• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Frequent air level dropping of tires

sltcdma

Question

I have a problem with left hand side of the tires of my car. Frequently the air level is dropping. First this was happend left-front wheel, when I checked the tire (alloy wheel) with U_H wheel at Malay Street. Tire shop guy told me there is a leak between the edges of the tire and rim. The alloy wheel was given some kind of repair by them and OK for about two weeks. However once again the problem is there. Rear-left alloy wheel also now have the same problem. When I checked for possible “patches” in the tires, they were ok.

Can anyone help me please.  Thanks.:rolleyes:

IMG_20170223_060437.jpg

IMG_20170223_060332.jpg

IMG_20170223_055754.jpg

17 answers to this question

Obviously there is a leak somewhere. 

From the photos, it looks like your rims are in pretty bad shape (not just the oxidisation, but it looks like you have some damage as well). My guess is that you have oxidisation build up in the edge of the rim. Assuming this is where the leak is, It needs to be cleaned up and a good sealer needs to be applied.

How old your tiers are? Check for manufactured year and month. No matter you used or not tires, but rubber starts to degrade after some time.

How old your tire valves are? Press the valves from your finger to different sides and make sure quality of rubber valve is ok.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

15 hours ago, Sampath Gunasekera said:

How old your tiers are? Check for manufactured year and month. No matter you used or not tires, but rubber starts to degrade after some time.

How old your tire valves are? Press the valves from your finger to different sides and make sure quality of rubber valve is ok.

I suspect the Valve in the 1st instance as Sampath mentioned!

By chance if that Alloy is bent, you could expect the same.

Once this happened to my iron rims.

Pls do let us know the rectifications.

Edited by gnaveendra
accidentally posted without text reply.

On 2/23/2017 at 9:35 AM, Davy said:

Obviously there is a leak somewhere. 

From the photos, it looks like your rims are in pretty bad shape (not just the oxidisation, but it looks like you have some damage as well). My guess is that you have oxidisation build up in the edge of the rim. Assuming this is where the leak is, It needs to be cleaned up and a good sealer needs to be applied.

Thanks Davy,

As you mentioned front-left rim was repaired due to bad edge. Can you recommend me a good place to oxidization cleaning and sealing the edges. Hope it will bring my rims shiny look.B)

On 2/23/2017 at 9:46 AM, The Stig said:

Define "frequent air level dropping". 

How many psi does it drop in one day? 

Thanks for your interest.

Not per day. once the air level is ok, it starts to dropping.

Edited by sltcdma

16 hours ago, Sampath Gunasekera said:

Thanks. Valves are ok, will try to find out manufacturing dates.

1 hour ago, gnaveendra said:

I suspect the Valve in the 1st instance as Sampath mentioned!

By chance if that Alloy is bent, you could expect the same.

Once this happened to my iron rims.

Pls do let us know the rectifications.

Thanks, rear-left one repaired for bent in rim. Will try to do the same for this & let you know the result.

1 hour ago, walkernet said:

This is what most of the people have mentioned in the threads. Have to check them out. Please let me know if there are any other services as such.

There's a small place called 'KBL Tech Welding' along the Rathmalana-Mirihana road in Pepiliyana near the Pepiliyana grounds. They did a decent job on one of my damaged alloy wheels 2.5 years ago and it's still well intact. You might wanna try that place if you are around colombo. There location is available in Google Maps.

Edited by LashNeo
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, LashNeo said:

There's a small place called 'KBL Tech Welding' along the Rathmalana-Mirihana road in Pepiliyana near the Pepiliyana grounds. They did a decent job on one of my damaged alloy wheels 2.5 years ago and it's still well intact. You might wanna try that place if you are around colombo. There location is available in Google Maps.

Was about to recommend this place. They did a proper job on an aluminum sump repair for me.

• Like 1