• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fit GP1 Oil Level Drops

vitz

Question

Experts

We got a GP1 (2012), 83000km clocked

- I noticed a drastic drop of engine oil level, I need to top up engine oil once to twice during the service interval. What is the problem?

I wanted to do a tuneup and replacement of plugs done from the Stafford assuming the problem would be solved. Since there are no service reservations available till 22nd Feb, I was compelled to take the vehicle to one of their dealer in Kurunegala. Before visiting the place today,  I got a confirmation on the availability of spark plugs with them, but after cleaning injectors and throttle body, they said that spark plugs are not available (typical irresponsible feed back from SL response) . We cleaned all 8 plugs and put them back.  Anyways, it allowed me to take a pic of the present status of the spark plugs (see below). One of the mechanic was saying that deposits on the plug could be due to sludge formation and this can be solved by cleaning the piston areas and changing piston rings. He was saying oil level drop is resulted by the sludge formation. I am not much sure about what he says?.

Inline image

We bought this car unregistered in 2013 (15000km clocked) and serviced timely. It is a daily long distance runner (160 km). Hard to believe a sludge formation. 

For first services in during first one and half years we had to use 10w-30 oil since 0W-20 was not available. Then we reverted to 0w-20, could this be a reason?. Do you think shifting to 10W-30 would solve the problem?

Edited by vitz

On 4/2/2018 at 10:55 PM, hondaclub said:

I am another victim of this issue, these were the symptoms;

• Oil level started to drop
  • A/c gradually reduced during running
  • tappet nice when slowing down to 20kmp/h
  • high vibration during cold startup
  • oil spill around spark plug rings.
  • engine warning
  • scanner show misfire on the first cylinder

I went through extensive research and spoke to stafford and as usual no help since i did not buy the car from the company. but they actually know the issue and the initial suggestion was to do the piston ring clean up (cost is around 60k) and they are still not sure if thats the right option as the supervisor says it works for some car and doesn't work for some and for those they recommend to change the rings and piston (cost is around 180k) since the new rings wont fit the existing piston. went back to my usual garage (he has been maintaining all my cars for the last 10 years) and he is aware of the issue and some cars they have done the injector clean up and gone as it was enough for them. I decided to do the big repair by changing the piston and rings as i never wanted to take a chance by cleaning up. Got 4 pistons and the ring sets from Tech Motors (who bring down honda genuine parts but you should go with someone who knows to validate just to make sure you are not given A grade Thailand manufactures). the entire kit including gasket cost me 81k with a discount since my garage guy knows them well. its a three day process (quite complicated than we think since you have to remove) as you need to remove the head uni and do the clean up and then fix the piston rings to the new piston and attach to the existing rod. My mechanic suggested to do the machine push for connecting the rod to piston as it is will give the perfect finishing, you have to take the old piston and the new one (without rings) to D*MO lanka at bluemendal road and they will use the machine and press the new piston to the existing rode which was a perfect job and the cost for that is Rs. 2400. So after three days i got the car back with new piston installed and suggested to use 0w20 oil since the piston is still new and it should have more silkness. The mechanic charged me 40k for the entire work including oil and the total cost was (81+2400+37=120400). engine is very smooth now and a/c is much better and i could feel no vibration when reaching beyond 2000 RPM. I will keep updating and if you guys have plans to fix the issue i would suggest to do it once without taking chances as Stafford is not always sure about their recommendations. below is the picture of existing piston.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

@hondaclub How many kilometres have you done so far following the cylinder replacement? Does the oil level remain in tact between services now?

well I had a GP1 and sold it two weeks ago the oil buning issue came 54K but as agents advice i did a ring clean up costed 60K from staffords but two years after that the oil burn up came again spoke to the agents they said that some times it comes again.

So sold the car that had 8 plugs with great acceleration. and bought two kie cars alto and a wagon r - end of the japanese car reliability.

9 hours ago, noddy said:

well I had a GP1 and sold it two weeks ago the oil buning issue came 54K but as agents advice i did a ring clean up costed 60K from staffords but two years after that the oil burn up came again spoke to the agents they said that some times it comes again.

So sold the car that had 8 plugs with great acceleration. and bought two kie cars alto and a wagon r - end of the japanese car reliability.

Indeed, it comes back. For mine also 80,000km after cleaning rings it has come back again. Actually, when I did the repair the actual cause was not found (I am the one who started this thread), if so I would have opted for piston replacement. 

I think, after piston replacement it will not come. I am thinking of doing the major repair and either use it or sell. 

