump on highway. Load C is a nice balance between stock HTs (Dunlop Grandtrek AT20) and Load Es.

MPG -

Initially the tire shop put 40psi on the tires when installed and it was too bumpy to my taste and the MPG was exactly the same as stock HT tires. Then I drop it to 32PSI as the door jamb sticker suggested, but man my MPG dropped like crazy. No kidding. Now running about 35 PSI and the MPG is alright.

Road noise -

I have very little experience with HT tires as I sold them and got KO@s right away. I have absolutely no complaints on road noise and I only hear wind noise and not tire noise since my car interior is not that sound isolated as a luxury German.

Wet / Snow performance -

Between KO2 Load C and Load E both perform well on wet conditions but I don't know the limits as I drive little slower on wet roads.

In snow I feel Load E slips more than the Load C on tarmac. I guess much softer rubber on Load C grips snow well. But in off-road deep snow at around 15psi both are mountain goats and never got me stuck.  The deep isolated tread blocks clean them self really well.

Falken Wildpeak AT3W

For my wife's car I got Falken Wildpeak at3w XL Load  from the stock Yokohama Geolandar g96 HTs. Since her car is 100% on-road I did not go for a LT rated tire.

I'm very impressed as the ride is exactly same as stock. Since its only 1 day experience I cannot comment about the MPG yet. Yesterday I drove in wet / light snow condition and it was very solid in traction.

If you think of doing like weekend off-pavement drive I would take on gravel roads with out any hesitation. But I would be concerned on forest roads with sharp sticks or sharp rock chips.

35 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

With new shoes..?

KM1_4970-3.jpg

11 hours ago, kmeeg said:

BFG KO2

I've been using BFG KO2 Load C And Load E on 2 4runners. And we take the 4runner on right for the road trips as well as its more equipped for that.

Comfort -

With Load E I can definitely feel every bump on highway. Load C is a nice balance between stock HTs (Dunlop Grandtrek AT20) and Load Es.

MPG -

Initially the tire shop put 40psi on the tires when installed and it was too bumpy to my taste and the MPG was exactly the same as stock HT tires. Then I drop it to 32PSI as the door jamb sticker suggested, but man my MPG dropped like crazy. No kidding. Now running about 35 PSI and the MPG is alright.

Road noise -

I have very little experience with HT tires as I sold them and got KO@s right away. I have absolutely no complaints on road noise and I only hear wind noise and not tire noise since my car interior is not that sound isolated as a luxury German.

Wet / Snow performance -

Between KO2 Load C and Load E both perform well on wet conditions but I don't know the limits as I drive little slower on wet roads.

In snow I feel Load E slips more than the Load C on tarmac. I guess much softer rubber on Load C grips snow well. But in off-road deep snow at around 15psi both are mountain goats and never got me stuck.  The deep isolated tread blocks clean them self really well.

Falken Wildpeak AT3W

For my wife's car I got Falken Wildpeak at3w XL Load  from the stock Yokohama Geolandar g96 HTs. Since her car is 100% on-road I did not go for a LT rated tire.

I'm very impressed as the ride is exactly same as stock. Since its only 1 day experience I cannot comment about the MPG yet. Yesterday I drove in wet / light snow condition and it was very solid in traction.

If you think of doing like weekend off-pavement drive I would take on gravel roads with out any hesitation. But I would be concerned on forest roads with sharp sticks or sharp rock chips.

Good review @kmeeg

Looks like i'll need to keep an eye on the tire pressure myself as I switched to LT's on mine

13 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

@kmeeg Nice review. May be this needs to be posted on the dedicated thread for tires.

Machan, Not sure if others like it there as this is more specific to off-road type tires. I only shared that experience because Devinda specifically ask for the AT tires vs HT tires. People might get angry and say that its useless info for 99% the people read that tread. Didn't expect to see this tire thing going this far. :) 

53 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

Machan, Not sure if others like it there as this is more specific to off-road type tires. I only shared that experience because Devinda specifically ask for the AT tires vs HT tires. People might get angry and say that its useless info for 99% the people read that tread. Didn't expect to see this tire thing going this far. :)

I see what you mean. Yeah let’s keep it this way then.

