• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diff OIL for Subaru

najathugail

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

Does my source of knowladge give you any knowlage? all this because you have admitted to being so,.

.Where and how i got my knowlage is not the point, those who admit to not knowing anything assume me to be as ignorent as them,.. typically SL,..

It does. It gives an indication of the credibility of the information you've provided.This is why people cite references everywhere. The perception about the accuracy of a piece of information posted/published somewhere is highly governed by where it has been derived from.

5 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

140w is recomended for LSD diffs   And yes Honda is a cookey manufacturer who think they make space shuttles.

The WRX and STi do have a LSD at the rear. 

1 hour ago, iRage said:

So...as the above took a nasty turn to no where in helping you out...and seems like no one here with a STi has responded might I suggest the following ?

Go to one or two of the reputed and well known garages that work (and race prep) on cars like Evos and WRXs...have a chat with them and see what they recommend or what they use. 

Alternatively, you can try going to one of the car meets or go to some of the famous FB groups and ask your question. There a lot of ricers with Evos and WRXs who are complete douche bags (can I say douche bag on the forum ?) but some f them are quite nice and extremely helpful.

Guess they don't care,..or don't know, ;) This has fast become the diff oil conspiracy of 2017!  :D

Edited by Twin Turbo

3 hours ago, Davy said:

It does. It gives an indication of the credibility of the information you've provided.This is why people cite references everywhere. The perception about the accuracy of a piece of information posted/published somewhere is highly governed by where it has been derived from.

The WRX and STi do have a LSD at the rear. 

Edited by Twin Turbo

2 hours ago, simpleone said:

I used 75w90 for a Familia. When I wanted to change oil, found that the previous owner had run it only having gunk in the diff let alone oil. 75w90 worked fine for me with no change in color or viscosity when I checked regularly..

Does the Familia have a LSD ? The thing is....LSDs will/may not do that well with standard diff oil (standard diff oil being oil you would put in an open diff which you would get in a normal car like a Familia or Corolla or Sunny). 

So yes...75w90 might work well in a Familia with an open diff...however it might not necessarily be the best option for a car with a LSD

6 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Te sticker tells you what the thing needs.

140w is recomended for LSD diffs not all vehicles have lsd's

And yes Honda is a cookey manufacturer who think they make space shuttles.

But you DO know that WRXs have LSDs right ? Even the OP has stated as such.

Yes the sticker tells you what the thing needs...the OP told what he needs (LSD diff oil)....but what the heck were you going on about ? 

Perhaps you should go and re-edit and correct your posts so that future readers will not get mislead and put standard diff oil in to their LSDs and potentially mess it up.

Toyota and Suzuki are sewing machine makers;Mazda makes bottle caps/corks on wheels; Mitsubishi is a cheap trading company that thought ships and cars were the same. I guess we should all just buy Nissans thankfully to Datsun.

Edited by iRage

12 hours ago, iRage said:

ut you DO know that WRXs have LSDs right ? Even the OP has stated as such.

Yes the sticker tells you what the thing needs...the OP told what he needs (LSD diff oil)....but what the heck were you going on about ? 

Perhaps you should go and re-edit and correct your posts so that future readers will not get mislead and put standard diff oil in to their LSDs and potentially mess it up.

Toyota and Suzuki are sewing machine makers;Mazda makes bottle caps/corks on wheels; Mitsubishi is a cheap trading company that thought ships and cars were the same. I guess we should all just buy Nissans thankfully to Datsun.

for skoobies with lsd are sealed LS90  is recomended.. why slow one diff with thicker oil when you have full time 4wd. only EP90 is awailable in the ceypetco range.

Edited by Twin Turbo

58 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

for skoobies with lsd are sealed LS90  is recomended.. why slow one diff with thicker oil when you have full time 4wd.

lol. 20 minutes after posting, did you realise EP90 was wrong and change it to LS90 after further Googling? You really are something you know. :D What you may have not realised is that I never said your first answer is wrong, in fact I think it makes more sense than what you have said here after a few members rattled you and made you doubt what you've said. This conversation would have gone better if you just gave in and shared the links. 

