• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

ajm

what are the special privileges for Sri Lanka citizens that non-citizens in Sri Lanka do not get

A relative of mine has been living in an EU country for some time and is thinking of applying for citizenship /naturalization. Generally he will have to give up Sri Lankan citizenship,unless there is a special reason /privileges that will be lost in Sri Lanka. Possibilities:

1.not able to own land or pay 200% tax(was this changed recently?)

2.government health services will be not free?

3.government education not free ?(at least in Australia seems very expensive for non-citizens)

any other ?

(voting rights and such do not count since not mandatory for survival )

thanks in advance

1 hour ago, GayanR said:

Apply for dual citizenship.

problem is that dual citizenship not allowed as per the EU country law,you can have only one unless there is a special reason against losing citizenship of Sri Lanka(education,property inheritance and buying,health services...) . If you aplly for lankan citizenship later,the EU citizenship will be lost. Any law experts here?

10 hours ago, ajm said:

problem is that dual citizenship not allowed as per the EU country law,you can have only one unless there is a special reason against losing citizenship of Sri Lanka(education,property inheritance and buying,health services...) . If you aplly for lankan citizenship later,the EU citizenship will be lost. Any law experts here?

Excellent question for a car forum.  I think the main difference, you will find, is that non-Sri Lankans are not Sri Lankan, whereas Sri Lankans almost always are.

It is an important distinction for law experts, if I'm not mistaken it comprises the entirety of the third year LLB.

I am not a law experts. But here are my views of your concerns.

1. Not able to own land : If someone already own lands, the ownership may not cancel after getting another country citizenship. If so buy some lands and then apply for the citizenship. In wider view, new lands from SL may need for their next generation. Not for them. That is also depend on their kids future vision. If kids hardly need, they will pay said 200% tax easily & buy lands. Because SL will not develop/change for another 2-3 generations & foreign currency rate may not come down. :(. So as summery they don`t need to worry about this at the moment.
  2. Government health services will be not free : Though is it free in some points, how many of us going to O.P.D ? Mostly consult a doctor and getting treatments for minor cases & some people have ability to pay for special cases like surgeries too. If your relations return to SL in future, they will bring some considerable amount of money. So they can pay and get medicine from any private hospital without any issue. Isn't ?
  3. Government education not free : This is possible to apply for their kids. Send them to a private/international schools if they return to SL in the future.

20 hours ago, GayanR said:

Apply for dual citizenship.

Heard previous Govt press pause for this, any one aware about this? Still need to sorted for wife.

Let's not to worry about lands, how about vehicles if it's under your name and you loose the citizenship in SL?

regards

JC

Government health services are free even for non-citizens. This is something we can all be proud of.

• Like 2

looking to get citizenship in EU and concerned about obtaining free health and education in SL gosh.

21 minutes ago, Quiet said:

looking to get citizenship in EU and concerned about obtaining free health and education in SL gosh.

That's because of the typical Sri Lankan mentalityIMO! We do not know how to let things go when the time comes but choose to cling on to whatever unnecessary things for trivial reasons. In the end, we do not enjoy, nor are content with whatever we have now but instead keep on worrying about what we might lose in future.

5 hours ago, Quiet said:

well you missed the point.I didnt say he wants to have free govt health care,of course he will pay for his own and family health problems when/if time comes.But he has strong roots in SL,planning to settle in Sri lanka after getting the EU citizenship. The only reason to apply for EU citizenship is to have for his kids  access to higher education in future at EU-citizen fees. He is looking for some reasons(in fact,excuses) to convince the EU authorities why he must keep the Sri lankan citizenship,when applying for the EU citizenship.If its a valid,humane reason the authorities allow him to keep it or apply for dual citizenship in SL later.Otherwise he will lose the EU citizenship,when he applies to reinstate the Sri Lankan citizenship again.

Edited by ajm

18 minutes ago, ajm said:

well you missed the point.I didnt say he wants to have free govt health care,of course he will pay for his own and family health problems when/if time comes.But he has strong roots in SL,planning to settle in Sri lanka after getting the EU citizenship. The only reason to apply for EU citizenship is to have for his kids  access to higher education in future at EU-citizen fees. He is looking for some reasons(in fact,excuses) to convince the EU authorities why he must keep the Sri lankan citizenship,when applying for the EU citizenship.If its a valid,humane reason the authorities allow him to keep it or apply for dual citizenship in SL later.Otherwise he will lose the EU citizenship,when he applies to reinstate the Sri Lankan citizenship again.

Can a person settle in Sri Lanka after obtaining EU citizen ship. In that case he/she will lose SL citizenship. I do not know what the VISA rules will be after that.

• Like 1

Sri Lankan law dictates that one will lose their Sri Lankan Citizenship while applying for the Citizenship of another country unless you apply for retention beforehand, in which case you will obtain dual nationality.

But this is not possible if the country you are applying for nationality does not recognise dual nationality and demands you show allegiance to that country alone. Germany is the EU country that comes to mind with this regards, though it does recognise Dual Nationality as long as the other nationality is of a EU nation.

The only option in this respect is for that person to gain Nationality of the first EU country first, then move to another EU country which recognises Dual Nationality and then gain Nationality of that country after the qualifying period and then apply for Dual Nationality in Sri Lanka.

If you need to retain Sri Lankan nationality you will have to maintain your permanent residence status and not apply for Nationality of that particular country. 

It is possible for you to gain a residence via to live in Sri Lanka as an Ex Sri Lankan even if you lose Sri Lankan nationality but this residence visa does not entitle you to work in Sri Lanka as far as I know. It also forbids your ownership of certain types of property etc, but I am no expert. 

3 hours ago, The Don said:

but this residence visa does not entitle you to work in Sri Lanka as far as I know

Are you sure about this,non-citizen residents are also not allowed to work even in private sector(also no EPF,ETF contributions possible.)? 

are their some fees involved to give -up SL citizenship (like 2000$ for US)

keeping Permanent residence is not an option,because he has to stay a majority of days every year in the EU until he has completed 18years stay or something.

Anyway Thanks a lot for your great input.

8 hours ago, ajm said:

Are you sure about this,non-citizen residents are also not allowed to work even in private sector(also no EPF,ETF contributions possible.)? 

are their some fees involved to give -up SL citizenship (like 2000$ for US)

keeping Permanent residence is not an option,because he has to stay a majority of days every year in the EU until he has completed 18years stay or something.

Anyway Thanks a lot for your great input.

An expat (including an ex-Sri Lankan) needs to apply for a work permit to work in Sri Lanka. If you are a foreigner married to a Sri Lankan or a ex-Sri Lankan citizen, its usually easy to obtain that work permit. In fact, its pretty easy for an expat to obtain a work permit for Sri Lanka, as long as a reputable organization employs them. 

An expat employee will have to contribute to EPF, ETF and income tax similar to a Sri Lankan employee. In addition, as I recall there's additional tax of around 10% on the income of an expat (I am not sure if its still in effect).