• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Suv to buy under 50lakhs?

Dishan@1

Question

Please help me to buy a suv under 50 lakhs which is economical in fuel, reliable and having a good second hand market.

Totally confused with,

1.Rexton

2.Kia sorrento

3.Hyundai Santa fe

4.Toyota Lexus or Harrier ( 2000- 2004 )

5.mitsubishi inter cooler older version

6.Outlander ( 2005 maybe )

7.Kyron

8.Toyota rav 4

9.Toyota Fielder ( non hybrid)

10.Hyundai Tucson

Please help what should I go with..

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dishan@1

24 answers to this question

57 minutes ago, Dishan@1 said:

@iRage Thank you for the reply.

Actually i've gone through some of the threads regarding this matter.

Still found it difficult to get a reasonable answr.

My basic need would be to travel 20km (avg)around city limits on daily basis and once in a while travel outstation.Since it would be nice if the vehicle is fuel efficient and also posses enough power.

Regarding honda crv and nissan xtrail i've heard that they are both not that efficient in terms of fuel consumption..is it true?

i don't think any of the other models fare well in the fuel consumption factor (compared to CRV/XTRAIL ) either....

• Like 2

Toyota Fielder is the JDm Corolla station wagon. It is neither a cross-over not a SUV. In regards to item 4; you get either the Toyota Harrier (JDM variant) or the Lexus RX (export model variant).

Its interesting that you have left out the likes of the Honda CR-V and Nissan X-Trail; not to mention the Suzuki Vitara (which mind you is the cheapest of the CR-V, X-Trail, RAV4 class of vehicles and is most off-road capable). 

Most of the the vehicles above have been discussed quite a lot so you might want to go through those. Having done that, if you state what exactly your requirements are along with clarifications of whatever you read about the vehicles; you will be in a better position to get more productive/sensible responses.

• Like 1

My basic need would be to travel 20km (avg)around city limits on daily basis and once in a while travel outstation.Since it would be nice if the vehicle is fuel efficient and also posses enough power.

Regarding honda crv and nissan xtrail i've heard that they are both not that efficient in terms of fuel consumption..is it true?

1 hour ago, Dishan@1 said:

I've had several RAV4s and CR-Vs and had close friends who have X-Trails bith in SL, Japan and a few other countries....they all have on average the same fuel figures...5-7 kmpl depending on your driving style and usage pattern. The CR-V mind you was a bit better than the others. I am sure you will have plenty of "friends" and sellers saying that their CR-V, RAV4, X-trail does 9-10kmpl....its really hard to believe. The RAV4 which I used in Japan before bringing here and my friends' X-Trails did about 8-9 on a combined cycle (50% city 50% expressway like driving)...hard to imagine these cars would do as better in SL. 

If fuel consumption is a concern then you should not be looking at SUVs.  CR-Vs, X-Trails and RAV4s all fall within the same power bracket. 150ish HP from 2.0L engines (Xtrail 2.0L only had about 128HP though) and about 170HP from the 2.4-2.5L engines. Personally I find the 2.0L variants a bit underpowered (unless they are the very old versions and are light....the newer ones are heavier and the little engines do not handle too well...which is why Toyota scarpped the 2.0L engine from the A30 series RAV4).

Why do you specifically need a Cross-over/SUV though ? For your price range you will be able to get a much newer sedan, which would be more comfortable as well, potentially better on fuel (depending on the car) and easier to drive around in Colombo traffic. Granted likes of the RAV4/CR-V does have more space which comes handy on long distance travel (but if you are doing that only occasionally you might want to reconsider it) 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, iRage said:

I've had several RAV4s and CR-Vs and had close friends who have X-Trails bith in SL, Japan and a few other countries....they all have on average the same fuel figures...5-7 kmpl depending on your driving style and usage pattern. The CR-V mind you was a bit better than the others. I am sure you will have plenty of "friends" and sellers saying that their CR-V, RAV4, X-trail does 9-10kmpl....its really hard to believe. The RAV4 which I used in Japan before bringing here and my friends' X-Trails did about 8-9 on a combined cycle (50% city 50% expressway like driving)...hard to imagine these cars would do as better in SL. 

If fuel consumption is a concern then you should not be looking at SUVs.  CR-Vs, X-Trails and RAV4s all fall within the same power bracket. 150ish HP from 2.0L engines (Xtrail 2.0L only had about 128HP though) and about 170HP from the 2.4-2.5L engines. Personally I find the 2.0L variants a bit underpowered (unless they are the very old versions and are light....the newer ones are heavier and the little engines do not handle too well...which is why Toyota scarpped the 2.0L engine from the A30 series RAV4).