11 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

@K.o.N.o.S I think we are sorely missing a good local tire test - expensive exercise if done properly but would be interesting to see how things fare under our conditions

Absolutely. I believe these tests are yet to be implemented locally. And I do not see that’s happening for a foreseeable future

8 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Absolutely. I believe these tests are yet to be implemented locally. And I do not see that’s happening for a foreseeable future

The tests would be nice.....I thikn accessibility to the tires for actual comprehensive testing is what is preventing it. In countries with pretty decent, mature markets..official testers/journalists do get test sets for both track and long term testing. Since SL does not have any manufacturers' presence and considering the market type (where no matter what the test says 90% of consumers would go for the cheapest) I don't think any of the agents are willing to give test sets. So that just leaves consumers (or testers/journalists) to actually buy the tires themselves which ca get rather expensive. Sure the automotive magazines could try it..but owuld they actually recover the cost ?

1 hour ago, iRage said:

The tests would be nice.....I thikn accessibility to the tires for actual comprehensive testing is what is preventing it. In countries with pretty decent, mature markets..official testers/journalists do get test sets for both track and long term testing. Since SL does not have any manufacturers' presence and considering the market type (where no matter what the test says 90% of consumers would go for the cheapest) I don't think any of the agents are willing to give test sets. So that just leaves consumers (or testers/journalists) to actually buy the tires themselves which ca get rather expensive. Sure the automotive magazines could try it..but owuld they actually recover the cost ?

@iRage the cost is definitely an issue

Don't forget CE#T and DSI - both make locally right? 

13 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

@iRage the cost is definitely an issue

Don't forget CE#T and DSI - both make locally right? 

Good point...do people buy them ? Apart from busses and trucks and such ? Them sponsoring the test would actually be good publicity for them (and R&D)

8 minutes ago, iRage said:

Good point...do people buy them ? Apart from busses and trucks and such ? Them sponsoring the test would actually be good publicity for them (and R&D)

They advertised their "Milaze" line up of passenger (car) tires extensively on the radio some time back i recall. Wonder if it gained any traction?

I'm half curious to see how something like that would perform ?

12 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

They advertised their "Milaze" line up of passenger (car) tires extensively on the radio some time back i recall. Wonder if it gained any traction?

i see what you did there | see what you did there meme | Yoda ...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Are these the same tyres: Indian tyre test of CE-AT Milaze X3

Also interesting to note that its mentioned in the review that: "CE-AT recently sent over a set of these tyres". So its very likely they'd provide free samples for a test here as well if someone organizes it?

However, after reading the review and the claimed tyre life of 1,00,000km; I'm pretty skeptical on the claimed cornering and braking distance improvements! (Either the Indian reviewers are lying through their teeth or they must have had the WORST OEM tyres ever on that Hyundai of theirs...)

Edited by Kavvz

12 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Yo @fiat fan patta case bro. There's an SRT8 roaming the streets of mawanella? as an FCA Employee, you should have known this by now (chi ledgai) 

I just saw this in the Autolanka Funniest Moments thread. @fiat fan you are FCA Employee????? You got to be kidding me, I should have known before. I was looking as Rubicon 4door bro. I could have got some info from you and may be a good deal / discount. Damn it. I wasn't sure about the reliability despite a big fan of the capability. I test drove one with 8spd auto and had mopar lift and alpine audio. Though the ride was little different with the solid front axle and little less space in the back but it was ok.

4 hours ago, kmeeg said:

I just saw this in the Autolanka Funniest Moments thread. @fiat fan you are FCA Employee????? You got to be kidding me, I should have known before. I was looking as Rubicon 4door bro. I could have got some info from you and may be a good deal / discount. Damn it. I wasn't sure about the reliability despite a big fan of the capability. I test drove one with 8spd auto and had mopar lift and alpine audio. Though the ride was little different with the solid front axle and little less space in the back but it was ok.

Ayyo invain bro. I hooked a fully loaded wrangler Rubicon with everything under the sun and moon 20k off the MSRP during the presidents day sale.

If you already bought one. Enjoy it! If still in the market please buy the extended warranty. Its a very nice vehicle. But they still have the FCA treatment done to them. They aren't terrible,but issues do pop up randomly. Very very capable off road. But stuff like Alpine sounds and them is not really worth it. Buy a base Rubicon and go aftermarket. Saves a bunch and more tastefull!

They actually drive good. The 2.0 4 cyl is not really recommended, its lower on emissions. But not MPG. Also slight turbo lag!

The stick shift is fun,but the clutch is too light and feels like its come off. The throws are too long as well. Good for pottering about,but with the additional cost to buy the stick(how times change) its not worth it!