• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Compressor thermal protector

ThushanthaSrimal

Question

My car is Honda city type z 2001.

Recently I repaired my ac compressor due to a problem in the coil.

After the repair I noticed that the mechanic has wired the compressor, by passing the thermal protector.

Now the ac is not enough when the engine running idle under a hot sunshine.

But when I'm driving its fine.

Is this a problem with that thermal protector and is it a problem by passing it?

10 answers to this question

this symptom has no relationship with thermal protector.

there are few possibilities.

1. once you fixed the repaired compressor , there is refrigerant leak, so now your system is not fully charged (pressure test would be enough to identify this ).

2. compressor is weak. so it can do its job at high RPM, that's why AC is good enough when you drive, but it can not do its job at idle RPM.

3. Fan/s doesn't work  or problem in the condenser. when you travel counter wind flow will help it to cool down the condenser  (you can eliminate this by doing a test, at neutral just throttle to increase the RPM to 4000,if it started to blow cool air, then this can be eliminated).

4. blockage in AC system, experienced technician can identify this using a pressure test.  

Edited by MV-5
typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MV-5 said:

this symptom has no relationship with thermal protector.

there are few possibilities.

1. once you fixed the repaired compressor , there is refrigerant leak, so now your system is not fully charged (pressure test would be enough to identify this ).

2. compressor is weak. so it can do its job at high RPM, that's why AC is good enough when you drive, but it can not do its job at idle RPM.

3. Fan/s doesn't work  or problem in the condenser. when you travel counter wind flow will help it to cool down the condenser  (you can eliminate this by doing a test, at neutral just throttle to increase the RPM to 4000,if it started to blow cool air, then this can be eliminated).

4. blockage in AC system, experienced technician can identify this using a pressure test.  

Thank you very much.

That is very helpful....

When you rev the engine in idle does it cool better? (I'm guessing not) 

The reason why it cools better when you are moving is because fresh air hits the ac condenser better and the condenser cools off easily. When you are idle and sitting in traffic the condenser is surrounded by hot air from your own car and those around. Sometimes something simple like dirt on the condenser can cause it to be less effective. Try washing the condenser with a pressure washer and see if it improves. And check the state of the condenser fins, see if they are bent. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 8:58 AM, The Stig said:

When you rev the engine in idle does it cool better? (I'm guessing not) 

The reason why it cools better when you are moving is because fresh air hits the ac condenser better and the condenser cools off easily. When you are idle and sitting in traffic the condenser is surrounded by hot air from your own car and those around. Sometimes something simple like dirt on the condenser can cause it to be less effective. Try washing the condenser with a pressure washer and see if it improves. And check the state of the condenser fins, see if they are bent. 

Nop no success on cleaning the condenser. May be the gas pressure is low. I will check it.

5 minutes ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Yep please tell me the place....

Please use below link to see the location. Place is highly recommended since i've been going there for almost 13 years (whenever i get any AC troubles )

https://www.google.co.in/maps/@6.9020721,79.9056396,3a,75y,89.37h,88.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sskQsT9vSJKijAP2qBV2Yig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edited by PerfMad
updated the link

3 minutes ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Nop no success on cleaning the condenser. May be the gas pressure is low. I will check it.

If the pressure is low, that means there could be a leak somewhere in the system. Therefore perform a pressure test and identify the issue

4 hours ago, PerfMad said:

Please use below link to see the location. Place is highly recommended since i've been going there for almost 13 years (whenever i get any AC troubles )

https://www.google.co.in/maps/@6.9020721,79.9056396,3a,75y,89.37h,88.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sskQsT9vSJKijAP2qBV2Yig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Thanks a lot. I will try.....