• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rexton 2017 or X-trai 2017

asier

Need advice from fellow Autolankans

lets say an office is going to rent brand new vehicle for  official use for a lead executive  (long term)..there are two options which are Rexton 2017 and X-trai 2017 2000cc petrol hybrid to choose between (mind i used 2017 as the registration year not the model year) so could you assist me with what to select..thanx in advance :) 

Edited by asier

Not sure if there is a straight forward answer to this.

First and foremost the Rexton is a class ahead of the X Trail which is a smaller car.

Second the XTrain in question is Japanese while the Rexton is probably Korean assembled in Sri Lanka

One is hybrid the other is Diesel

One will be brand new, the other one second hand

I think you will get the gist of where I'm going here. Most of the above will be personal preference. The Rexton and Kyron are used by a number of tour companies and the drivers tell me they do not do anything other than regular maintenance until the cars get to about 120K Kms and are then sold off. I'm sure the Xtrail will at least as reliable.

The is brand prestige but personally I'm not sure if driving a Ssang Yong makes you any more hip than driving a Nissan and vice versa.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. 

25 minutes ago, The Don said:

Not sure if there is a straight forward answer to this.

First and foremost the Rexton is a class ahead of the X Trail which is a smaller car.

Second the XTrain in question is Japanese while the Rexton is probably Korean assembled in Sri Lanka

One is hybrid the other is Diesel

One will be brand new, the other one second hand

I think you will get the gist of where I'm going here. Most of the above will be personal preference. The Rexton and Kyron are used by a number of tour companies and the drivers tell me they do not do anything other than regular maintenance until the cars get to about 120K Kms and are then sold off. I'm sure the Xtrail will at least as reliable.

The is brand prestige but personally I'm not sure if driving a Ssang Yong makes you any more hip than driving a Nissan and vice versa.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. 

thanx alot don i should have included few guidelines but thing is since its official and the company takes care of every thing its a bit of a decision to make...and rexton is brand new too if some one can distinguish between the performance of two vehicles itl be a great help ..old rexton was largely under powered and had tons of issues, problem after problem ,need to know is there any significant improvement with the new model..this may differ from person to person but what i feel is since rexton had some sort of presence in sri lanka it has that noble presence than the x-trail..in all other aspects x-trail tops..

Edited by asier

9 hours ago, asier said:

thanx alot don i should have included few guidelines but thing is since its official and the company takes care of every thing its a bit of a decision to make...and rexton is brand new too if some one can distinguish between the performance of two vehicles itl be a great help ..old rexton was largely under powered and had tons of issues, problem after problem ,need to know is there any significant improvement with the new model..this may differ from person to person but what i feel is since rexton had some sort of presence in sri lanka it has that noble presence than the x-trail..in all other aspects x-trail tops..

There are rumors that new x-trail hybrid has gearbox issues.

In your case maintenance, second hand value does not come in to play which is two main considerations when selecting a new vehicle.

I would suggest you rent one of each car may be for a weekend and see which one you like better and suites your requirement

2 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Just out of curiosity, are these the only two options you got? One is a car that screams out politician's henchaiya and the other looks like a toy car.

load of doctors used to own Rextons and not that much of a henchayya model like defenders :P . Xtrail looks like a normal car nothing special about it but technology wise it should be superior to the Rexton .KIA Sorento and a Toyota CH-R(Which is mor toy like and ugly) is also possible and all falls under same price category 70-80ish..any better brand new options rather than these four which cost the same?

Edited by asier

45 minutes ago, asier said:

load of doctors used to own Rextons and not that much of a henchayya model like defenders :P . Xtrail looks like a normal car nothing special about it but technology wise it should be superior to the Rexton .KIA Sorento and a Toyota CH-R(Which is mor toy like and ugly) is also possible and all falls under same price category 70-80ish..any better brand new options rather than these four which cost the same?

if I was that lead executive, I would opt for a sedan. Something like a Camry hybrid, Mazda 6, Lexus HS250, Peugeot 508, would actually make the person who steps out of it, look like a professional/executive.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

if I was that lead executive, I would opt for a sedan. Something like a Camry hybrid, Mazda 6, Lexus HS250, Peugeot 508, would actually make the person who steps out of it, look like a professional/executive.

Camry was feasible but clearance is a must...car wont be practical in out station trips. 

1 hour ago, Quiet said:

You cant buy a Xtrail, CHR or Sorento 2017 for 70-80ish and although i dont have the info im sure Rexton 2017 cost more than 8Mn

dont know the exact prices um not updated.but the monthly rental is almost  same for every vehicle..not buying its a rental.

4 hours ago, kush said:

There are rumors that new x-trail hybrid has gearbox issues.

