• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

what are the special privileges for Sri Lanka citizens that non-citizens in Sri Lanka do not get

ajm

27 minutes ago, ajm said:

usually kids have to decide between 18~22 if a dual-citizenship is not allowed in the "other" country.

What is the legal age in SL for acquiring property under own name,18 or is it higher?

So in theory,if the SL parent faces no untimely death, his or her property could be transferred to the child after turning 18 ,before the child renounces SL citizenship?

Citizenship selection depends on the other country as well. In SL it used to be 20 (which I had to do as I was born abroad). Not sure if its changed now. Either way if the other country is lower then it will be that. 

Yes. That is a way. But once the kid renounced citizenship, the property is now owned by a foreigner :)

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:57 PM, iRage said:

But once the kid renounced citizenship, the property is now owned by a foreigner :)

theoretically similar situation as a Sri Lankan while owning property renounced his SL citizenship.

BTW anyone heard of property transfer issues the other way(ex-Sri Lankans' property transfer to a SL- citizen descendant)?

7 hours ago, ajm said:

theoretically similar situation as a Sri Lankan while owning property renounced his SL citizenship.

BTW anyone heard of property transfer issues the other way(ex-Sri Lankans' property transfer to a SL- citizen descendant)?

Interesting....by descent or not once a citizen of Sri Lanka, he/she is a citizen of Sri Lanka right ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iRage said:

by descent or not once a citizen of Sri Lanka, he/she is a citizen of Sri Lanka right ?

don't know, is there some legal background?

Until recently the SL citizenship was lost when acquiring another,now retention is possible (if the other country allows)

• 7 months later...

I am in similar Situation. I obtained the Citizenship in a EU Country. Now i have to show the Immigration authorities in this Country, a renounciation certificate issued by the Immigration Department in Sri Lanka. I submitted all the necessary documents for the procedure through the SL mission here. Do you have any idea how long it may take to get that renounciation  certificate from Sri Lanka? 

Will i get my invalid-punched Sri Lankan passport back? Do you have any experience with this?

• 7 months later...

Wife's friends had tried and based on their experience we never bothered. It really does not make a difference if the person is a spouse or not...they treat it as any other foreign employment and the organization has to go through the usual process of providing justification for the foreign hire. 

No idea about BoI vs. BoI though.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ajm said:

did they try after coming to Sri lanka or before arrival?

after.....the process used to be that you had to first come in on a 3 month tourist visa...then apply for the spouse visa after a 6 month wait or something. Basically it does not matter if you are in the country.

On the other side..the law state that spouse visa holders can engage in informal employment. As a result quite a few of them started home based businesses ranging from business consultancy to translation to F&B services.

• Like 1

Just now, ajm said:

But for the employment visa, were they allowed to apply after arrival?

I believe so..not entirely sure since we never went through it, but I think only after the visa is an actual spouse visa that has completed the probation period. 

The thing is for the work permit, being a spouse on a spouse visa (going through pretty much 6 months of pre-approval probation for spouse visa and then a few months of additional probation post issuance) and being in the country does not give you an advantage of any kind. So they very well could ask you to go and apply outside of the country. 

• Like 1

If a student enrolled in a government school has to give up his Sri Lanka citizenship if acquiring a foreign citizenship, what will happen to the student status?

Are non-Sri Lanka citizens allowed to visit government schools, sports and events, and take government exams etc?

2 hours ago, ajm said:

If a student enrolled in a government school has to give up his Sri Lanka citizenship if acquiring a foreign citizenship, what will happen to the student status?

Are non-Sri Lanka citizens allowed to visit government schools, sports and events, and take government exams etc?

No idea....however I am quite certain that International Schools were not allowed to compete in sporting events for national schools.

Since the "free education" component is for Sri Lankan citizens who are tax payers; I would reckon once the kid renounces his/her Sri Lankan citizenship the child will not be eligible for free education and will have to pay full tuition fees. I am not sure if National schools in Sri Lanka actually have a fees table. 

