• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hey guys, now the new trend is hybrid. But I;m really confused in this concept. What is the best model to use in sri lanka. Hybrid or non hybrid cars? according to fuel consumption, second hand market and of course the conditions. Please give me a specific answer hybrid or non hybrid? and please give some good examples for hybrid or non hybrid cars to use in sri lanka.

Edited by ruki147

22 minutes ago, ruki147 said:

I'll give you some choices ...can you prioritize them according above factors mentioned

honda civic, toyota corolla, toyota allion, mithsubishi lancer, honda grace

Going by your requirements I'd say you should go for a Toyota Corolla / Toyota Allion

24 minutes ago, ruki147 said:

I'll give you some choices ...can you prioritize them according above factors mentioned

honda civic, toyota corolla, toyota allion, mithsubishi lancer, honda grace

there are many models of honda civics (including  hybrids) same goes for the corolla .... it all depends on your requirement budget etc. :D 

Uhhh....so what are you asking For anyone to advise you on buying between a Hybrid and Non-Hybrid (irrespective of brand and model) you would need to tell us a bit more like...

- how often would you use the car (daily ? or a weekend car ?)

- how much would you actually be using the car ? (like...would you do a few hundred km per month ? or a thousand or even more ?) Even if a car is a daily used car it doesn't mean you will drive it a lot...I had a car which I used every day but every month I put only about 300km.

- how long do you intend to keep it for ? (this might not be a valid question as in SL ppl change cars based on what would make their neighbors' panties drop and not on any sensible factors)

- How much do you intend to spend ?

- Where will it be used ? Outstation ? Hilly areas ? Within a city ? Middle of no where ?

- What kind of work will it be used for ? <seems like passenger hauling as you seem to focus more on sedans>

• Like 2

My cousin has been trying to sell his Prius for almost 3 months now,many people coming but not buying.He says hybrids have poor second hand market,if it was his Allion it would have gone within 2 weeks. The current trend seems to be,stay with Indian until you can afford a Hybrid from Japan,But never a hybrid used in Sri Lanka?

Edited by vag2

12 hours ago, vag2 said:

My cousin has been trying to sell his Prius for almost 3 months now,many people coming but not buying.He says hybrids have poor second hand market,if it was his Allion it would have gone within 2 weeks. The current trend seems to be,stay with Indian until you can afford a Hybrid from Japan,But never a hybrid used in Sri Lanka?

the theory with hybrids is you bought them when they were cheap a few years ago and sell cheap....if anyone tries to sell at eye-watering prices (read Corolla 121) then it won't happen. 

Offtopic - but your username tho... :action-smiley-015: does it stand for Volkswagen AG ???

Edited by matroska

I have no idea about the hybrid cars' market value.But anyway,a person that I know bought a Honda Insight in 2011,unregistered,imported through a friend.He had to pay about 3.5 million and the car was in pristine condition even thought 16k kms done.YOM 2009.Last December he sold the car for 3.5 million again.What made me amazed was the mileage, abt 140k kms and the interior was full of dirt due to his two children.Now he drives a Grace.Yesterday I got the chance to drive it.Probably the most balanced hybrid car I met.

What makes your car sell faster is not the mileage, neither the condition,BUT OF COURSE YOUR LUCK!!!

I don't know but I've seen 240 Allions manufactured in 2006 or 2007 for sale in ik**n.lk which had done well over 90k km or even over 100k km in good condition(not pristine) quotiong prices like 4.0-4.3 million.After few days the advertisement is gone.For that price,we can get a good 260 Allion.Maybe the owner had given up the idea of selling the car and that might be the reason the ad dissapeared????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vag2 said:

What your cousin has faced is called REALITY. It's not just for hybrids. It would be the same even if he tried to sell the Allion.

I had a tough time selling a Corolla 110 some years ago, even after quoting below-market prices. There are too too many of these cars in the market so buyers have a choice. 

• Like 1

Yes many used hybrids out there for sale,but the potential buyers end up settling for a brand new Kwid or used Japanese non-hybrid paid with cash. Maybe Bass people advocating fears of potential problems they will face with a hybrid aging in Sri Lanka keeps them away? But in the end they also buy a non registered hybrid once they can save enough money for the"upgrade" ?

Edited by vag2

It's damn hard to find a reasonably priced vehicle.I was searching for a car during the last 3 weeks where I settled down with a Fit GE6.Although no one adviced it was a little difficult to make the mind to buy a used hybrid some way or the other you tend to think about the battery Other problem is most of the non hybrids seems not worth the price