• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Looking to buy first car under 3.1M

Danje

Question

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first car, my budget is limited to 3.1 million, would like to buy something made after 2010 or so.

I was wondering should I go for a new non Japanese car such as Kia Picanto, Perodua Axia or should I look for used car like Mazda demio. And I might be able to purchase a Toyota Vitz 2008 with 60,000Km odometer for around 2.75M from a close relative.

Planning to use this for traveling to work within colombo (40km daily) and traveling long distance (300KM round trip) once a month.

All your expert advice is appreciated.

• Like 1

21 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Crosswind said:

If you are servicing the car with that authorized service station of Kia (Au*o M*raj), be very very careful. Those monkeys once poured CVT oil to my Cerato's normal auto gearbox. I didn't know this until the damage was done. Just double check every little thing they do. 

@Crosswind True! Customer service is very poor and they don't have good technicians.

I recently bought a Kia Picanto 2016 for my wife. Before purchasing, I compared this with Perodua Axia 2016. The build quality and the interior quality is of the Picanto is much better than the Axia. Same has 998 CC, 3 cylinder engine. The leg space in the back is not sufficient for an adult passenger in Kia Picanto if you moved the driving seat to the back most position like me and I felt leg space is in Perodua Axia is better than Picanto. Also Picanto does not have reverse sensors but Axia has.

Wife loved the Picanto than Axia and she said the Axia is more like an Alto.

The Picanto has a good pickup (better than March k11 as I felt) though it has a 3 cylinder engine. The car is still under 1000 km in ODO. I checked the fuel consumption using full tank to full tank method. In the moderate traffic (in Kandy), it gives 11 to 11.5 km/l,  In long distance (only one round trip Kandy-Colombo-Kandy) it scored 14.5 km/l.

So it is too early to check fuel economy yet but I think it will work 10 to 10.5 km/l in heavy traffic conditions in Colombo and 14 to 16 km/l in long distance depending on your driving style.

I think Perodua Axia also gives similar fuel figures since you cannot do much in these traffic conditions in Colombo and Kandy (worse than Colombo)

There is another option Hyundai Garand i10, which is bit expensive than Picanto but made in India. Hyundai i10 and Picanto have the same engine and gear box

• Like 2

Hi tbird!

Thanks for the "hands-on" review.

As per my knowledge,

1. Picanto 2017 Facelift has more back leg room and the body is little bit lengthy.

2. Ex variant has the reverse sensors.

2017 Facelift has been introduced last month in Geneva motor show. Is it really worth to wait till they introduce that in SL? The price also may go up.

Cheers!

6 hours ago, tbird said:

I recently bought a Kia Picanto 2016 for my wife. Before purchasing, I compared this with Perodua Axia 2016. The build quality and the interior quality is of the Picanto is much better than the Axia. Same has 998 CC, 3 cylinder engine. The leg space in the back is not sufficient for an adult passenger in Kia Picanto if you moved the driving seat to the back most position like me and I felt leg space is in Perodua Axia is better than Picanto. Also Picanto does not have reverse sensors but Axia has.

Wife loved the Picanto than Axia and she said the Axia is more like an Alto.

The Picanto has a good pickup (better than March k11 as I felt) though it has a 3 cylinder engine. The car is still under 1000 km in ODO. I checked the fuel consumption using full tank to full tank method. In the moderate traffic (in Kandy), it gives 11 to 11.5 km/l,  In long distance (only one round trip Kandy-Colombo-Kandy) it scored 14.5 km/l.

So it is too early to check fuel economy yet but I think it will work 10 to 10.5 km/l in heavy traffic conditions in Colombo and 14 to 16 km/l in long distance depending on your driving style.

I think Perodua Axia also gives similar fuel figures since you cannot do much in these traffic conditions in Colombo and Kandy (worse than Colombo)

There is another option Hyundai Garand i10, which is bit expensive than Picanto but made in India. Hyundai i10 and Picanto have the same engine and gear box

Thanks you @tbird, that was a great review.

