• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Noise from rear when breaking

firstgear

Question

Car: Viva Elite Ezi

Problem: When I apply brakes from speed around 50kmph I get a noise from the rear. The noise starts like 'taka taka taka..... takkk.. takkk.. tak..'. It's exactly like putting some plastic item inside an empty mega bottle and shaking it well and then gradually reducing the speed of shaking. That's the closest sound I can describe it. But when I deep press the break or intermittently press the brake the noise does not come much. While driving I cannot exactly locate from where the noise comes, but it seems to me from the boot of the car. And there is nothing in the boot except the tools and the jack both of which are positioned unable to move.

What I did: I went to UniMo Hyde park yesterday and they changed the brake washer plus brake oil (Rs.4750). But the noise has not changed much since.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

After test drive with unimo workers. They suggested to rephase the drums (and the front disc). Since HydePark branch doesn't have phasing tools they give me the options of either taking the components tonOrugodawatte branch on Monday or taking it to "Nihal and Laal". I opted for the latter option as I needed to sort this out today it self otherwise I might need to put another leave on Monday (in addition to the two leaves I have spent in sorting this out).

During the phasing process, after completing 3 out of 4, the last one (drum) blasted and broken.  

They said there should have been a crack and that could be the reason for the noise. 

I returned to Unimo with the broken component only to find out that they don't have a drum in stock in Colombo.  The only one available had to be couriered from Anuradhapura branch on Tuesday.

They also gave me the option to finding it from outside. But it was not available in Panchikawatte also.  

Hoping to go to Delkanda on Monday. 

Edited by firstgear

7 hours ago, firstgear said:

After test drive with unimo workers. They suggested to rephase the drums (and the front disc). Since HydePark branch doesn't have phasing tools they give me the options of either taking the components tonOrugodawatte branch on Monday or taking it to "Nihal and Laal". I opted for the latter option as I needed to sort this out today it self otherwise I might need to put another leave on Monday (in addition to the two leaves I have spent in sorting this out).

During the phasing process, after completing 3 out of 4, the last one (drum) blasted and broken.  

They said there should have been a crack and that could be the reason for the noise. 

I returned to Unimo with the broken component only to find out that they don't have a drum in stock in Colombo.  The only one available had to be couriered from Anuradhapura branch on Tuesday.

They also gave me the option to finding it from outside. But it was not available in Panchikawatte also.  

Hoping to go to Delkanda on Monday. 

Sorry to hear that. There's a good chance the drum shattered due to a very small crack that gave way as the resurfacing bit was cutting into the drum. This explains your noise as well although a crack in the drum is felt through the brake pedal more than it is heard. 

Anyway, you should search the Viva Elite Community thread as well. There are specific shops that bring down Perodua spares that you can try. 

I replaced the drum from Panchikawatte. It was 700g heavier than the OEM. I anyway went ahead with it as I had no other option.

The noise disappeared after this. But after few days, the noise started to come from the other side :(:(:(.

I recorded the noise from my phone:

The problem now, is that neither the company nor the place I bought the first have has another drum :(:(:( 

Edited by firstgear