• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best used vehicle for 5.5 - 6 million in 2017 ?

Goro

What will be the best bang for buck at current market prices?  Looking for something that's manufacturing year is at-least 2010.  There are some of options such as  Audi A4 2011 (B8), BMW X1, BMW E90 facelift. Is Audi A4 B8.5 within my budget? Or anything else that I can consider?

There are Mark Xs for that price....but...they are older than what you are looking for. There are a few honest cars around that were for sale with low mileages and decent history. 

Most of the decent A4s I have seen..the decent ones have been more towards the 7mil mark.

15 hours ago, iRage said:

There are Mark Xs for that price....but...they are older than what you are looking for. There are a few honest cars around that were for sale with low mileages and decent history. 

Most of the decent A4s I have seen..the decent ones have been more towards the 7mil mark.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark X seems like a nice choice too. However I'm more inclined towards Euros though. If there are other options regardless of the year restriction, please mention.. Highly appreciate your help.

20 minutes ago, Goro said:

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark X seems like a nice choice too. However I'm more inclined towards Euros though. If there are other options regardless of the year restriction, please mention.. Highly appreciate your help.

Decent B8s are in the lower 7 mil range. You can get a higher mileage one for your budget though.

I think Audi fixed the multitronic issues in this generation but 60k ish is when previous generations started getting trouble, better get the car checked from senok before anything.

44 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Decent B8s are in the lower 7 mil range. You can get a higher mileage one for your budget though.

I think Audi fixed the multitronic issues in this generation but 60k ish is when previous generations started getting trouble, better get the car checked from senok before anything.

thanks a lot for the info. Which generation had this issue exactly?  B8 or B8 facelift (aka B8.5) ? Both are 4th generation. Or are you saying they fixed this issue only in their next generation (5th gen) B9s ? 

On 1/7/2017 at 11:35 PM, Goro said:

thanks a lot for the info. Which generation had this issue exactly?  B8 or B8 facelift (aka B8.5) ? Both are 4th generation. Or are you saying they fixed this issue only in their next generation (5th gen) B9s ? 

They were on the b7 multitronics.

Hard to say if the issue is there in b8 since most of the local cars are nearing that mileage. Find a Quattro if you can, they came with s-tronic (dct) boxes. 

B9 is from 2015 onwards,  they skipped cvt all together and fitted dual clutch as standard. 

Get an indication from senok on the gearbox situation. 

9 hours ago, The Stig said:

They were on the b7 multitronics.

Hard to say if the issue is there in b8 since most of the local cars are nearing that mileage. Find a Quattro if you can, they came with s-tronic (dct) boxes. 

B9 is from 2015 onwards,  they skipped cvt all together and fitted dual clutch as standard. 

Get an indication from senok on the gearbox situation. 

thanks a lot. valuable info!

11 hours ago, The Stig said:

They did? Why? Where they having problems with their CVT? Audi was one of the first car makers to switch to CVT and one of the few luxury brands that had them, so its strange that they would drop their CVT's from the A4, when all the other manufacturers are making the push towards CVT's .... can anyone shed any light on this? 

4 hours ago, Kavvz said:

They did? Why? Where they having problems with their CVT? Audi was one of the first car makers to switch to CVT and one of the few luxury brands that had them, so its strange that they would drop their CVT's from the A4, when all the other manufacturers are making the push towards CVT's .... can anyone shed any light on this? 

I remember reading that they had performance issues and defects with their CVT which even lead to them having to face a lawsuit after which they had to settle claims for 64,000 cars. This just maybe one reason.

Also, it's dual clutch. It doesn't have lagging issues of CVT, so it makes more sense for any performance oriented vehicle over CVT or conventional auto IMO.

33 minutes ago, Davy said:

I remember reading that they had performance issues and defects with their CVT which even lead to them having to face a lawsuit after which they had to settle claims for 64,000 cars. This just maybe one reason.

Also, it's dual clutch. It doesn't have lagging issues of CVT, so it makes more sense for any performance oriented vehicle over CVT or conventional auto IMO.

Yeah, it makes sense: I love the fuel economy of my Nissan's CVT, but the lag and the whine it makes under throttle is just so blah! I'd take a DSG over a CVT any day! But I am surprised that they haven't kept CVT as standard and offered the DSG as an upgrade as I'm sure some of their customers would rather have good fuel economy over the performance of the DSG. Especially since the maintenance costs on dual clutch systems are eye watering!  

8 hours ago, Kavvz said:

They had massive issues and some even failed within the warranty period. 

3 hours ago, Davy said:

Yeap

http://performancedrive.com.au/audi-ends-multitronic-cvt-transmission-report-2415/

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

Yeah, it makes sense: I love the fuel economy of my Nissan's CVT, but the lag and the whine it makes under throttle is just so blah! I'd take a DSG over a CVT any day! But I am surprised that they haven't kept CVT as standard and offered the DSG as an upgrade as I'm sure some of their customers would rather have good fuel economy over the performance of the DSG. Especially since the maintenance costs on dual clutch systems are eye watering!  

Actually the audi cvt wasn't technically similar to Jap cvts. They had complains from customer on how boring their cars were to drive so they got rid of the infinite gear ratios and moved to a stepped ratio in later models. Basically it was a cvt that worked like a 7 speed auto.  I don't think there would be much economic benefit lost because of this. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2017 at 10:45 PM, The Stig said:

On 1/7/2017 at 10:14 PM, Goro said:

About an year ago  BMW E90 2011's actual selling prices was around 5.5mil. Now everyone advertise it around 6.5mil. Any clue about actual selling price of this, these days? 

A close friend picked up a 2011 two owner A4 with just 35k on the clock in excellent shape for 6.6 just last month. So I would say you should be able to find one around that figure without trouble. The 2012s are asking 7 mill I noticed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2017 at 8:23 PM, Supra_Natural said:

A close friend picked up a 2011 two owner A4 with just 35k on the clock in excellent shape for 6.6 just last month. So I would say you should be able to find one around that figure without trouble. The 2012s are asking 7 mill I noticed.

2012s are the facelift models, so I guess it's worth spending another 4-5 lakhs and go for a 2012 facelift model right? 

On 1/11/2017 at 9:00 AM, peugeot407 said:

There was a 2011 diesel A4 for around 6.0M couple of months back also a high mileage petrol for 5.8M.

Oh really? I've been checking advertising sites like twice a day recently, but seems I missed those :(   Any advantage of the diesel specimen over petrol counterpart other than fuel economy?

1 hour ago, Goro said:

Oh really? I've been checking advertising sites like twice a day recently, but seems I missed those :(   Any advantage of the diesel specimen over petrol counterpart other than fuel economy?

• From my experience, Euro diesel's are more reliable than their petrol counterparts.
  • Higher Torque
  • No engine oil consumption as petrol vehicles
Disadvantages
  • Since these cars are permit imports lesser number of options compaired to petrol version.
  • Timing belt has to be replaced at 60K or in five years.