Because this thread is veering off course, let me clarify a few things first for the benefit of OP.

1. If your car has modified LSDs or an engine, what is specified in the manufacturer's guidelines will not work. I have a couple of friends who own GC8 WRXs and use different oils so that their engines work best with the mods. This raises a question back to you. Is your engine stock? If yes, then the manufacturer recommends SAE 40. (Winter rating isn't relevant for a country like Sri Lanka)

2. Same goes for your LSDs. If they are modified, you may want to check which oil suits you best, but the manufacturer spec for any diff (LSD or not):

- Transmission: 75W90

- Rear Diff: 75W90

- Front Diff: 80W90

Again, the winter rating isn't relevant to Sri Lanka, so you can use any GL-5 oil with SAE 90. Use whatever is easier to find.

Source: http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/99-01 impreza service manuals/General Information.pdf (Page 42 onwards)

Full Manual for OP's benefit: http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/99-01 impreza service manuals/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Davy said:

Because this thread is veering off course, let me clarify a few things first for the benefit of OP.2. Same goes for your LSDs. If they are modified, you may want to check which oil suits you best, but the manufacturer spec for any diff (LSD or not):

- Transmission: 75W90

- Rear Diff: 75W90

- Front Diff: 80W90

I think this works in a general case. Toyota recommends LSD Oil specifically which is 140  and the explanation is that it is more versatile for a wider range of operating/driving conditions (but it does not necessarily say it can't use 90 and doing some digging TRD's LSD Oil used t be 90 but now its 140). So again...it will have to be a matter of application and manufacturer I guess.

Edited by iRage

28 minutes ago, iRage said:

I think this works in a general case. Toyota recommends LSD Oil specifically which is 140  and the explanation is that it is more versatile for a wider range of operating/driving conditions (but it does not necessarily say it can't use 90 and doing some digging TRD's LSD Oil used t be 90 but now its 140). So again...it will have to be a matter of application and manufacturer I guess.

Edited by Twin Turbo

1 minute ago, Twin Turbo said:

Are we discussing Toyotas or Subaru's

It was a general comment stating that the general case might not necessarily work and that one should look in to manufacturer specific recommendations as well as third part requirements (based on mods/upgrades done to the car as Davy correctly stated). The reference to "Toyota" per say was to give bearing (or validate) my statement (something you probably need to get in to the habit of doing...even if it means what you find through google....people will respect you for that). 

@najathugail IF ur in doubt suggest you get your car n go to Senok and ask for some advice on the types of oils u should use. THIS i would believe is the best choice as i did the same with my Legacy. they might be willing to do an inspection as well and in my book it will be worth it. U get a better know how on ur car n they can advice on what you should do.

In my case i went n did the full service when i got my car n snapped some images of the oils they put so i know next time around what needs to be done IF i somehow could not go to Senok for the next service

The following oils were swapped with the filters, mine being an Auto, engine oil filter & transmission filter was changed,

Engine oil - Castrol Edge Titanium FST 10W60SN

Diff - Valvoline High Performance 80W-90SAE

ATF - Valvoline DEX III ATF

17 hours ago, iRage said:

Does the Familia have a LSD ? The thing is....LSDs will/may not do that well with standard diff oil (standard diff oil being oil you would put in an open diff which you would get in a normal car like a Familia or Corolla or Sunny). 

So yes...75w90 might work well in a Familia with an open diff...however it might not necessarily be the best option for a car with a LSD

Its Familia with AWD. And 75w90 was poured to the rear diff. Im also not sure about OP's ride where standard oil could be too thin. If nobody knows (agents, friends or a reliable source) what oil should be used for his diff, he can use the standard and check regularly to see if the oil burns by overheating. (which I did)

• Like 1