• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sudden burn smell from AC vents and head lights went off

rassa

Hi Members,

Glad to put my first individual post here in the site even though I have been referring the forum since few years.

I have a Honda fit area 2008 GD8 version and clocked 85K in ODO. Car is in very good condition and so far had no issues. But yesterday when i was driving back to my home from office which was 30kms drive and suddenly experienced a smell like plastic burning from A/C vents at midway. It went off when switched off AC. Again started to smell after switched on. I drove another few kms under this condition and stopped to investigate any observations. There were no any smell or burning mark anywhere in dashboard, engine bay or tyres. But after i started the car again, Dim lights ware not working but parking, signal and head lights were ok. Also the head-dim switch was not working as normal (the click sound was not there when switching between head-dim). After few mins of driving head light also went off till i reached home. Today morning i checked again and all working again except dim lights and the switching mechanism.

What could be the problem? Failure of fuse or defected switch?

Thanks

Known issue on this model. There was a recall too.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2010/12/recall-2007-2008-honda-fit-headlight-problem/index.htm

EDIT:

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: 10V-624
MFR CAMPAIGN ID: R58
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: 07-08 FIT HEADLIGHT SWITCH
RECALL DATE: 12/15/2010
RECALL STATUS: 17 Character VIN Required
SUMMARY:

HONDA IS RECALLING MODEL YEAR 2007-2008 HONDA FIT VEHICLES. DUE TO AN ERROR DURING INSTALLATION OF THE WIRING HARNESS FOR THE COMBINATION SWITCH THAT CONTROLS LOW HEAD BEAM FUNCTION, THE WIRES FOR THE LOWER BEAM CIRCUIT WERE PULLED TIGHTER THAN INTENDED. AFTER REPEATED USE OF THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH, THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR TERMINAL FOR THE LOW BEAM HEADLIGHT CIRCUIT CAN BECOME WORN AS A RESULT OF THIS TENSION, WHICH CAN RESULT IN LOW CONDUCTIVITY AND CAUSE AN ACCUMULATION OF COPPER OXIDE IN THE AREA OF THE CONTACTS.

SAFETY RISK:

THE LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS CAN BECOME INOPERATIVE DECREASING THE DRIVER'S VISIBILITY AS WELL AS THE VEHICLE'S VISIBILITY TO OTHER DRIVERS, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

REMEDY:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE LOW BEAM TERMINAL AND PERFORM NECESSARY REPAIRS FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 24, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

Source: http://recalls.owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls?id=

Edited by Davy
Added recall information
  • Like 1

My dad checked the car with a technician and dissembled the steering wheel. Found that there was a short circuit and switch has been burned. It seemed not possible for a rebuild.

Checked few shops near by and Panchi for used part over the phone and they quoted 10,000-13,000 for a replacement. Can anyone suggest a place for a cheaper price if possible. However have to fix this by coming weekend.

Edited by rassa
To add extra details

On 2/22/2017 at 0:38 PM, rassa said:

My dad checked the car with a technician and dissembled the steering wheel. Found that there was a short circuit and switch has been burned. It seemed not possible for a rebuild.

Checked few shops near by and Panchi for used part over the phone and they quoted 10,000-13,000 for a replacement. Can anyone suggest a place for a cheaper price if possible. However have to fix this by coming weekend.

Hi Machan..

I have a City GD8 2004 model, i had an issue with the highbeam as well, and same as you root cause was switch has burnt really bad. 

However before replacing the switch make sure that you have used correct voltage bulbs (may be previous owner have increased it from 55-60 to 100). This is the main cause for such issue. If that's the case, either u can replace once with correct voltage / make sure to use relays.

After that you can buy a switch. I found mine from Panchikawatta like almost 3 years ago or something around 7500 LKR. However the seller didnt wanted to sell just the switch as it came with whole steering column and it costed around 25-30k... But after having lengthy conversation he agreed to give it. but it took me like 5-6 hours to find a good one (as mine is like almost brandnew condition).

I really cant remember the exact shop, but if you walk abit and ask from shops (stay away from kaakko) they will guide you to some resourceful places..

Im pretty sure tec motors must be having em, but should be within the limit of what u quoted..

I will update you on the shop if i get to find the receipt .. not quite sure where i kept it exactly..

However just give a call to Thilak on 0776330336 and see whether he has any (im not 100% sure about this no) but i have saved, and should be related to some seller who i bought switches for some reason :D) just give it a try and try ur luck..

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi PerfMad, 

Thanks for your kind support l. We checked with tec motors but they were out of stock. Then found a brandnew part from Stafford at Maradana. Cost 9,500.   

Car has been using for 2 years up to now and didn't change bulb yet. This is driven around 300km per week as well as during night times. Since then there were no issues but only replaced the battery few months back with same amp as old one. 

However will going to fix the new switch today and same time check about bulb voltages. I will keep you guys updated.

Regards

On 2/25/2017 at 2:20 PM, rassa said:

Hi PerfMad, 

Thanks for your kind support l. We checked with tec motors but they were out of stock. Then found a brandnew part from Stafford at Maradana. Cost 9,500.   

Car has been using for 2 years up to now and didn't change bulb yet. This is driven around 300km per week as well as during night times. Since then there were no issues but only replaced the battery few months back with same amp as old one. 

However will going to fix the new switch today and same time check about bulb voltages. I will keep you guys updated.

Regards

You are welcome and thanks for updating the thread with location and prices :)