• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car won't go over 4000 rpm

da_semicolon

Question

Hi everyone! This is my first question on this forum :)

So I have a 2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0l and the issue with it doesn't go over 4000 rpm when accelerating. Engine starts to miss a bit at 4000 and hangs there. All I know is that the previous owner has changed the stock injectors to injectors from a different 1.5l Engine. (I know right ! :huh:) So I was wondering whether this could affect the rpm. (That might sound like a no shit question but please do help me). All I've been doing after I bought the car was replacing what was messed up with genuine parts.

Thanks in advance

15 answers to this question

Will the engine rev above that without a load? parked in neutral.

The previous owner may have ha a good reason to go to smaller injectors, maybe wanted to save fuel? any idea of your current fuel consumption?

Edited by Twin Turbo

6 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Will the engine rev above that without a load? parked in neutral.

The previous owner may have ha a good reason to go to smaller injectors, maybe wanted to save fuel? any idea of your current fuel consumption?

It's the same when on Neutral as well. Car is doing 7kmpl on city driving and I guess that's the normal range for this car. So I don't think it's saving any fuel. Previous owner had put in a Toyota fuel filter as well on the car. I recently bought the original fuel filter for the car but still didn't get time to replace it.

Could be due to many reasons IMO. But some of them are:

- Blocked exhaust - specifically the catalytic converter. You will need take the catalytic converter out to inspect if this is the issue.

- Throttle body issue. The butterfly valve doesn't open fully due to a mechanical fault

- Leaking high tension leads (plug wires) causing a cylinder to not get a spark as you rev up

- Insufficient fuel pressure (could be due to a bad fuel pump or clogged filter)

- The factory fitted rev limiter in your car is faulty (it should not restrict revs while in gear)

Get the exhaust checked out first. Inspect your high tension leads and then get the EFI system cleaned and a diagnostic scan done.

• Like 1

My bet is on the plug wires or ignition coil. Get them checked first. Rainbow motors sells a non-genuine Mondeo coil pack which has its terminals mixed up (not in the right order - 1324 instead of 1234). There's also a possibility that this coil has been fitted and not wired up in the correct order.

18 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

My bet is on the plug wires or ignition coil. Get them checked first. Rainbow motors sells a non-genuine Mondeo coil pack which has its terminals mixed up (not in the right order - 1324 instead of 1234). There's also a possibility that this coil has been fitted and not wired up in the correct order.

Before 6 months I've replaced with a  Ignition coil pack bought down from the UK. I guess that's the same but I could try changing the order.

I know nothing about this car model. but if your car is smooth at below 4000 RPM, then there is a very thin chance that your car has a problem in ignition coil or wires.

4000 RPM  (might be specific to a model, some car models it might be 3.8K RPM) is a magic number for some car models produced in this era. when engine hit this RPM , ECU will switch the car into a different mode. injector spray pattern also will be changed , some engine might switch to a different cam profile.your car might have some problem related to this high power mode.

again, my post might be totally not relevant for your car model.i just wanted to give some hint.

Edited by MV-5
typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MV-5 said:

I know nothing about this car model. but if your car is smooth at below 4000 RPM, then there is a very thin chance that your car has a problem in ignition coil or wires.

4000 RPM  (might be specific to a model, some car models it might be 3.8K RPM) is a magic number for some car models produced in this era. when engine hit this RPM , ECU will switch the car into a different mode. injector spray pattern also will be changed , some engine might switch to a different cam profile.your car might have some problem related to this high power mode.

again, my post might be totally not relevant for your car model.i just wanted to give some hint.

You are right about some car models but that's not the case with mondeos. 

Is there a a check engine light on? 

Is the feeling the same as hitting the rev limiter? 

Why I ask this is because the car could be in limp home mode, in this mode the car cuts off fuel after arround 3500 rpm. We had a simmilar issue (not a mondeo)  where the maf was malfunctioning on a long trip and I disconnected it since the car died off at idle, long story short the car worked fine without the maf but could not rev beyond 3500-4000rpm. 

4 hours ago, The Stig said:

Is there a a check engine light on? 

Is the feeling the same as hitting the rev limiter? 

Why I ask this is because the car could be in limp home mode, in this mode the car cuts off fuel after arround 3500 rpm. We had a simmilar issue (not a mondeo)  where the maf was malfunctioning on a long trip and I disconnected it since the car died off at idle, long story short the car worked fine without the maf but could not rev beyond 3500-4000rpm. 

Well that's the thing where I'm confused too. There is no check engine light. Also did a scan and it did not return any faults. Either previous mechanics did a good job hiding them or there isn't any issues at all. Would replacing fuel filter help?

On 12/04/2017 at 11:54 PM, da_semicolon said:

An update. I've replaced the fuel filter and that didn't seem to change anything as expected. 

Get the ignition system checked as Crosswind suggested. Pretty sure he is speaking out of personal experience. 

On 4/14/2017 at 7:27 AM, Davy said:

Get the ignition system checked as Crosswind suggested. Pretty sure he is speaking out of personal experience. 

By ignition system if you've meant the spark plugs and the coil packs those were replaced around 5 months ago just because of this issue.

10 minutes ago, da_semicolon said:

By ignition system if you've meant the spark plugs and the coil packs those were replaced around 5 months ago just because of this issue.

What I suggested was to check whether the coil pack is wired correctly. While you are at it, do check the HT leads as well.

You can do your own little OBD scan and see if the car is throwing out any error codes.

1. Press and hold the tripmeter reset button while the car is off

2. Turn the ignition key to position II (ignition on but car is not started) while holding the tripmeter reset button

3. The LCD display should indicate TEST after few seconds

4. Keep pressing the tripmeter reset button, until you get to DTC and note down the DTC codes

5. Do a google search on the DTC codes to get an idea of the issue

You can check the following video for guidance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEWwgpsj6SM