In your case maintenance, second hand value does not come in to play which is two main considerations when selecting a new vehicle.

I would suggest you rent one of each car may be for a weekend and see which one you like better and suites your requirement

ya since this is a rental the selection is bit tricky..

The new Rexton is really good. My father has one. It's a diesel fully loaded model! 25k kms and still looks and feels new. Had zero issues upto now! The ride is comfy. Also handles well and that turbo is a joy! They have really upgraded from the previous Rexton! Fuel economy is around 10kmpl in heavy city traffic!

25 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

The new Rexton is really good. My father has one. It's a diesel fully loaded model! 25k kms and still looks and feels new. Had zero issues upto now! The ride is comfy. Also handles well and that turbo is a joy! They have really upgraded from the previous Rexton! Fuel economy is around 10kmpl in heavy city traffic!

Thanx alot was looking for a user experience we had a old one was giving all sort of crap and around 180k it gave up for good..it seems rexton has improved alot  but 2000cc seems under powered given the size of the vehicle

37 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

If it's a rental, why worry? If you don't like it, change it.

This is for a government office hope you understand the hassle :D..

2 minutes ago, asier said:

Thanx alot was looking for a user experience we had a old one was giving all sort of crap and around 180k it gave up for good..it seems rexton has improved alot  but 2000cc seems under powered given the size of the vehicle

we had the previous Rexton as well bro. Yes agreed it had a few niggles.But the new one is really up in its game. From the plastics to the Mechanicals, they are much better now! Actually the 2000cc engine feels faster than the older 2700cc engine(Bigger turbo I guess). We have gone to Yala in it and travelled all over the country and never had any issue yet! 

Service at micro is good if its a Ssangyong, if its a Geely ??. 

We have a Tivoli as well,which is also a good Crossover.

2 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

we had the previous Rexton as well bro. Yes agreed it had a few niggles.But the new one is really up in its game. From the plastics to the Mechanicals, they are much better now! Actually the 2000cc engine feels faster than the older 2700cc engine(Bigger turbo I guess). We have gone to Yala in it and travelled all over the country and never had any issue yet! 

Service at micro is good if its a Ssangyong, if its a Geely ??. 

We have a Tivoli as well,which is also a good Crossover.

thats really good news to hear and they are planning to unveil the new Rexton this year i guess..have they improved the suspension system? old one was very bumpy ?

5 hours ago, asier said:

thats really good news to hear and they are planning to unveil the new Rexton this year i guess..have they improved the suspension system? old one was very bumpy ?

Yes I saw some leaks on youtube! Yeah the rear is now comfortable, it doesn't bounce around on bad roads. Even the 3rd row is ok, but its made for kids. The two generations are world's apart!

Just to share my experiences with SSangyong Korando which shares a similar engine but less refined.

I bought korando AWD in 2012 and now used already 5 years. I am not a very heavy traveler thus it has clocked 60000 km already. Servicing was done timely. I've heard gearbox problem in DSI transmission box in  Korando, but I did not face that problem. I think Rextons,Tivoli, and new korando uses either MB or AISIN gear boxes.

For last 5 years I did not face any engine problems. Only issue came with door locks, all four door actuators failed and each cost Rs. 5000 to fix. It became a DIY job for me. Interior has not been deteriorated as some users of kyron/rexton reported. Now the airbag light is on an micro service guys in Kandy checked it free of charge and said it was due to loosening of driver side airbag cable. 

Though we have a Honda Fit hybrid, we never use it for long distance trips (family), as the korando is much comfortable, feel safe and great to drive.

Disclaimer : I do not have any affiliation with Micro Company 

Edited by vitz
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, vitz said:

Just to share my experiences with SSangyong Korando which shares a similar engine but less refined.

I bought korando AWD in 2012 and now used already 5 years. I am not a very heavy traveler thus it has clocked 60000 km already. Servicing was done timely. I've heard gearbox problem in DSI transmission box in  Korando, but I did not face that problem. I think Rextons,Tivoli, and new korando uses either MB or AISIN gear boxes.

For last 5 years I did not face any engine problems. Only issue came with door locks, all four door actuators failed and each cost Rs. 5000 to fix. It became a DIY job for me. Interior has not been deteriorated as some users of kyron/rexton reported. Now the airbag light is on an micro service guys in Kandy checked it free of charge and said it was due to loosening of driver side airbag cable. 

Though we have a Honda Fit hybrid, we never use it for long distance trips (family), as the korando is much comfortable, feel safe and great to drive.

Disclaimer : I do not have any affiliation with Micro Company 

Thank you for the input bro and everybody who spent a minute to help..decided to go for the Rexton tested the X-trail and was realy not upto the hype ,nothing major to choose over the Rexton