• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How these kind of nuts working ?

Pajero

Hi Friends,

I bought this nut because the guy in the shop told me this will prevent loosen my scooter's rear wheel from the axle. Please anyone can tell me how this nut prevent from loosening and how this differ from other normal nuts ? 

Thanks,

Pajero.

120218.jpg

You're supposed to use a split pin with this kind of nut. The shaft/axle into which the nut is installed should have a hole to insert the split pin. Refer image below:

lcnut4.gif

17.jpg

Edited by Davy
Added images

10 minutes ago, Davy said:

You're supposed to use a split pin with this kind of nut. The shaft/axle into which the nut is installed should have a hole to insert the split pin. Refer image below:

lcnut4.gif

17.jpg

Thanks for the reply, but he doesn't mention to use any pin for this giving me a doubt as well :) my axle seems not having a hole like you said but ill try to make one. From the previous nut the wheel always loosen periodically after tighten  

Did your parts supplier provide you a split pin (also called Cottor pin) as shown above in Davy's post????? if not, you need to get one maby Rs 30/= or so.. you can use a normal common nail to to mesure the thickness of the hole in the threaded shaft. the nail can be used as a sample to get the correct size. a common iron nail can also be used as atemporary solution in an emergency if the split pin has broken and fallen off . buy some extras they will always come in handy  . :)

pin.jpg

6 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

This also works on loosning nuts.The self locking nut.will be simpler to fit yet affective in your application.

TT.

Image result for self locking nut

B) Thanks 

4 hours ago, Splat said:

Did your parts supplier provide you a split pin (also called Cottor pin) as shown above in Davy's post????? if not, you need to get one maby Rs 30/= or so.. you can use a normal common nail to to mesure the thickness of the hole in the threaded shaft. the nail can be used as a sample to get the correct size. a common iron nail can also be used as atemporary solution in an emergency if the split pin has broken and fallen off . buy some extras they will always come in handy  . :)

pin.jpg

By any chance will this nut works preventing loosening without this pin :P ?  Thanks anyway 

6 hours ago, Pajero said:

Thanks for the reply, but he doesn't mention to use any pin for this giving me a doubt as well :) my axle seems not having a hole like you said but ill try to make one. From the previous nut the wheel always loosen periodically after tighten  

I don't think drilling a hole in your axle is a good idea.Just use a nylon sleeved lock nut (the one that Twin Turbo has shared) or use a second nut to lock the first one in place. Using a second nut will only work if the axle is long enough to accommodate a second nut. As with the nylon sleeved lock nut, it will also have to be replaced periodically as the nylon will wear out and start slipping. 

41 minutes ago, Davy said:

I don't think drilling a hole in your axle is a good idea.Just use a nylon sleeved lock nut (the one that Twin Turbo has shared) or use a second nut to lock the first one in place. Using a second nut will only work if the axle is long enough to accommodate a second nut. As with the nylon sleeved lock nut, it will also have to be replaced periodically as the nylon will wear out and start slipping. 

Yeah surely that will be a trouble for me. I'll look for another solution ;) 

30 minutes ago, Splat said:

How did the original come???? :to_clue:Whats the make and model of the scooter....?

Cant remember, the thread on the hole of the wheel where the axle fit on warned off because of loosening the nut (in sinhala : "gru eka gihin") so i remade that "gru" of the wheel. The model is Yamaha VOX. Today i tighten it with a another nut, now there are two nuts tightening the wheel so i think there won't be any issue in future. ;)