How is the driving experience when driving in Kandy road, does it struggle when overtaking in hilly roads?

6 hours ago, Danje said:

Thanks you @tbird, that was a great review.

How is the driving experience when driving in Kandy road, does it struggle when overtaking in hilly roads?

No, it has a good pickup, you can overtake in hill roads without a problem even 3 passengers in the Car, There is an RPM gauge and it is useful when overtaking hilly roads.

However if you used to drive a car with higher engine capacity, you will  feel this is as a slow car.

Edited by tbird
  • Like 1

On 18/06/2017 at 9:51 PM, MrAeonM said:

These are the prices for 2017 

Seems ABS is not included in the package 2, instead it has some fancy items like reverse camera, touch display. Seems Sri Lankan are more in to fancy stuff than the safety, in 2016 version ABS included in the package 2

17 hours ago, tbird said:

You have to go for the highest grade available if you want ABS. Additionally you will get 15 inch alloys, split folding rear seat, steering audio controls, rear speakers and tweeters.

Our regulators should be blamed for absence of ABS, they should have made this mandatory with air bags.

Just got delivery of one will update with first impressions soon

The highest option sports version(GT model) is not what they bring here, though its pictures used in marketing. They said it wil cost around 4.5m and cant market at that price range as a small city car. Additional features in GT sports model compared to highest end model(AT @34,90) in SL are:

15 inch alloys

1.2 / 1.0 turbo engines

Leather seats

Sun roof

Push button start/stop

Exterior 2tone sporty look

Still all models in SL get 8-inch display system, which should be the main attraction compared to 2016 model, and 5 year warranty (2016 had 3). Since same engine is given 7 year warranty in other countries says about its quality.

Wht i got was AT one priced at 34,90 and having driven just around 200km its way more smooth and really feel the quality differences compred to Maruti Suzukis or Axia. Interior is of much better grade, engine noise is very less or noticeable and smooth. Pickup is even better than a 1300 Panda cross. 

Ill update fuel consumption infor once i have reached 1000km, at the moment the meter shows like 11.5km/l in city traffic with AC most if d time. 

IMO, spending 2-3 lakhs more is worth the upgrade considering the low quality of Axia or Cellario.

15 hours ago, janz said:

The highest option sports version(GT model) is not what they bring here, though its pictures used in marketing. They said it wil cost around 4.5m and cant market at that price range as a small city car. Additional features in GT sports model compared to highest end model(AT @34,90) in SL are:

15 inch alloys

1.2 / 1.0 turbo engines

Leather seats

Sun roof

Push button start/stop

Exterior 2tone sporty look

Still all models in SL get 8-inch display system, which should be the main attraction compared to 2016 model, and 5 year warranty (2016 had 3). Since same engine is given 7 year warranty in other countries says about its quality.

Wht i got was AT one priced at 34,90 and having driven just around 200km its way more smooth and really feel the quality differences compred to Maruti Suzukis or Axia. Interior is of much better grade, engine noise is very less or noticeable and smooth. Pickup is even better than a 1300 Panda cross. 

Ill update fuel consumption infor once i have reached 1000km, at the moment the meter shows like 11.5km/l in city traffic with AC most if d time. 

IMO, spending 2-3 lakhs more is worth the upgrade considering the low quality of Axia or Cellario.

Can you tell me more about the warranty conditions.  Is it compulsory for your car to be serviced at their own service station or can you service your car via another kia authorized service station? What about the cost of service comparing to another service station, are they kind of ripping of customers? What about the suspension? Kia Picanto really looks good and also has a larger boot space and rear leg room comparing to 2016.

15 minutes ago, waka said:

Can you tell me more about the warranty conditions.  Is it compulsory for your car to be serviced at their own service station or can you service your car via another kia authorized service station? What about the cost of service comparing to another service station, are they kind of ripping of customers? What about the suspension? Kia Picanto really looks good and also has a larger boot space and rear leg room comparing to 2016.

Yes you have to maintain the car with the authorized service station. No idea about the charges was told it is average.

