• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Services should be Provided by Fuel Stations

gayanath

I have observed that majority of Fuel stations in Colombo (not only Colombo but other areas as well) are not providing some essential services like “Air” for tires. Even though the facility has already setup in every fuel station, most of them are under maintenance or not working. 

1. Are they legally bound to provide free air service?  (or at-least for a fee)

2. If so, where to obtain those regulations? (I have searched but still couldn't find) 

15 hours ago, gayanath said:

I have observed that majority of Fuel stations in Colombo (not only Colombo but other areas as well) are not providing some essential services like “Air” for tires. Even though the facility has already setup in every fuel station, most of them are under maintenance or not working. 

2. If so, where to obtain those regulations? (I have searched but still couldn't find) 

That's why I keep a mini air compressor in my boot.:)

Edited by Twin Turbo

4 hours ago, gayanath said:

1. They are contractually bound with Ceypetco/IOC who in return, are contractually bound with the government.

2. You can check with Ceypetco or IOC

3. Seriously, don't you have anything better to do in life, instead of worrying about air pumps in fuel stations?

14 hours ago, Crosswind said:

3. Seriously, don't you have anything better to do in life, instead of worrying about air pumps in fuel stations?

Seriously, this mentality is the major drawback in our countries development. :);) 

• Like 1

I don't think we can expect "value added services" from local fuel stations that don't even do their primary function properly - delivering quality fuel to vehicles. However, I think most if not all Laugfs fuel stations have air free of charge. I know that some new Ceypetco stations have them, but not all. I guess it depends on the size of the establishment as well. But again, they fail over time and never get repaired. I doubt there are regulations around services fuel stations should adhere to. 

So as the popular saying goes... 

හුළං නොමිළේ මුහුදු වෙරලේ 

3 minutes ago, vag2 said:

seriously, this Gayanath is a typical example for the Sri Lankan/Anthare mentality of expecting EVERYTHING for free. Although the air is FREE,the MACHINE that is needed to pump it is NOT.and it needs MAINTENANCE ,are you willing to PAY for the REPAIRS(or at least the Air service) ? Looks like the petrol station owners are not,because it brings them no income.(yes,this is Sri Lanka,so everything you learn in Theory don't work in PRACTICE )

Sorry about you. 

I have clearly mentioned withing brackets (or at-least for a fee)

On the other hand, if you are a car owner you should know that, even though it should be free service, no body will fill air for free. Generally we are giving 20 to 50 rupees for the person who assist us. 

My concern is not whether its paid or free, but whether they are providing a legally bound essential service to customers or not? Its relevant not only for Sri Lanka but for any country in the World. 

1. If this service need not to be provide by them, why it became a mandatory requirement while obtaining the station license.? 

2. Do you know how profitable those fuel stations? The black market value of the license? Air service is just a penny for them. 

3. Not only air, as I heard they are bound to provide toilet facilities for the customers as well. 

It's shame that most of our people are thinking like you Mr. @vag2. That's why we are still a system less country...... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gayanath said:

Sorry about you. 

On the other hand, if you are a car owner you should know that, even though it should be free service, no body will fill air for free. Generally we are giving 20 to 50 rupees for the person who assist us. 

My concern is not whether its paid or free, but whether they are providing a legally bound essential service to customers or not? Its relevant not only for Sri Lanka but for any country in the World. 

1. If this service need not to be provide by them, why it became a mandatory requirement while obtaining the station license.? 

2. Do you know how profitable those fuel stations? The black market value of the license? Air service is just a penny for them. 

3. Not only air, as I heard they are bound to provide toilet facilities for the customers as well. 

It's shame that most of our people are thinking like you Mr. @vag2. That's why we are still a system less country......

Agree with you @gayanath. If there are legal bounds to get license, they need to fulfill those service to the customers.

Sad is authorities of our country don't functioning well and some citizens too thinking poorly or the rulers made citizens thinking power blunt.  That's why we have only 'proud history'.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gayanath said:

Sorry about you. 

Agree. If there are regulations fuel stations are bound with when they are granted the license they should comply with em. And we as consumers have the right to question if our rights are violated (I do not know if air is a regulatory requirement).