For kids who are of mixed Nationality...the "Sri Lankan" part of the two nationalities still gives the kid the privilege of free education....thus, can attend national schools. I don't think this helps your situation though because your scenario might be a case of both parents renouncing Sri Lankan citizenship ? Why did I bring it up ? Well....kids of dual Nationality marriages are allowed to retain citizenship of both nations until they become an adult (if as adults the nations do not allow dual citizenship then they have to give one of it up). Even if the parents get divorced, the kids by descent retains the right to both citizenship until adulthood (unless one of the parents denounce the kid). So...since the child you are referring to is a Sri Lankan by birth right I am wondering if there is a mechanism for the kid to keep his/her Sri Lankan citizenship (as his/her birth right) whilst also holding the new citizenship of the country the kid's parents have chosen for him/her.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, iRage said:

I don't think this helps your situation though because your scenario might be a case of both parents renouncing Sri Lankan citizenship ?

one parent still will keep Sri Lanka citizenship, the kid has to give up only the SL passport with the other parent (SL Birth certificate etc still available). 

Question is if the kid can go through the government school/exams (NIC?) system in Sri Lanka while staying there with the Sri Lankan parent.

Edited by ajm

2 minutes ago, ajm said:

one parent still will keep Sri Lanka citizenship, the kid has to give up only the SL passport with the other parent (Birth certificate etc still available). 

Question is if the kid can go through the government school/exams system in Sri Lanka.

Well...then in that case he should be still able to retain his Sri Lankan citizenship (plus take on the other citizenship of his/her other parent) and it should be a case similar to a kid with parents of two different Nationalities. In which case...yes...mixed nationality kids are allowed in to govt. schools and exams and sporting events. Know a Sri Lankan-Japanese family..both kids go to Royal...one is in the school swim team (or at least was). Sorry ..no idea if the kids sat for the scholarship exam or not...as for A and O levels..well if the kids are at Royal..I don't think they will wait all this time to tell the kids that they cannot sit for these exams :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iRage said:

.I don't think they will wait all this time to tell the kids that they cannot sit for these exams :)

Any idea how they prove the identity at exams, With foreign passport or NIC( if possible to apply)?

Just now, ajm said:

Any idea how they prove the identity at exams, With foreign passport or NIC( if possible to apply)?

No idea....back in our days we used a postal ID right ? Isn't the same still there ?

As for the foreign passport...my kids have foreign passports...on it there is a stamp that says they are Sri Lankan citizens and are exempt from visa. Had to go to the immigration office and get it stamped. Since my kids did not have a Sri Lankan birth certificate...had to go get that done first..then apply for citizenship and then get it stamped. Probably should talk to immigration department and see what needs to be done.

• 3 weeks later...

This is feedback from a reputed Colombo  law firm

It is mandatory to have a Sri Lankan birth certificate and subsequently obtain an NIC to sit for the local Ordinary Level and Advanced Level examinations in Sri Lanka. However if a child who possess a Sri Lankan birth certificate but has obtained citizenship of another country wishes to enroll themselves in a Sri Lankan school, such child must obtain a Citizenship Certificate from the Department of Immigration to be eligible to register themselves in a Sri Lankan school and to sit for local Ordinary Level and Advanced Level examinations.

Further, with regard to your query on property, property can be gifted by a parent to a child regardless of the status of the citizenship. Gifting of property to heirs and property received through succession is exempted from the provisions of the Land Alienation Act.

3 hours ago, ajm said:

This is feedback from a reputed Colombo  law firm

Yeah...my kids have the Citizenship certificate....I did not know that a kid already a citizen needed one because he/she would already be a citizen...but I suppose it makes sense as the new citizenship means the old one is void.

Yes...asset transfer to kids is not an issue the issue and grey area is for the foreign spouse :( Quite a few foreigners in SL who has had their spouses pass away and are in a state of limbo with property assets as well as visa (because for spouse visa the spouse needs to endorse it and well..dead people cannot endorse anything....the spouses get special stay pass for limited time slots under special circumstances..but nothing permanent) .At least this was the case 5 years ago....people were lobbying to change it which the government was not helpful about (albeit the immigration people were).

• Like 1