• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diff OIL for Subaru

najathugail

Hi Guys , 

I am new to this Forum, and all your advice and help will be much appreciated .

I recently got a Subaru STI 5 ( 1999 ) (2000 CC Turbo )  , not much driven ( 58,000 KM ) what i need to know is ,

1. Whats the LSD oil should i USE for Front DIFF and Back DIFF ( I have no clue whats the OIL used before in this car )
2. For engine oil i am using 10W-40 Liqy Molly - > will that be ok 
3. Gear Oil Vs Diff Oil , is that the same or different ?? 

please advice me on this , thank you in advance 

3 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:
  1. 75w90 synthetic gear oil is recommended
  2. Engine oil viscosity is ok.
  3. same other than automatic.

Mate, I'm no expert in diff oils since I honestly don't know. For the benefit of the OP, please state where you found out the information --> Translation - Where did you copy this from? 

If this comes from your experience, please state the actual model of the car that you had and other relevant information for the benefit of the OP. He bought the car recently and if he follows up on your advice and if you're wrong, he's looking at a world of pain. Be responsible. 

Apologies if my assumption about your advice is wrong. 

13 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:
  1. 75w90 synthetic gear oil is recommended
  2. Engine oil viscosity is ok.
  3. same other than automatic.

I got the feeling that OP implied by the phrase "will that be OK" was to ask for the use of engine oil in differentials? (I could be wrong though). In  that case the answer should be NO.

21 minutes ago, Rumesh88 said:

I got the feeling that OP implied by the phrase "will that be OK" was to ask for the use of engine oil in differentials? (I could be wrong though). In  that case the answer should be NO.

The second point was with the engine oil. who on earth  advises engine oil to be put on differentials?:huh: this is not a three wheeler.:D

Edited by Twin Turbo

4 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Man,you claim to be an absoloute novice ,yet the lengths you've thought of in the case is simply amaizing,..good for the poster,..:)  

OP and the rest of the folks, sorry about the OT here. 

It probably is good for the poster since novices like me ask him/her to exercise critical thinking without buying loads of BS that pseudo experts like you seem to spawn. I do have a problem when people give advice on a public forum like this without qualifying what they say. 

4 minutes ago, Sierra Charlie said:

OP and the rest of the folks, sorry about the OT here. 

It probably is good for the poster since novices like me ask him/her to exercise critical thinking without buying loads of BS that pseudo experts like you seem to spawn. I do have a problem when people give advice on a public forum like this without qualifying what they say. 

So what do you recommend he put in his diff? Singer oil?:D

Edited by Twin Turbo

In a country where we don't chsange trans oil/ flui till gear boxes get stuck,..

6 minutes ago, Sierra Charlie said:

I don't know. Never used a Subaru. Maybe someone who actually used an STI 5 would come along and share their experience.

Have you used an STI 5 and changed the Diff oil in it? 

and you have a prob with what you don't know , havent done , 

Edited by Twin Turbo

29 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

The second point was with the engine oil. who on earth  advises engine oil to be put on differentials?:huh: this is not a three wheeler.:D

Question is not about what you said but what OP implied - something only  OP can clarify.

2 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

In a country where we don't chsange trans oil/ flui till gear boxes get stuck,..

and you have a prob with what you don't know , havent done , 

Answer my question first. "Have you used an STI 5 and changed the Diff oil in it?"

If you haven't, please share your source so the OP can go ahead and research more. 

34 minutes ago, Sierra Charlie said:

Answer my question first. "Have you used an STI 5 and changed the Diff oil in it?"

If you haven't, please share your source so the OP can go ahead and research more. 

And this benefits the poster how?

1 minute ago, Twin Turbo said:

Does my source of knowladge give you any knowlage? all this because you have admitted to being so,.

case closed,..

Content posted on public forum by people with zero to low credibility should be taken with a grain of salt, so I don't see anything wrong with @Sierra Charlie's concern with regard to how you arrived at your answers. So why don't you give a yes/no answer to his question and call it a day without displaying your attitude here?

Also, @Rumesh88 pointed out an uncertainty in OP's question, not your answer. You seem to be having an issue with your attitude. Keep in mind that you need to respect other members in order for others to respect you.

6 minutes ago, Davy said:

Content posted on public forum by people with zero to low credibility should be taken with a grain of salt, so I don't see anything wrong with @Sierra Charlie's concern with regard to how you arrived at your answers. So why don't you give a yes/no answer to his question and call it a day without displaying your attitude here?

Also, @Rumesh88 pointed out an uncertainty in OP's question, not your answer. You seem to be having an issue with your attitude. Keep in mind that you need to respect other members in order for others to respect you.

Does my source of knowladge give you any knowlage? all this because you have admitted to being so,.

.Where and how i got my knowlage is not the point, those who admit to not knowing anything assume me to be as ignorent as them,.. typically SL,..

Edited by Twin Turbo

15 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

.Where and how i got my knowlage is not the point, those who admit to not knowing anything assume me to be as ignorent as them,.. typically SL,..

I admit. I think you're probably more ignorant than those who declare that they don't know. At least those people know that they don't know.

People like you say that you know. Post something that you found somewhere on the Internet without fact-checking it. Then unsuspecting people like the OP go ahead and try to apply it. If you found what you found through a reliable source, all good. If not, people like the OP could be get in to trouble. <-- For this, I have experience. Hence why I insist that you share your sources. 

Now as for proving that you're not ignorant, "Have you used and STI 5 and changed the diff oil in it?"

So...as the above took a nasty turn to no where in helping you out...and seems like no one here with a STi has responded might I suggest the following ?

Go to one or two of the reputed and well known garages that work (and race prep) on cars like Evos and WRXs...have a chat with them and see what they recommend or what they use. 

Alternatively, you can try going to one of the car meets or go to some of the famous FB groups and ask your question. There a lot of ricers with Evos and WRXs who are complete douche bags (can I say douche bag on the forum ?) but some f them are quite nice and extremely helpful.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

what relavence is there to the gear oil used in it?

75w90 gear oil is universally used in man gear boxes and diffs.

Can you please state your source? How do you know this? Is it assumption, heresay or experience? 

And please do enlighten me. Have you used and STI 5 and changed the diff oil in it?

36 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

what relavence is there to the gear oil used in it?

75w90 gear oil is universally used in man gear boxes and diffs.

Not necessarily....

My Mark X's rear diff oil requires 75w85. However, the ones with the LSD has a sticker that says LSD Oil only and the LSD oil Toyota has is 85w-140

The AWD variant require 85w90 in the front.

What you recommend might be true for general applications but sometimes the manufacturer does recommend something else (kind of like the whole CR-V dilemna...Honda recommends their specific diff oil..however there were quite a few know it alls who put general diff oil only to have the rear completely mucked up...). 

Te sticker tells you what the thing needs.

140w is recomended for LSD diffs not all vehicles have lsd's

And yes Honda is a cookey manufacturer who think they make space shuttles.

Edited by Twin Turbo