• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Swift(2007/2008) vs Mazda Demio(2008/2009) and steering rack issues

ravindasenarath

Question

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy one of these cars and appreciate any comments on fuel figures and maintenance cost of two cars( I did search and read most of related posts ). According to my research these and concerns/facts I have found. Still I would appreciate everyones feedback.

• Demio should do better on fuel than Swift ( Swift 10kmpl in town I read , Demio not sure 12kmpl? )
  • Demio parts are expensive than swift. - Buying car around 2008 what would be replacements I should expect to? ( Socks/ Shock mounts ). Eg. Had a Mazda familia BJ5P for 2 years. It costs around 35 to replace engine mounts ( Left one original and others Malaysian ) still I'm not sure whether it is expensive or not compared to a similar are of other brand.  
  • Steering rack issues. - I read in different places both cars have known issue with steering rack issues. I called to Mazna motors and they also said rack failure is common with Demio and will take around 100k to replace genuine or can do some what less expensive fixes as well. There is where I got shocked and started to doubt on Demio. 1 Lak for rack :(.  Is same figure goes for Swift rack issue fix?

Thank you

6 answers to this question

From the perspective of a Demio owner:

1. If you did a search, you would have found the fuel economy of the Demio. It depends on your driving style so I'd say 10 km/l in the city average. The CVT version is slightly more economical. 

2. The stuff that needs to be replaced on a car isn't really related to the year of manufacture. It depends on how the car was used (personal or commercial), how many kilometres on the ODO and importantly, the maintenance history. I'm not exactly sure how prices of spares of the two makes compare, but like the Swift, the Demio is a reliable car from personal experience. It has been nearly 3 years since the Demio in my family was purchased and we've done all the services on time + replaced a set of tyres and attended to a suspension repair once. The car has been doing about 40km a day for the past year or so. 

3. I think all these rack issues depends on where and how the car was driven. Frequent drives on rough roads would cause the steering linkages to fail. I don't think the rack would need replacement if you attend to the suspension issues and get the steering links replaced before it gets worse and the rack is eventually affected. Our Demio was recently subject to a suspension repair and they could repair the rack without replacing it because it wasn't too far gone. I'm not surprised that a genuine rack costs that much, and if you call AM\/\/ and ask about the price of a Swift rack, I doubt the price will be drastically lower. If such a situation arises, you can even buy a reconditioned one for much less. Plus, you shouldn't be worried about replacing the rack of a car you haven't even purchased yet!

The Demio thread in case you missed it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ravindasenarath said:

Thanks @Davy. I was in the same mentality until I call mazna. They said there is a common issue with demio and would take around 100k to fix. So they must have given me the worst case. 

Solution is simple.

Call asiri/rainbow and check the price from them.

Avoid Lalith unless you have a mazda specific issue, any grease monkey can change the steering rack of a car. Other than diagnostics and atf changes mazna should be avoided, you can get the same work done for half the cost if you did your research.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2017 at 10:52 PM, The Stig said:

Solution is simple.

Call asiri/rainbow and check the price from them.

Avoid Lalith unless you have a mazda specific issue, any grease monkey can change the steering rack of a car. Other than diagnostics and atf changes mazna should be avoided, you can get the same work done for half the cost if you did your research.

I'm totally agree with Stig, few weeks back went to MAZNA Motors to done a full service on My mazda demio - ( this is my first service since i brought it) it cost me 62000Rs -  this is excluding ATF .  They insist on changing suspensions with some brand they have and I want to change my one with KYB, since it's only the difference is 2000Rs and KYB is more reliable.

once I neglect the advice from once fellow , lalith sat with me and try to convince me .. once i refused to do .. they act very rudely and I'm thinking going back again , except for a major issue..

once Demio owner ask to fix set of fog lights(reconditioned) and they charge 20000 for lights and 4000 for switch and 1500 for labor cost..
I got same from Delkanda for 12000Rs and they fixed the thing free..

only plus point is they have all the parts and you don't need to worry about finding them ... if you don't mind spending some extra cash ... then it's ok .

On 9/1/2018 at 12:48 AM, bimalnp4me said:

I'm totally agree with Stig, few weeks back went to MAZNA Motors to done a full service on My mazda demio - ( this is my first service since i brought it) it cost me 62000Rs -  this is excluding ATF .  They insist on changing suspensions with some brand they have and I want to change my one with KYB, since it's only the difference is 2000Rs and KYB is more reliable.

once I neglect the advice from once fellow , lalith sat with me and try to convince me .. once i refused to do .. they act very rudely and I'm thinking going back again , except for a major issue..

once Demio owner ask to fix set of fog lights(reconditioned) and they charge 20000 for lights and 4000 for switch and 1500 for labor cost..
I got same from Delkanda for 12000Rs and they fixed the thing free..

only plus point is they have all the parts and you don't need to worry about finding them ... if you don't mind spending some extra cash ... then it's ok .

Could you post a cost break down for what they charge 62k ? Seems bit excessive ..

Edited by Kelly