• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cigar lighter keeps blowing.

pontiac_gto

Question

Hi All,

Cigar lighter fuse of my car is keep blowing. I removed the front panel and removed the lighter from the socket. But still the fuse blows. Seems the circuit has a short somewhere. Other components are working fine without issues. Any reason for this? And are there any other components connected to the same fuse? 

Thanks and Regards

16 answers to this question

Usually accessories like your audio system, interior lights, 12V sockets (cigarette lighter) are all in the same circuit protected by the same fuse. Could be an issue in any one of them or a wire that has been crimped somewhere.

But the other components like radio, hood lights are working fine even without this 15A fuse. So I guess these things has a separate fuse. I must sort this out coz im using my phone as GPS. 

Is there a way to have separate 12V socket from somewhere else like from one of interior lights? 

5 minutes ago, pontiac_gto said:

But the other components like radio, hood lights are working fine even without this 15A fuse. So I guess these things has a separate fuse. I must sort this out coz im using my phone as GPS. 

Is there a way to have separate 12V socket from somewhere else like from one of interior lights? 

Have you tried replacing the fuse and not using your USB adaptor for the phone for a while? It maybe an issue with the USB adaptor as well, although highly unlikely. 

You're better off addressing the problem than thinking of avoiding it by pulling wires from other circuits. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pontiac_gto said:

Thanks Davy. I removed the front panel and removed the power cables from lighter socket.Which means nothing connected to the cables. But fuse keep blowing when suddenly ignition on. Radio, CD loader, lights working fine. 

Take your car to a good electrician. There is a short circuit somewhere.

Do you have a multimeter? 

Remove cigarette lighter.

Remove the battery cables of the car. Remove the fuse and set the multimeter leads to opposite sides of the fuse slot. If there is continuity (diode test mode or use ohm reading)  then there is a short. You can use 2aaa batteries and an led to do the same test if you don't have a multimeter. 

Thanks stig. I have ordered a multimeter but still on the way. Im living abroad so taking the car to a shop will be too expensive. Also probably dealer will be same. So i have to do this by myself. 

Is there anyway to get separate 12V socket? As Davy said before, this is not the correct way. But i'm planning to travel about 1000km end of March. So I need some way to charge my phone. Can I have a two wires (12V) from radio or one of lights? If so is it safe? 

Thanks

I can second what Davy said about not using the phone chargers on lighter socket. Same thing happened to me in my Axio hybrid with those phone chargers. I stopped using them and the fuse is fine now. I did not go into details but I believe it has something to do with a mismatch in the design of the socket and the plug. If you want to tap you can tap into the wires of the same socket to get power.

the

2 hours ago, pontiac_gto said:

Thanks stig. I have ordered a multimeter but still on the way. Im living abroad so taking the car to a shop will be too expensive. Also probably dealer will be same. So i have to do this by myself. 

Is there anyway to get separate 12V socket? As Davy said before, this is not the correct way. But i'm planning to travel about 1000km end of March. So I need some way to charge my phone. Can I have a two wires (12V) from radio or one of lights? If so is it safe? 

Thanks

You can but be warned that you may damage your radio if something goes wrong. 

Take the red wire form the radio and the other wire you can ground to any metal surface. Use a fuse for the hot wiring just in case. 

My opinion is that you should then tap into one of the fuses in the interior fuse box and get power from there for now. Make sure the fuse you're tapping into is one that gets power only when the ignition is switched on. This way your equipment is protected. 

Thanks for your safety concerns Stig and Davy. But i don't have better electrical knowledge. So I'm afraid to play with the fuse box. And I noticed removing radio also a quiet big deal in this model. 

Let me know one thing. There is a light near the cigar lighter. Can I get 12V power from there? For safety i can run the voltage through 12V fuse. What you guys think? 

Edited by pontiac_gto

2 hours ago, pontiac_gto said:

Thanks for your safety concerns Stig and Davy. But i don't have better electrical knowledge. So I'm afraid to play with the fuse box. And I noticed removing radio also a quiet big deal in this model. 

Let me know one thing. There is a light near the cigar lighter. Can I get 12V power from there? For safety i can run the voltage through 12V fuse. What you guys think? 

Then in your case the safest method is to tap on to the cigar lighter power feed as I said before. Those dashboard lights may come through other controls (for brightness) and contacts which might not have the capacity to handle an additional power demand. If you are paranoid about the cigar lighter fuse blowing, keep a couple of spare fuses with you. What is the car model we are talking about here BTW?

1 hour ago, Rumesh88 said:

Then in your case the safest method is to tap on to the cigar lighter power feed as I said before. Those dashboard lights may come through other controls (for brightness) and contacts which might not have the capacity to handle an additional power demand. If you are paranoid about the cigar lighter fuse blowing, keep a couple of spare fuses with you. What is the car model we are talking about here BTW?

Thanks Rumesh. As I said before I removed the lighter part from the socket. Now nothing connected to cigar power cables. But still fuse blowing suddenly ignition on. And I put another fuse. Again same result when ignition on. Btw the car is 2005 RX8. 

Edited by pontiac_gto