• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Learner drivers @ car wash garages

Imrana

5 hours ago, Croozer said:

Thanks Magnum - I really wanna get used to the habit of washing the ride more frequently just like you :) cheers!

It's a good habit to keep your vehicle's in, out and under clean.

Most people do not wash the under carriage properly 

2 hours ago, Magnum said:

It's a good habit to keep your vehicle's in, out and under clean.

Most people do not wash the under carriage properly 

Well....you should wash it regularly...but you need to be sensible about it. For starters you need to use proper stuff to wash it with and then dry it with. Secondly even with the right stuff excessive washing will damage waxes, glass coatings, etc....so you need to have a proper regime rather than just blindly washing every time you see a spec of mud on the car.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Well....you should wash it regularly...but you need to be sensible about it. For starters you need to use proper stuff to wash it with and then dry it with. Secondly even with the right stuff excessive washing will damage waxes, glass coatings, etc....so you need to have a proper regime rather than just blindly washing every time you see a spec of mud on the car.

I do wax my van as well.

On the topic of mud. Excessive mud can cause rust especially on moving parts which are found under the vehicle. If you drive around in Sri Lanka it's pretty easy get your vehicle's under carriage covered in mud during rainy days.

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2018 at 5:37 AM, Davy said:

I personally think the two bucket method is okay if you don't have access to a garden hose. On the other hand, you save a lot of water when using the two bucket method as opposed to using a hose. The important thing is to keep the wash towels free of dirt every time it touches the surface of the car.

As for your question about letting the car dry on it's own, you might end up with water spots all over the car - especially on the windows. In a country like Sri Lanka where it's hot, humid and a bit dusty, you're better off using a clean microfibre towel to wipe the car dry. Water spots - see image below:

I have a garden hose connected to a pressure washer and still use the two bucket method so the microfiber towel is free of dirt when I wash the car with it. 

1 : Pressure wash the body

2 : Get the soap mixture (no grit guard), soak the wash towel, clean panel-by-panel from top to bottom (to ensure there are no swirl marks make sure to not to rub the wash towel in a circular motion, just a wipe in a straight line will do)

3. Depending on how dirty the car was, clean the wash towel using the second bucket with water and a grit guard (rub the wash towel against the grit guard) for every 2-3 panels