• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

ajm

what are the special privileges for Sri Lanka citizens that non-citizens in Sri Lanka do not get

27 minutes ago, ajm said:

usually kids have to decide between 18~22 if a dual-citizenship is not allowed in the "other" country.

What is the legal age in SL for acquiring property under own name,18 or is it higher?

So in theory,if the SL parent faces no untimely death, his or her property could be transferred to the child after turning 18 ,before the child renounces SL citizenship?

Citizenship selection depends on the other country as well. In SL it used to be 20 (which I had to do as I was born abroad). Not sure if its changed now. Either way if the other country is lower then it will be that. 

Yes. That is a way. But once the kid renounced citizenship, the property is now owned by a foreigner :)

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:57 PM, iRage said:

But once the kid renounced citizenship, the property is now owned by a foreigner :)

theoretically similar situation as a Sri Lankan while owning property renounced his SL citizenship.

BTW anyone heard of property transfer issues the other way(ex-Sri Lankans' property transfer to a SL- citizen descendant)?

7 hours ago, ajm said:

theoretically similar situation as a Sri Lankan while owning property renounced his SL citizenship.

BTW anyone heard of property transfer issues the other way(ex-Sri Lankans' property transfer to a SL- citizen descendant)?

Interesting....by descent or not once a citizen of Sri Lanka, he/she is a citizen of Sri Lanka right ?

4 hours ago, iRage said:

by descent or not once a citizen of Sri Lanka, he/she is a citizen of Sri Lanka right ?

don't know, is there some legal background?

Until recently the SL citizenship was lost when acquiring another,now retention is possible (if the other country allows)

I am in similar Situation. I obtained the Citizenship in a EU Country. Now i have to show the Immigration authorities in this Country, a renounciation certificate issued by the Immigration Department in Sri Lanka. I submitted all the necessary documents for the procedure through the SL mission here. Do you have any idea how long it may take to get that renounciation  certificate from Sri Lanka? 

Will i get my invalid-punched Sri Lankan passport back? Do you have any experience with this?

By the way anyone has experience about getting an employment visa for a non/ex-sri lankan with Sri Lankan spouse?

1.at non-BOI companies (more difficult?)

2.at BOI companies (easier?)

@iRage

Wife's friends had tried and based on their experience we never bothered. It really does not make a difference if the person is a spouse or not...they treat it as any other foreign employment and the organization has to go through the usual process of providing justification for the foreign hire. 

No idea about BoI vs. BoI though.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ajm said:

did they try after coming to Sri lanka or before arrival?

after.....the process used to be that you had to first come in on a 3 month tourist visa...then apply for the spouse visa after a 6 month wait or something. Basically it does not matter if you are in the country.

On the other side..the law state that spouse visa holders can engage in informal employment. As a result quite a few of them started home based businesses ranging from business consultancy to translation to F&B services.

• Like 1

Just now, ajm said:

But for the employment visa, were they allowed to apply after arrival?

I believe so..not entirely sure since we never went through it, but I think only after the visa is an actual spouse visa that has completed the probation period. 

The thing is for the work permit, being a spouse on a spouse visa (going through pretty much 6 months of pre-approval probation for spouse visa and then a few months of additional probation post issuance) and being in the country does not give you an advantage of any kind. So they very well could ask you to go and apply outside of the country. 

• Like 1