• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Swap - Volvo S40 Turbo Diesel YOM-2000 (Project Volley - Volley the Naughty Forty)

Engine Swap -  Volvo S40 Turbo Diesel  YOM-2000  (Project Volley  - Volley the Naughty Forty)

Previous discussion though below link.

1.JPG

My sleeping beauty is about to wake up.

After waiting for months and months, this is the right time to start the Project Volley.

Volley kept silence for about 2 – 3 years at the rear end of the garage. After many ideas, plans, decided to import a used engine with gear box from U.K.  My heartiest thanks to Moderator ‘The Don’ whom did spend many hours for seeking a suitable low mileage engine for months and months and helping me form the beginning. Finally engine reached here safely and ready to swap.

Something about Volley:

Volvo S40 , 1.9 Turbo Diesel

5 Speed Manual Transmission

Manufacturing year:  Late 2000 (Imported through agents)

This is belong to ‘first generation’ of S40 and ‘Phase II’

Engine Model: D4192T3

2.JPG

3.JPG

Some bells and whistles included;

4.jpg

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

Donor Engine

13.jpg

(T3 engine - before ship to Sri Lanka)

Donor engine is obtained from a V40 (Wagon) car. Engine codes and everything double checked to make assure that we get the same engine model.  (There are four engine models used in Volvo S40 Diesels. T,T2,T3 & T4 and our one hold T3 engine)

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/TB17.pdf

We bought T3 engine, gear box, Turbo Unit, AC Compressor, Power Steering Pump, Injector Pump, Injectors, Engine Cover and wiper arms from same car.( It was advertised that if byer requsted,  seller can start and show the working engine before breaking the car.)

This engine was the one we could find with lowest mileage done; 65K miles. Other all engines were done much higher than that.

The Don was so kind to visit and see the engine before ship it.

Engine received safely and next step was seeking a competent mechanic.

I had two options. First gentleman was much negative on diesel engines.  Second option I found was Volmec (Pvt) Ltd at Malambe. Asanga of Volmec was very positive from the beginning and he was already experienced with S40 diesel versions. Selected and decided to go ahead with Volmec.

double post
  • Like 1

Car was stationery for few years .  Washed her , pumped air to all four tires and  car was delivered to Volmec by a car carrier.

5.jpg

Expected Job List

(1)    Removal of old engine , clean the engine bay

(2)    Check/clean all electrical components/systems

(3)    Clean and pressurize & test the injectors

(4)     Edited:Timing belt WILL BE REPLACED. (Before Edit: Old engine had a very new timing belt and it will fix to donor engine)

(5)    Radiator and water lines to be cleaned

(6)    Replace all necessary rubber hoses/components

(7)    Replace some oil seals

(8)    Install the donor engine

(9)    Replace all fluids

(10) Check brake system

(11) Check suspension system and if need replace required parts

(12) A/C work

(13) Car body -  cut and polish job

(14) Interior cleaning and leather treatment

(15) Registration at RMV

Guys, please advise me if anything I have missed here.

• Like 2

Good stuff Sampath! Glad to see her get a new lease of life with the right parts. More happy that you didn't go down the path of using an engine from a Japanese car.

Since you have invested in an original engine for the car with the greatest difficulty, why not use a new timing belt as kush has said above? At least get it thoroughly checked before installation. I personally would get it replaced for peace of mind. The pulleys on the old engine would have caused the belt to wear out in a certain way, so the belt might not sit perfectly on the pulleys. Highly unlikely, but just pointing it out the possibility. 

Also, this once again shows how amazing our community is. We have great members on the forum who would go the extra mile for others. I myself now personally know many members on the forum because we have helped each other out in good and difficult times. Kudos @The Don. Wish you were more active here.

Good luck with the project Sampath! Keep this thread posted.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kush said:

I would not take a chance with the old timing belt considering the car was idle for few years

3 hours ago, Davy said:

Good stuff Sampath! Glad to see her get a new lease of life with the right parts. More happy that you didn't go down the path of using an engine from a Japanese car.

Since you have invested in an original engine for the car with the greatest difficulty, why not use a new timing belt as kush has said above? At least get it thoroughly checked before installation. I personally would get it replaced for peace of mind. The pulleys on the old engine would have caused the belt to wear out in a certain way, so the belt might not sit perfectly on the pulleys. Highly unlikely, but just pointing it out the possibility. 

Also, this once again shows how amazing our community is. We have great members on the forum who would go the extra mile for others. I myself now personally know many members on the forum because we have helped each other out in good and difficult times. Kudos @The Don. Wish you were more active here.

Good luck with the project Sampath! Keep this thread posted.

Many thanks for Davy and Kush for your replies. Well noted your point and decided to replace the timing belt with a new one. Asanga also instructed me the same.

Yes, Davy you are right. I met very good gentlemen here & we could help each other. While we were searching for an engine for months , The Don also upgraded to "Married" status;). Just after he returned back to UK from the wedding ceremony, he re-started searching for an engine. @The Don is my external supervisor of the project whom keep eye on daily progress through Viber :D . @The Don Thank you very much my friend. .  

Asanga (Volmec) wish to complete engine installation within a week. I am not in a position to visit the car daily, but Asanga click all important steps and pass me the photos. I will keep the thread updated.

Sampath you are most welcome, and it's my pleasure. After all as car guys I think it's always a great to see cars get revived and live! I'm waiting eagerly for it to start as until it does never sure of the state of an old engine. Diesels do a lot of miles so really hard to find an engine under 100k miles. 