Why do you specifically need a Cross-over/SUV though ? For your price range you will be able to get a much newer sedan, which would be more comfortable as well, potentially better on fuel (depending on the car) and easier to drive around in Colombo traffic. Granted likes of the RAV4/CR-V does have more space which comes handy on long distance travel (but if you are doing that only occasionally you might want to reconsider it) 

Thank you so much for your time... This is very helpful..Actually now m using a Honda fit shuttle which is both very comfortable and also fuel efficient.Since i've been using it for arround 3 years i thought of changing it for a Suv. Truth behind that is m traveling to upcountry  once a month and i felt that i need a vehicle with more ground clearence, power and also with some space.

Dont u think that a Suv would fulfil my needs??

13 minutes ago, Quiet said:

well if you just wanna travel 20Km and city limits i guess better option would be to go for a comfy newer car which has good fuel economy rather than spending time and money on repairs after buying a hacked SUV.

Got the point..Thanks...?? But the thing is I would like to drive a SUV since m little bit bored driving a hybrid..

All this time this topic was going on about xtrail rav4 and crv 

Yes they are not economical and from my experience about the petrol xtrail it would do around 5-6kmpl in colombo.

But the list starts with the Rexton Santafe sorento

These are diesels and do lot better on fuel The Rexton has more repairs than the latter 2.

From personal experience the Santafe diesel would do in excess of 10kmpl in colombo and around 15kmpl out station and it's cheap to maintain filters cost around  rs.2000 each which is very reasonable for a diesel.

So the Santafe and sorento are good choices to consider in this price range

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clark's son said:

All this time this topic was going on about xtrail rav4 and crv 

Yes they are not economical and from my experience about the petrol xtrail it would do around 5-6kmpl in colombo.

But the list starts with the Rexton Santafe sorento

These are diesels and do lot better on fuel The Rexton has more repairs than the latter 2.

From personal experience the Santafe diesel would do in excess of 10kmpl in colombo and around 15kmpl out station and it's cheap to maintain filters cost around  rs.2000 each which is very reasonable for a diesel.

So the Santafe and sorento are good choices to consider in this price range

Thanks..????

17 hours ago, Dishan@1 said:

Got the point..Thanks...?? But the thing is I would like to drive a SUV since m little bit bored driving a hybrid..

Well and suv wouldn't be any more fun than a hybrid car. You will be lugging around a lot of weight and that will punish you in the corners. If you really want to have fun get a car.  honestly if you don't do even a little bit of offroading an suv is a waste of money considering the fuel and maintenance costs. 

But if you are still hooked on suvs the Tucson, sportage and Sorento are not that bad. Ride quality is pretty good and standard equipment is good as well. Not to mention you can get a 2011 ish vehicle. The main downside i see is the interior quality, almost all of them have plastics that are discolored, faded and soft touch plastics have turned into gum balls with our sun. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Stig said:

Well and suv wouldn't be any more fun than a hybrid car. You will be lugging around a lot of weight and that will punish you in the corners. If you really want to have fun get a car.  honestly if you don't do even a little bit of offroading an suv is a waste of money considering the fuel and maintenance costs. 

But if you are still hooked on suvs the Tucson, sportage and Sorento are not that bad. Ride quality is pretty good and standard equipment is good as well. Not to mention you can get a 2011 ish vehicle. The main downside i see is the interior quality, almost all of them have plastics that are discolored, faded and soft touch plastics have turned into gum balls with our sun. 

Thanks....I gave up on suv's..decided to stick on to my FIT SHUTTLE..now looking for a small sports car around 2.5M..any ideas???

Buy a Honda Vezel

Good on fuel both city and out

Reasonable power

Good second market, hopefully

Any other SUV at your price will not have economy u expect

People usually do not buy SUVs to off road

They have commanding driving positions as you sit little upper, do not get intimidated by three wheeler, vans, busses

Getting in and out is easy due to high seats

Due to larger tires better comfort on poorly surfaced roads

high ground clearance will save the under carriage from speed bumps and curbs

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kush said:

Buy a Honda Vezel

Reasonable power

They have commanding driving positions as you sit little upper, do not get intimidated by three wheeler, vans, busses

Thanks Kush..

1 hour ago, kush said:

Buy a Honda Vezel

Reasonable power

The only practical reason I see to use an SUV in SL is the pathetic road conditions...even in the suburbs there are huge potholes that are eagerly looking forward to rough up your car....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kush said:

Buy a Honda Vezel

Reasonable power

Vezel is not an SUV. Its just car with high ground clearance. Pretty rough ride. but good options and moderate fuel consumption 13-14Km/L. At least thats the feed back on vehicle owned by me.

Edited by Quiet
  • Like 1

Dude..Most of the time fuel and power are two ends..more power will be less in fuel. But if you settle with a family sedan like grace, Allion, premio, lancer..there you have a decent power and fuel figures..

Since you prefer some ground clearance, vezel would be a good option..It has a more ground clearance, decent power and good on fuel as well. Can consider Subaru XV also..I don't know much on that..

Else if you consider more power over fuel and ground clearance, Consider bit more powerful cars like Subaru STi, Legacy or some old European  cars like BM, Merc, Audi 

Also rebuild Defenders too in your bucket..But should carefully inspect with professional if you choose one..

• Like 1