• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Wi-Fi Connection

PreseaLover

Hi Folks... what would be the best and the cheapest wifi connection available out there with the router price?

I used SLT and never in my f**kin life will I use SLT again.. heard that dialog wifi is also very slow... so I thought of going for a lower price but reliable wifi connection.. Spoke to one of my friends and the dude has got a BELL 4G Router and connection for 3k and the monthly charges with VAT is around 1.2k.. anyone have experience with BELL 4G? Location I want to have wifi is in Werahara. 

25GB in the afternoon and 15gb in the night hours would be enough for me..appreciate your advises. :)

using Bell 4G and its very reasonable and after a year they keep increasing quota too which is good

speed is fast .......most of the time ,BUT there are times when it becomes very very slow and couple of time before it stopped working for short periods

their call cnetre staff is average and some days they have no answer and say 'we will escalate to management' to escape the irate customer and nothing gets done

but having said that still compared to others Bell 4G is good for us and should be ok for you too (I assume)

Edited by carboy2011

I use SLT and have to say the experience hasn't been all that bad. The only issue I had recently was running out of the 30GB quota mid month. I'm not the most tech-inclined person but apparently someone was hacking into my router(?) The call center assisted me to set up the MAC address filter which solved the issue.

I did a bit of looking around during this time and based on what I found, Bell 4G seems to be offer the most GB/Rs but they seem to have some issues with coverage. So make sure your area is covered. Their call center staff apparently are terrible so pray you don't have anything go wrong.

Dialog 4G seems to be a good choice though not the cheapest. Their data meter is sketchy according to some users but not sure that's an actual fact or a 'user-error'.

Eventually, I decided to stick with SLT. What exactly happened to you with SLT to completely put you off?

• Like 1

I'm using SLT 4G for about a year now and quite pleased with the performance. The speeds are constantly around 30-40mbps and there have only been one downtime so far for the entire year. 

And I am a heavy user. I actually downloaded 200gb on the day they gave the data free :D

What experience made you feel so negative about SLT?

49 minutes ago, Hoonigan said:

Dialog 4G seems to be a good choice though not the cheapest. Their data meter is sketchy according to some users but not sure that's an actual fact or a 'user-error'.

Yes thats what many who use Dialog complain and the service provider too has not defended themselves against it either (to the best of my knowledge) so better stay off it

9 hours ago, carboy2011 said:

using Bell 4G and its very reasonable and after a year they keep increasing quota too which is good

speed is fast .......most of the time ,BUT there are times when it becomes very very slow and couple of time before it stopped working for short periods

their call cnetre staff is average and some days they have no answer and say 'we will escalate to management' to escape the irate customer and nothing gets done

but having said that still compared to others Bell 4G is good for us and should be ok for you too (I assume)

8 hours ago, carboy2011 said:

Yes thats what many who use Dialog complain and the service provider too has not defended themselves against it either (to the best of my knowledge) so better stay off it

9 hours ago, ramishkad said:

I'm using SLT 4G for about a year now and quite pleased with the performance. The speeds are constantly around 30-40mbps and there have only been one downtime so far for the entire year. 

And I am a heavy user. I actually downloaded 200gb on the day they gave the data free :D

What experience made you feel so negative about SLT?

well I have been having problems for all these years with SLT.. in my ex house, for the last 3 months havent been able to access a single web page, neither downloads because of its slowness.. i go to my ex house only in the last week of the month and therefore I on the wifi only when i go there.. and their excuse is that because its the last week of the month its slow.. however even in the middle of the months its the same.. so without even fully utilizing the bandwith limit, still its slow and therefore thought of going for a different service provider because they are not giving any solutions.. i called the bell 4g guy and he said they have coverage for werahera though.. 

Apart from SLTs catastrophic blunders due to dumbass frontline and administration staff, I would say FTTH is working good so far. Be prepared to suffer for months with billing and changeover issues, as their packages are designed to count as new sales for them, and you will be forced to change your existing numbers and PEOtv connections if any

The only technical downside being the wifi range of the Huawei router they give is not enough, I get barely 1 bar of signal in a room roughly about 25 feet from the router.

5 hours ago, rukmaldk said:

Apart from SLTs catastrophic blunders due to dumbass frontline and administration staff, I would say FTTH is working good so far. Be prepared to suffer for months with billing and changeover issues, as their packages are designed to count as new sales for them, and you will be forced to change your existing numbers and PEOtv connections if any

The only technical downside being the wifi range of the Huawei router they give is not enough, I get barely 1 bar of signal in a room roughly about 25 feet from the router.

LOL everytime I call them regarding an issue they always try to fix something in my router or make me reset my router :D 

• Like 2

On 25 February 2017 at 7:04 AM, rukmaldk said:

Correction, I was given a ZTE router and not a Huawei as I have said

On 2/24/2017 at 11:50 AM, Hoonigan said:

I use SLT and have to say the experience hasn't been all that bad. The only issue I had recently was running out of the 30GB quota mid month. I'm not the most tech-inclined person but apparently someone was hacking into my router(?) The call center assisted me to set up the MAC address filter which solved the issue.

I did a bit of looking around during this time and based on what I found, Bell 4G seems to be offer the most GB/Rs but they seem to have some issues with coverage. So make sure your area is covered. Their call center staff apparently are terrible so pray you don't have anything go wrong.

Eventually, I decided to stick with SLT. What exactly happened to you with SLT to completely put you off?

Hmmmm interesting, I also have been noticing huge drop in data remaining on my adsl when I check the usage on the usage meter.  Just to be sure I keept wifi turned off the entire Feb month and only used ethernet. Still the slt usage meter does not tally with my pcs usage meter. I sense something fishy is going on. 

22 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Hmmmm interesting, I also have been noticing huge drop in data remaining on my adsl when I check the usage on the usage meter.  Just to be sure I keept wifi turned off the entire Feb month and only used ethernet. Still the slt usage meter does not tally with my pcs usage meter. I sense something fishy is going on. 

Filtering MAC addresses sorted my issue out. What I wanted to highlight was the fact that they did quite a bit to help me resolve the issue. They even sent two techs to my place the very next day.

for almost 24 hrs the Bell 4G was down most of the time and at other times painfully slow

I called the cust service no they gave a ref no and promptly said 'an engineer will visit you' nothing was done and no follow up calls as promised,today the service is back to normal

Good when it works well

but really bad service from their call center

• 1 month later...

So I bought the Bell4G connection and used for a month.. so far nothing to complain..

However I wanna know if there any software or anything to track the On and OFF Peak data downloads... If i login to their site I can see the total downloaded amount in the statistics, but it doesnt segregate the amount i have downloaded for on peak and off peak hours.. so is there any way i can find it?

5 hours ago, ruwds said:

I think 'NetWorx' can help you in tracking peak / off peak usage.

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

EDIT: Looks like they've changed it from freeware to commercial. I use 5.4.2 and it is freeware

I tried networx but it doesnt show the accurate off peak volume.. even the off peak ones are added to the peak ones.. a few MB's are shown in the off peak whilst i downloaded around 10gb in the offpeak