The Renault F9k engine used here is very common and used in a lot of vehicles, not just Renault. But as it's got an aluminium block it's sensitive to the sulphur content in Diesel which is probably what has messed the original engines up. Hopefully the Euro III low sulphur Diesel we have here might allow the latest installation to live a bit longer. 

• MADZ changed the title to Engine Swap - Volvo S40 Turbo Diesel YOM-2000 (Project Volley - Volley the Naughty Forty)

Donor engine installed and connecting of wire harness and other components are processing.

Waiting photos from  Asanga.

Mean while I have some idea for a cosmetic modification with the grill.

I always love the grill model offered in 2003-2004 over grill had with 2000 model. As per google searching, both should be in same dimension however need to check physically.  2003/2004 model is rather rare to find a specimen here.  58942b515adda_Grillchange.jpg.33e33bf10c4f6f17d4a6a03dfafec4ce.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now car runs very smoothly and pulling power got back.

Project Cost:

Total project cost was around Rs.300,000/= for purchasing the engine + gearbox , shipping , clearing, engine transportation, vehicle transportation, installation donor engine and bring the car up to final stage including all costs.

Cost of the work done at Volmec: (Hope this is not violate any forum rules)

1. Engine replacement    LKR 18,500.00  

2. Injectors cleaning and pressurizing x 4    LKR 11,200.00  

3. Injector pump testing and service   LKR   8,750.00  

4. Re-making of wiring harness    LKR   2,350.00  

5. Oil seal pack x 4    LKR  12,150.00  

6. Timing belt     LKR    8,300.00  

7. CV boot     LKR    1,440.00  

8. Mobil diesel oil     LKR    5,600.00  

9. Radiator cleaning and pressure test  LKR    2,150.00  

10. Diesel tank cleaning    LKR    2,500.00  

11. Drive belt     LKR    8,500.00  

12. Engine service and cleaning    LKR    2,500.00  

13. Oil filter      LKR    1,500.00  

14. Power steering oil    LKR       850.00  

15. Gear box oil 90W    LKR    1,500.00  

16. Diesel refill     LKR    1,000.00  

17. A/C refill and service    LKR    5,500.00  

18. Brake oil flush and refill    LKR    3,500.00  

19. Interior cleaning     LKR    8,000.00

TOTAL       LKR 105,790.00

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to express my heartiest thank to following gentlemen.

(1)    Our Moderator Supra Natural & member Crosswind for pushing me to replace a Volvo engine instead of Japanese engine and suggesting me to import used Volvo engine from UK.:)

(2)    Our Moderator The Don for finding the correct engine , arranging shipment and guiding me with all instructions.:appl: 

(3) Member Maersk for giving me hint about Volmec.

(4)    Asanga of Volmec for doing a neat and great job within a short period. Asanga also a Volvo enthusiast from his childhood and he own a Volvo S60. When the technician himself is a car lover, project flows very smoothly with caring nature.:action-smiley-033:

(5)    All other Autolanka members whom extended me all valuable ideas, instructions and kind support thorough out the project.:)

Volley is handed over to the original owner; my uncle and he is very happy with his pride ride back.

It’s a Volvo

58a1fca824371_12.Volvo_Volmec(1).JPG.8da63728198500f5f6a3daa155686236.JPG

Cheers!!!

Sampath Gunasekera

• Like 4

To be honest, 300,000 for an engine replacement job is a steal (labour charges are very reasonable too). You can't replace the engine of a Japanese diesel car at this cost. A 3C engine alone would cost more than 300k. Labour and all the subsequent problems associated with a Japanese conversion would have set you back by at least 500k so I'm glad we helped make the right decision.

I'm thinking of taking my Focus to Volmec if I need to get any work done. Ford Focus and Volvo s40 share the same internals (apparently about 60% of the components are shared between the two) so Asanga might be a good option. How busy is the guy?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Crosswind said:

To be honest, 300,000 for an engine replacement job is a steal (labour charges are very reasonable too). You can't replace the engine of a Japanese diesel car at this cost. A 3C engine alone would cost more than 300k. Labour and all the subsequent problems associated with a Japanese conversion would have set you back by at least 500k so I'm glad we helped make the right decision.

I'm thinking of taking my Focus to Volmec if I need to get any work done. Ford Focus and Volvo s40 share the same internals (apparently about 60% of the components are shared between the two) so Asanga might be a good option. How busy is the guy?

Many thanks for your comments. Even I never thought we could complete the job within this limit.

I came to know about Asanga when I searched based on   Maersk's hint. Before the project I visited Volmec and checked their capability of  doing the project. I saw that he was working with few S60s and S80s at that time. According to Asanga, he studied motor mechanic in Singapore and started Volmec after he returned back. I had another option, very famous Volvo mechanic which worked in Swedish also now runs his own workshop. But that gentlemen was very negative on diesel variant when I speak him everytime . Asanga was so positive from the beginning and he already engaged with few diesel units earlier. So I went with Asanga and he completed the job within 2 weeks. (Actually we had to wait for some parts after ordering) . So you visit them and have a look.

• 1 month later...

hope its running well. By the way what kind of insurance does your uncle recommend for this car? Full or third-party, Full seems to be a reasonable choice considering the less availability of body parts,but considering the age it doesn't make much sense?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not responding earlier @Sampath Gunasekera missed out somehow. Congrats on the conclusion of a successful project and so glad that the car is sorted and back on the road! Thanks for giving us the highly detailed thread also which I'm sure will be helpful for anyone who may want to rebuilt an S40 at some point in the future.

Cheers!