It is a city car you get enough room in front, rears are better suited to children. boot sufficient for couple of cabin bags.

Ride is comfortable for a small vehicle, absorbs road unevenness without much issues. Suspension noise minimal no bumps and thuds or thrown around when you go over rail crossings / sleeping policemen. Actually it feels much bigger car.

Engine feels under powered in inclines, delays in shifting down makes things worse, at least the engine is eager. Did not want to rev hard as engine is not fully run in. High powered version would be more fun.

Economy - initial 500 km. around 10.4 kmpl at a average speed of 20 kmph. trip computer was approximately 15% off.(it was indicating 8.4 L/100km which is 11.9 kmpl)

5 hours ago, kush said:

Yes you have to maintain the car with the authorized service station. No idea about the charges was told it is average.

It is a city car you get enough room in front, rears are better suited to children. boot sufficient for couple of cabin bags.

Ride is comfortable for a small vehicle, absorbs road unevenness without much issues. Suspension noise minimal no bumps and thuds or thrown around when you go over rail crossings / sleeping policemen. Actually it feels much bigger car.

Engine feels under powered in inclines, delays in shifting down makes things worse, at least the engine is eager. Did not want to rev hard as engine is not fully run in. High powered version would be more fun.

Economy - initial 500 km. around 10.4 kmpl at a average speed of 20 kmph. trip computer was approximately 15% off.(it was indicating 8.4 L/100km which is 11.9 kmpl)

If you are servicing the car with that authorized service station of Kia (Au*o M*raj), be very very careful. Those monkeys once poured CVT oil to my Cerato's normal auto gearbox. I didn't know this until the damage was done. Just double check every little thing they do. 

7 hours ago, waka said:

I did the 1000 km service at KiA, Kurunegala Service station for Picanto 2016 model which also has 5 years warranty. The cost as follows

Total 6138/- without labor since we have 3 services without labor charge, actually they have included labor charge to bill and reduced it saying complementary from KIA, the labor charges is 3200/-

Engine Oil: 3599/- (Valvoline 10W-30)- they used barrel oil not the can.
Oil filter: 1118/-
Rest 1411 for other bunch of items like kerosene,shampoo etc.

after the 3 labor free services, total will be around 9500/-

I have 2016 version with ABS think 2016 and 2017 model shares the same engine and my wife drive it most of the time, the average fuel economy she get is around 11.3 km/l (full tank method) in school time in Kandy best is 12.5 and worst is 9.3. We use app to track the cost for the car and usually fill the tank full when it comes to half tank level.

We took it to highway and handling is good at 100 km\h. When coming to Kandy we two friends came with us and the pick up is also good in Kadugannawa even with 4 adults in the car, the people in the back seat, yeah they had to apply Siddalepa on knees, neck and the back after the ride :)  and they swore never sit on back seat of a Picanto again.

The front seats are really comfortable and its fun to drive comparing to Alto K10, Nissan March K11 etc.

Edited by tbird
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tbird said:

I did the 1000 km service at KiA, Kurunegala Service station for Picanto 2016 model which also has 5 years warranty. The cost as follows

Total 6138/- without labor since we have 3 services without labor charge, actually they have included labor charge to bill and reduced it saying complementary from KIA, the labor charges is 3200/-

Engine Oil: 3599/- (Valvoline 10W-30)- they used barrel oil not the can.
Oil filter: 1118/-
Rest 1411 for other bunch of items like kerosene,shampoo etc.

Hang on... what did they use Kerosene for?

Kerosene should not be brought anywhere near a modern car.

12 hours ago, Crosswind said:

I have bad experiences with these people, intend to service at the agent currently at Orugodawatte. New facility at Malabe will be open soon.

OP here.
I did my first 1000Km service from Orugodawatha Kia service center about month and half back for 2016 model and it only cost me Rs5,270.

Thanks for sharing your info. It's very thoughtful of you. Now that you've used the car for almost an year, do you recommend it?
Thanks

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk