• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

SHIFTING FROM HONDA TO BMW

Susantha 025

Question

Gentlemen,

First, I am new to this forum. I was searching for BMWs and found this forum and interested on your conversations.

I am a Honda enthusiast and sold my Honda Civic ES 8 (YOM 2002) few months back. I wanted to buy a Honda Civic FD 1, couldn’t find a better one.

Anyway I wanted to own a BMW, but the gossips and advices put me aside.  Basically, maintenance cost.

Hope you can help me with followings.

I don’t drive daily with my profession and only 3,4 days per month in Colombo and long trip maybe once in 2 to 3 months.

Driving basically with my family – Wife and two small kids

I can afford maximum of 6 millions only.

1.      What are the recommended BMW variants I should look in local market, YOM and mileage? (I prefer only sedan type)

2.      What are the engine types to choose and avoid?

3.      What are the pros and cons of Diesel vs Petrol? Which type do you recommend?

4.      What are the demanding colours? (Like, I was searching only White, Black and Wine Red in FD1s)

5.      Average fuel consumption of the recommended model and average maintenance cost per month/quarter/year?

6.      I heard to avoid European domestic models and go for tropical climate export versions. How do I differentiate those two?

7.      Other than online and newspaper advertisements  do you recommend anyone who offer some good used BMWs. (E.g. Milroy)

8.      Which engine capacity and model is more reliable and economical?

Dear friends, Hope you can help with my little knowledge. I can google for more details with your highlighted areas. Please suggest me the best model considering all factors with my budget.

Thank you very much. Cheers !!!!!!!

Edited by Susantha 025

Welcome!

You're better off driving a Toyota . At this stage your still thinking like an accountant.get a rav4.

Cheers!

TT.

P,s i'm sure some will wake up to a fit reading this.

Edited by Twin Turbo

First of all....if fuel economy is of utmost importance...then perhaps you should look at some other cost effective options. But I understand that it has some practical significance; so...

a. it is not to say that BMWs are not fuel efficient, depends on what you end up buying.

b. looking at how much you would be using your car (which is not very much) do you really need to over concern your self about fuel economy ?

Secondly, the whole Euro cars are more expensive to maintain than Japanese cars is a myth. If you PROPERLY maintain a Japanese car with decent parts and proper mechanics its going ot cost you a lot. Just because there are no cheap Chinese crap for parts and your average maka baas has no idea how to fix it does not make European cars more expensive to maintain.

Thirdly, the whole "tropical climatization" topic seems to always spark heated debates in most of the SL (and other tropical climate) car forums. don't forget even Sri Lankans' much loved Toyotas had problems with dash boards melting and cracking and stuff and no one got their panties tied up like they do with Euro cars.

If you are on FB, get on the BMW groups. Most of the decent and desired BMWs change hands without even getting advertised, and in these groups you might e able to get some pointers frfom people like VVT(i), OctaneHead and Supra_Natural. 

• Like 1

it seems some models have timing chain tensioner noise,which leads to failure. A colleague with a E90 had to change 3times every 30000km,fortunately covered by warranty . There was also an issue about scroll tubo failures in early 2000 cars. So check for abnormal noise and unusual timing change replacement history,then you will be good.

Edited by ajm

If you are properly maintaining a Honda, I guess it would still cost you as much as maintaining a Euro.

By proper maintenance I mean using genuine spare parts, using Honda approved lubricants and doing the service at regular intervals in a not so shabby service station.

As far as I know (from experience with VW and Audi) Diesel Euro cars have better fuel consumption figures than comparable Japanese ones. At the same time better performance too partly due to common rail technology.

Cars with Common rail engines are supposed to be driven at high speed frequently in order to avoid carbon build up. Highway driving is ideal for this. They should not idle at home for long. That is the main cause of engine problems.

So unless you use it as a daily ride and at the same make it a point to drive it at high speed, it would be asking for trouble.

just my two cents.

Edited by Sri-Lak

21 minutes ago, Sri-Lak said:

As far as I know (from experience with VW and Audi) Diesel Euro cars have better fuel consumption figures than comparable Japanese ones. At the same time better performance too partly due to common rail technology.

Cars with Common rail engines are supposed to be driven at high speed frequently in order to avoid carbon build up. Highway driving is ideal for this. They should not idle at home for long. That is the main cause of engine problems.

So unless you use it as a daily ride and at the same make it a point to drive it at high speed, it would be asking for trouble.

just my two cents.

Yes. Diesel euros are very good on fuel and power! The new common rails are not too noisy and they fly when you step on it. Same on our Tivoli Diesel. Even though it only has a 1.6 turbo engine that puts out 115 horses, its really fast when throttled! 20k so far in 1.5 years and still strong! 