Fuel stations are not a very profitable business now. For one the margin is very thin and they need to buy fuel on cash. Only plus side is 99% of sales is also on cash so its a risk free business.

1 hour ago, kusumsiri said:

Agree with you @gayanath. If there are legal bounds to get license, they need to fulfill those service to the customers.

Sad is authorities of our country don't functioning well and some citizens too thinking poorly or the rulers made citizens thinking power blunt.  That's why we have only 'proud history'.

Why not! Like automobiles they too need regular maintenance ie lot of oiling and they then begin to function like mad :lol:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gayanath said:

Sorry about you. 

I'm actually curious about what you plan to do with this knowledge? Take the fuel stations who don't comply with these regulations to courts?

I just talked to a guy who works for LIOC. These are the facilities that need to be made available:

1. Air pump - for free
  2. Customer toilets
  3. Drinking water
  4. Fire extinguisher
  5. Sand buckets
  6. First aid kit
  7. Fuel samples in bottles
  8. Fuel quantity measuring bottle
  9. Fuel quality measuring kit

SO you have the information now. Please let us know your plans to fight against the evil tyranny of fuel station mafia, Mr. Rajini Kanth.

(Just FYI, most fuel stations are owned by goons or politicians. The reason is if you run a fuel station business, you are entitled for gun permits.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vag2 said:

yes,yes Mr.Wiseguy,say that to a manager of a Colombo fuel station and you will find the difference between THEORY and PRACTICE when they give a FREE TOILET facility to your FACE. (best case,because it takes a lot of political power and thuggery to get a fuel station permit. And I don't want to talks about worst case? )

My friend, 

No need to argue with any thug or those bloody people. We can handle those matters in smart way. 

http://www.petroleummin.gov.lk/index.php/en/9-news-events/70-fuel-customers

One complain will not do anything (yes, this is Sri Lanka btw). But hundreds of complains (call or emails) will do something.....

17 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

SO you have the information now. Please let us know your plans to fight against the evil tyranny of fuel station mafia, Mr. Rajini Kanth.

(Just FYI, most fuel stations are owned by goons or politicians. The reason is if you run a fuel station business, you are entitled for gun permits.)

16 minutes ago, gayanath said:

My friend, 

No need to argue with any thug or those bloody people. We can handle those matters in smart way. 

http://www.petroleummin.gov.lk/index.php/en/9-news-events/70-fuel-customers

One complain will not do anything (yes, this is Sri Lanka btw). But hundreds of complains (call or emails) will do something.....

When I m at grade 3 - 4 (I used to travel by bus with my mother to school) there are several people who are smoking on buses. Some are even thugs. There were sticker campaign (I dont know who has done) "Bas rathaya thula dum beemata wirudda wanna. E sandaha obata ayitiyak atha". Withing a year or so, (and up to now) no body is smoking inside the buses. 

So, nothing can't be done. Even a FB campaign will do lot of things (Will not do every thing, but some extend). 

Those are the practical ways rather than theoretical ways.....

4 hours ago, vag2 said:

yes please go ahead and start your next Fight for Free Air! But in the meantime the PRACTICAL way is to go to a tyre shop or keep your own compressor.

By the way we have other issues,like people mixing kerosene with fuel during transport with Bowsers in the News very often. But forget it, Free Air is more important,may be at the next T20 match you can wear your free air tshirt and show some banners? ?

OP asked a simple question. If you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute like Crosswind did (even with an opposing viewpoint), best to keep your trap shut without demonstrating your ignorance to the forum. 

7 hours ago, gayanath said:

When I m at grade 3 - 4 (I used to travel by bus with my mother to school) there are several people who are smoking on buses. Some are even thugs. There were sticker campaign (I dont know who has done) "Bas rathaya thula dum beemata wirudda wanna. E sandaha obata ayitiyak atha". Withing a year or so, (and up to now) no body is smoking inside the buses. 

Oh man... 

Smoking inside buses DID NOT stop because of the sticker campaign. It stopped because the government enacted a law, which made smoking in public places, a criminal offense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vag2 said:

@Crosswind looks like this kid still sees the world like when he was at grade 3-4 . I wont be surprised if he puts a sticker on his car " mema rathayata shed eken hulan labaa diyav! diyav,diyav nattan mama strike" ?

