• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

8 hours ago, tiv said:

Put it up on a hoist and drive

That may not necessarily work. Depending on the type of AWD/4WD system and how and what type of diffs are placed; the wheels may not necessarily turn when you try to "drive" it on the hoist. For example if the front (non-primary-drive-wheels) has an open diff and the rear (primary-drive-wheels) a (mechanical) LSD (as in most of Toyota's RWD 4WD applications in commercial vehicles) the front wheels will not "run" unless either one of the wheels have some sort of traction on it (so yes....even though you have 4wd/AWD you still might get stuck in mud/snow/sand with only the primary drive wheels working and digging itself in)

EDIT: You will have better luck hoisting it in Neutral and spinning the wheels with your hand and see what happens

Edited by iRage

11 hours ago, Rishi said:

recently i bought CR51 how can I check it's 4wd system, need to test it's 4 wd system,there is no dashboard indicator

Well...from the 40/50 series onwards it came with a full-time 4wd system (I am referring to full time 4WD as a system that splits power permanently in a certain ratio) but then it was during a time where Toyota made things hazy by playing with real-time AWD systems and sticking them as FT 4WD systems....so I have no idea what your's has. Either way it will not have an indicator that comes on when all four wheels are getting powered. However, there would (might?) be a light that comes on when the system stops working or has some issue like the front diff over heating. This light may come on when you are starting up the car and the system is getting initialized.

Like tiv said...o to a gravel/dirt road preferably with a slight incline and gun it. You might feel a slight jerk as the non drive wheels get power and kick in...or get someone to watch the wheels (but then someone who doesn't know what they are looking for will not know it). The thing is with these systems is that you will not know it coming on and going off most of the time.

I had one for over 12 years back in the day, have tried the hoist method and it works.

Neutral and spinning the wheels on a hoist also works but only if u spin a rear wheel, a front wheel will just spin freely but if u rotate a rear wheel the front will also turn.

There are 2 variants, If you have an automatic transmission, it mostly goes 2wd and engages automatically almost every time you put your foot down etc, but if you have a manual transmission its Full Time 4wd.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2017 at 8:39 PM, iRage said:

Well...from the 40/50 series onwards it came with a full-time 4wd system (I am referring to full time 4WD as a system that splits power permanently in a certain ratio) but then it was during a time where Toyota made things hazy by playing with real-time AWD systems and sticking them as FT 4WD systems....so I have no idea what your's has. Either way it will not have an indicator that comes on when all four wheels are getting powered. However, there would (might?) be a light that comes on when the system stops working or has some issue like the front diff over heating. This light may come on when you are starting up the car and the system is getting initialized.

Like tiv said...o to a gravel/dirt road preferably with a slight incline and gun it. You might feel a slight jerk as the non drive wheels get power and kick in...or get someone to watch the wheels (but then someone who doesn't know what they are looking for will not know it). The thing is with these systems is that you will not know it coming on and going off most of the time.

my one is 1997 CR51,manual transmission,it doesn't have dashboard light when initializing,is there fuse in relay box to switch off it

On 5/31/2017 at 0:53 AM, Rishi said:

my one is 1997 CR51,manual transmission,it doesn't have dashboard light when initializing,is there fuse in relay box to switch off it

No idea....I haven't had a 4WD TownAce/LiteAce. Depending on the type of system Toyota had it may or may not have fuses (as it doesn't need it) or an indicator light for that matter.

14 hours ago, iRage said:

No idea....I haven't had a 4WD TownAce/LiteAce. Depending on the type of system Toyota had it may or may not have fuses (as it doesn't need it) or an indicator light for that matter.

I attached the relay box, my one is CR51 liteace, please kindly consider and let me know about the system

IMG_20170528_162658.jpg

Are u trying to turn off 4wd For better fuel economy? 

As far as I know it's not a possible thing electrically 

You might as well then remove the 4wd front prop shaft and blank it off with plates to prevent oil spilling out.

U can proceed to taking out the front 4wd diff and the cv joints as well if so. 

But the bottom line is why go to ruin a perfect driver aid when you could have bought a 2wd one? Oh then again 4wd vans come cheap don't they. 

I had one a long time ago and my verdict is this. The 4wd system is very decent and very grippy and the added clearance helps. Entire suspension is much more rugged and guarded for a subtle off-road run.

On a bumpy or bad road you can draw rings around vezels but the overall fuel economy is kinda less , if it's a 2c  it is horrendously slow and the front CVS need replacement every 20000-30000 odd km and the auto gearbox model tends to need a gearbox every 100000 odd km. 

The above are based on my personal experience btw. I used the vehicle for about 200000 km with original spec then upgraded all to 3c-te manual 4wd. Was 325000km when I sold it. 

My opinion don't go to mess with the 4wd system. Full time 4wd or Awd in these vehicles are not the same as running on 4H all the time on your Hilux or L200

They are designed for grip and economy to an extent. 

Cheers 

Edited by tiv

On 6/3/2017 at 11:13 AM, Rishi said:

I attached the relay box, my one is CR51 liteace, please kindly consider and let me know about the system

There isn't a specifically marked fuse there...but since this is a mainly mechanical system it wouldn't need a fuse. Like I said before...this was a grey time period for Toyota AWD systems and dependingon the exact system that the car has it may not have any indicator lights (for example my JDM 1st Gen A/T RAV4 didn't have a AWD light in the cluster but the M/T variants had a light to indicate the center diff lock on and off. So.. perhaps the TownAce/LiteAce had the mechanical system still ? I think Tiv's reply suggests it did have a mechanical system.

@tiv....based on some messages he sent I believe he just wants to make sure the system works and is wandering if there is an indicator lamp for the AWD system that comes on when there is an error or lights up when you first turn on the car and goes off.

19 hours ago, tiv said:

Are u trying to turn off 4wd For better fuel economy?