Dear friend iRage, Thanks for your advice. I am not worrying about fuel consumption as i don't drive frequently. Only concern is to select the correct model with my budget (6Millions) and knowing the important details before moving to new type. Where i can get these details. I will check with FB also. If possible please share my post with known BMW fans/owners. Thanks again

Dear ramishkad,

You are correct, i did all servicing at Staffords and some spares from TEC motors. Basically i want to figure out which model is suite for my budget and some more details about BMW, which i am very poor.

Like for me from Honda one of the best models is FD1. But about BMW............ i am blank.

Gentlemen, more specifically guide me to choose one of the best BMW model with my budget (6 Million is max)

Other details i asked previously is to setup my mind and to google for detail.

Please share my posts with BMW lovers and owners. Or how do i clarify my basic requirements.

I told you i am new to this forum and don't know how to tagged the correct members.

Thanks for your help.

if you really need a bmw you can find a decent e90 for around five mill i guess..you have to drive a bmw frequently otherwise itl give you trouble one after the other, mileage doesn't really matters when it comes to bmw's.Go for a petrol ,less troublesome but diesels are the bit fun and fuel efficient.Mil**y is old news there are lot of startups and other mechanics who do a good enough job for a decent price.

Edited by asier

On 14/04/2017 at 5:18 PM, ramishkad said:

If you are properly maintaining a Honda, I guess it would still cost you as much as maintaining a Euro.

By proper maintenance I mean using genuine spare parts, using Honda approved lubricants and doing the service at regular intervals in a not so shabby service station.

Routine service at the Honda agents with oil, filter cost around Rs. 10-12K max would be Rs. 17-20K which i think is very reasonable compared to a Euro at the agent. However service frequency will be high compared to a Euro (5000km vs 8-10K)

I would honestly suggest that you continue to search for a good FD1 and buy that, or even the model after that. Will give you trouble free motoring.

If you want something larger and more comfortable, you should easily find a 2009/2010 Accord within your budget.

I know several people with BMWs which are more than 3 years old, and most of them have started falling apart. As technologically advanced they may be, the Germans still havent perfected the art of tropicalising their cars. My aunts 320D is nothing but trouble, even the doors dont shut properly as the upholstery has swollen up. They tried to sell it but could not find a buyer. Most Euro cars which came after the 80s have not aged that well in Lanka (ex- 1990s Mercs, peugeots, even some BMWs), and it would be a difficult sell after heavy depreciation.

Best to stick to a reputed Jap brand such as Honda or Toyota with a proper agent service facility and genuine parts for years of trouble free motoring

Edited by rukmaldk

15 hours ago, rukmaldk said:

I know several people with BMWs which are more than 3 years old, and most of them have started falling apart. As technologically advanced they may be, the Germans still havent perfected the art of tropicalising their cars. My aunts 320D is nothing but trouble, even the doors dont shut properly as the upholstery has swollen up. They tried to sell it but could not find a buyer. Most Euro cars which came after the 80s have not aged that well in Lanka (ex- 1990s Mercs, peugeots, even some BMWs), and it would be a difficult sell after heavy depreciation.

Best to stick to a reputed Jap brand such as Honda or Toyota with a proper agent service facility and genuine parts for years of trouble free motoring

WTF No! 

Maybe your aunts car is a lemon. BMWs are good cars. But you have to treat them well. You cant ride her like megan fox and treat her like kusume akka! 

I had both Honda and BMW.  They both were good cars,but both needed good maintaining. Also Stafford is not cheap,not at all!

8 hours ago, fiat fan said:

WTF No! 

Maybe your aunts car is a lemon. BMWs are good cars. But you have to treat them well. You cant ride her like megan fox and treat her like kusume akka! 

I had both Honda and BMW.  They both were good cars,but both needed good maintaining. Also Stafford is not cheap,not at all!

Between Honda and Toyota agents my personal experience is Honda charges are reasonable for servicing. No idea about repair cost though.

56 minutes ago, kush said:

Between Honda and Toyota agents my personal experience is Honda charges are reasonable for servicing. No idea about repair cost though.

Yep Honda agents are cheaper than Toyota.  It costs about 40k for an Aqua to be serviced while my ex FD1 was charged only about 15k!

Same for Accident repairs! A guy I know was qouted 65k for a side mirror and 350k for the Bumper which was filled with chrome and leds.

38 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

Yep Honda agents are cheaper than Toyota.  It costs about 40k for an Aqua to be serviced while my ex FD1 was charged only about 15k!

Same for Accident repairs! A guy I know was qouted 65k for a side mirror and 350k for the Bumper which was filled with chrome and leds.

What!!! 40K for a routine lubrication service. this can't be accurate. 

3 hours ago, peugeot407 said:

What!!! 40K for a routine lubrication service. this can't be accurate. 

WHAT ??? The RAV4 gets serviced there and the bill comes only to about 14,000 something...took the Mark X there as soon as I bought it and that service cost also around the same....only time the RAV4 service bill was higher was when the CVT, transfer case and rear diff oils were changed..

How on earth did you end up with 40K for a regular service ?