Edited by vitz

On 12/22/2018 at 10:32 AM, PR_CAR said:

Hi All,

I owned Honda Fit Gp1(Manufacture year - 2013). Now My ODO meter reading - 78000km. My driving pattern is short distance (40 km daily) and some long distance trips regularly (Kandy-Colomb-Kandy).

I also got similar problem that @G_Man faced. when my ODO meter clocked to 63000k I got engine check light with VSA Warning and had to transport vehicle in tor truck to local garage ( because there was no agents near that area ). after inspection they said that there is a misfire in three pistons.  after they suggest to to engine tuneup and replace all 8 spark plugs. ( because I carry vehicle there was no other problems ) then I did as they suggest. 

But engine oil burning issue did not resolved. last week I got same problem and at that time ODO Meter reading was 78100km. this time I carry vehicle to Stafford Ratthanapitiya. and spark plug looks like this.

They said that this is a common problem that GP1 has and need to replace pistons set and do engine overhaul to resolve issue. cost said to be around 180k.  @G_Man after repair can you give me your status about vehicle please and it will be really helpful for me.. :)

1. What is the best solution for this and how about Stafford in Raththanapitiya.. ? is there someone specialized about this problem.. ? 

2. Is this solution is permanent. ( If anyone did that repair have you faced same problem again..? )

3. What about cost ( 180k ) is this the actual price.?

4. Is it worth to do this repair and keep GP1. will it face same problem or related engine problem again. because I can not afford more repairs like this.

any information related this is very helpful..  

It has been 20000km so far since I have done the full repair which is suggested as the permanent fix. Rings clean up temporary only and it will get clotted again dude to the size is the hole been made different. I suggest to be generous and do the full repair and then sell it. Otherwise the buyer will have to go through the same nightmare   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hondaclub said:

It has been 20000km so far since I have done the full repair which is suggested as the permanent fix. Rings clean up temporary only and it will get clotted again dude to the size is the hole been made different. I suggest to be generous and do the full repair and then sell it. Otherwise the buyer will have to go through the same nightmare   

Knowing the Cleaning of rings is a temporary fix, I am really wondering why the company suggest the cleaning option!!!

5 hours ago, vitz said:

Knowing the Cleaning of rings is a temporary fix, I am really wondering why the company suggest the cleaning option!!!

It’s up to you if you want to rely on the company. Many of us know what stafford does in srilanka. Personally I have had my go. 

11 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Service charge x times cleaned > Service charge x permanent fix

Customer point of view

(Damage to engine, plugs,oppertunity cost) x times of cleaned>service charge x permanent fix

How many customers are knowledgeable to take a decision considering above....

Indeed we know the level of customer care in SL :)

Out of the thread, I got a Panasonic FZ-G1 purchased in Sri Lanka from the agent (SxxxLxxx). Suddenly, it gave a pop up message that machine is in the recall list and immediate replacement of battery is required, of course free of charge. So, contacted the sales guy three time no reply.

Just couple of weeks ago I had to travel to Canada. Just one email to Panasonic, within one week "the replacement battery arrived at my apartment"

Edited by vitz

On 3/10/2019 at 9:34 AM, hondaclub said:

After some research and finally I also did permanent fix and up to now I ran 4000km. I checked oil level like every 500km and oil level remaining same.. :) At first I thought  to sell this but felt guilty like @hondaclub said and I like this car. so I fixed it and I hope that fix will last at least 100000 km.. :) please share current status of car @hondaclub and anyone did permanent fix. In my experience I also suggest to do permanent fix 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hondaclub said:

Glad to hear that PR_CAR. It has been approx 20000 since I have done the major repair. All good so far and during last service did a scan from stafford and looks perfectly healthy. Big time Honda fan ?

Happy to hear the fix is sort of common now and people get it done. There has been a bit of bad rep for the car of late hope it get's the true recognition for being a very rugged and exciting little car - probably the last model  to retain the genes from the original fit of the early 2000's . 

with the issue fixed - it's a wonderful car very nippy and perfect for our traffic and narrow roads : I sometimes miss [i sold mine last year] the fits nimbleness specially when driving in narrow roads in rush hours. It was my wife's favorite and she still complains she misses it's city driving dynamics. 

Edited by matroska

On 3/15/2019 at 5:42 AM, PR_CAR said:

After some research and finally I also did permanent fix and up to now I ran 4000km. I checked oil level like every 500km and oil level remaining same.. :) At first I thought  to sell this but felt guilty like @hondaclub said and I like this car. so I fixed it and I hope that fix will last at least 100000 km.. :) please share current status of car @hondaclub and anyone did permanent fix. In my experience I also suggest to do permanent fix 

From where you got this done?