@vag2,

Seems that you got something missing in your kinder garden.  There are pre-matured people in our society who looks others always in their own angle and think all others are fools and I am the "pora".   

11 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Oh man... 

Smoking inside buses DID NOT stop because of the sticker campaign. It stopped because the government enacted a law, which made smoking in public places, a criminal offense. 

Are you serious my friend... I'm talking about early 90's.

How many smokers on buses caught by police in early 90's? How many people (specially foreigners) still smoking in public places in colombo? Are you sure, law enforcement is working here (SL)?

Honestly, I can't remember when this law enacted. As I remember it has enforced (or took surface even it was in the law books long before) after year 2000 or later. But smoking inside public transportation was stopped before mid 90's (lets say 1995).  I' m pretty sure. 

Note: Dear others, Sorry for going out of the topic. 

Edited by gayanath

50 minutes ago, vag2 said:

@Crosswind looks like this kid still sees the world like when he was at grade 3-4 . I wont be surprised if he puts a sticker on his car " mema rathayata shed eken hulan,vasikili pahasukam labaa diyav! diyav,diyav nattan mama pump eka langa chuu daanava"

15 hours ago, vishkid said:

OP asked a simple question. If you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute like Crosswind did (even with an opposing viewpoint), best to keep your trap shut without demonstrating your ignorance to the forum. 

Quoted again. @MADZ what happened to the dislike / vote down option?

6 minutes ago, vag2 said:

lol,isn't that EXACTLY what you want to do against the fuel station mafia that doesn't provide free Air,toilets? Now go back to your sticker campaign and peeing at the petrol pump,KID!

Thank you Sir...

No point of having regulations if they are not adhered to. raising your voice even for a small violation should be appreciated. After all aggregation of those small voices will become a force.

If rules say there should be air pumps etc etc in fuel filling stations they should. @vag2 you should accept that OP raised a valid question. Its your personal discretion that you go to a tyre shop for air, but that does not mean all others should not do it at a filling station.

2 hours ago, vag2 said:

@Crosswind looks like this kid still sees the world like when he was at grade 3-4 . I wont be surprised if he puts a sticker on his car " mema rathayata shed eken hulan,vasikili pahasukam labaa diyav! diyav,diyav nattan mama pump eka langa chuu daanava" ?

childish 

Edited by Quiet
  • Like 1

Some fuel stations, like the one at Horton Place roundabout, do provide air filling service with a person permanently assigned for the job. Almost all the time you can see vehicles queuing up for their service. I am sure everyone make a payment to the guy for doing the job. gayanath has a valid point why others cannot do the same.

20 hours ago, Crosswind said:

I just talked to a guy who works for LIOC. These are the facilities that need to be made available:

1. Air pump - for free
  2. Customer toilets
  3. Drinking water
  4. Fire extinguisher
  5. Sand buckets
  6. First aid kit
  7. Fuel samples in bottles
  8. Fuel quantity measuring bottle
  9. Fuel quality measuring kit

Interesting. So the regulations are there, but not enforced or the fuel station owners (being politicians and goons) operate above the law as usual. That's disappointing.

It also looks like the regulations are not up to date. I mean "sand buckets" - really? What is this the 60s? :) I do remember that there used to be red buckets labelled "sand" (in Sinhala) at fuel stations. Surely they would have changed to fire extinguishers now.

35 minutes ago, Davy said:

Interesting. So the regulations are there, but not enforced or the fuel station owners (being politicians and goons) operate above the law as usual. That's disappointing.

It also looks like the regulations are not up to date. I mean "sand buckets" - really? What is this the 60s? :) I do remember that there used to be red buckets labelled "sand" (in Sinhala) at fuel stations. Surely they would have changed to fire extinguishers now.

would one sand bucket be adequate?

2 hours ago, Quiet said:

would one sand bucket be adequate?

Buckets (plural). In case you haven't seen them, here's an example:

http://www.imgrum.org/media/1100350149450090983_308480337

As to whether it will be adequate, the idea behind having sand or fire extinguishers is to stop a fire as soon as it has just erupted. if it has spread beyond control, not even the fire department will be able to stop it in time, let alone a couple of sand buckets or a fire extinguisher.