• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda Demio 2009 Gear Box Oil Change

mazda2

Hi I have a Mazda Demio 2009. I want to change the Gear Box Oil. When called Colonial they said that they use Oil named "M Five" for 12K and "FZ" for 17k. When I called a local garage guy he said he is using Valvoline and it will cost 7k with labor. Please comment the suitability of the oil. Both places said that they manually clean the sump and clean solenoids as well. Would like to hear your expert view.  

Welcome to the forum! I think you'll be happy to know that we have quite a few Demio owners on the forum. :)

From what Colonial has suggested, it looks like you have a regular automatic transmission and not the CVT variant. MV ("M Five") is the recommended oil by the manufacturer. If you are using a different brand of oil, make sure it's MV. Also keep in mind that "Mercon 5" is not as same as MV. In my experience, Colonial does a better job, but then again this is just an oil change and there's little room for error.

You have to use 3320 type CVT oil if the transmission is CVT.

@mazda2, FYI, you can find photos of the cars of Demio owners in this thread + other information (manuals and stuff etc.)

Edited by Davy
Added link to Demio thread

ask this local garage "what is the manufacture recommend ATF for your car". probably they don't know, so they dont know that whether this particular Valvoline is a substitution for mazda MV.

I think they use MaxLife DEX/MERC or MERCON V (AFAIK which is not a substitution for MV).

i think your car  AT is 4F27E. then my suggestion is never use ATF other than mazda MV.

Edited by MV-5

Good to see someone change ATF before the transmission blows up! :action-smiley-028:

Manufacturer recomends a few compatable fluids recomended here,. Remember Price isn't everything, see how smooth your transmission changes with fresh Fluid.:) youu may use 

automatic transmissions Transaxle, Automatic 2.5 liters
2009 Dexron VIBMW 7045ENissan Matic D, J, LT 71141, JWS3309Ford Mercon V, MB236.6, MB236.7, MB236.8, MB236.9, MB236.10Mitsubishi/Hyundai SPII , SPIIIHonda Z1Toyota T-IVVolvo1161540VW/Audi G-055-025-AZChrysler ATF, ATF3+, ATF4+ for automatic transmissions Transaxle, Automatic 2.5 liters

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

Mazda oil is called Mazda M V (V as in Roman number 5), this is not the same as mercon  V

There are no compatible substitutes AFAIK In the local market. Asiri motors,  rainbow and new rainbow carry this and price is arround 13k for 4l. Mazna motors papaliyana also has this oil and they give it only if you change Atf from them. 

This has been  discussed a million times and if you bothered to search you would have come across multiple threads. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Good to see someone change ATF before the transmission blows up! :action-smiley-028:

Manufacturer recomends a few compatable fluids recomended here,. Remember Price isn't everything, see how smooth your transmission changes with fresh Fluid.:) youu may use 

2009 Dexron VIBMW 7045ENissan Matic D, J, LT 71141, JWS3309Ford Mercon V, MB236.6, MB236.7, MB236.8, MB236.9, MB236.10Mitsubishi/Hyundai SPII , SPIIIHonda Z1Toyota T-IVVolvo1161540VW/Audi G-055-025-AZChrysler ATF, ATF3+, ATF4+ for automatic transmissions Transaxle, Automatic 2.5 liters

TT.

Pretty sure that list isn't right. From where did you get this? You should include a reference if you are quoting from the Internet. 

As I have mentioned above (and The Stig has reiterated as well), Mercon 5 isn't the same as MV. Using Mercon 5 on a transmission intended for MV can cause premature failure of the unit. 

Hi Guys Change the Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) last saturday. Thanks for your comments. This is what I did and would appreciate your comment for each points.Also I changed Engine Oil also since it was time. 

1. Used "Valvoline Max Life" Full synthetic Oil. 

2. Changed engine oil from "Mobile 1000 15W-40" to "Valvoline SAE 10W-30". 

Following comments were made by the Mechanic which I need your expeireince: 

3. "Mobile 1000" is only good if you drive frequently (Which I am not). And if you drive in Highway.

4. ATF oil "Valvoline Max life" he used was requested to change in 30,000km.  

5. What is the recommended viscosity of the oil to be used in Mazda Demio engine?

I used " 10W-30" Valvoline instead of 15W-40" in "Mobile 1000"  

6. The guy said "Mobile 1000" tends to create sludge if not run regularly ? I usually run 2-3 days/week WIll it create problem?

7. Cost

Engine Oil 4 Ltr = Rs.4,180/-

Gear Oil 3.78 Ltr = Rs. 5,521/=

Labor  =1000/ =( Cleaned Oil sump and replaced Oil filter @ Rs. 850/=)

8. What would be the cost if I did the same in Colonial ?

Photos attached of the Oil I used. Appreciate experts comments. 

20161218_112101.jpg

20161218_112114.jpg

20161218_112121.jpg

20161218_112050.jpg

20161218_112057.jpg

20161218_112107.jpg

@mazda2

I do not intend to comment on use of ATF for it had been discussed in length by others. As for the other points on engine oil,

2. That's fine if you decided to use 10W30 oil as long as you don't see a significant reduction in oil level between service intervals. So keep an eye on the oil level.

3. No, there is no such thing.

5. Mazda recommends 5W30 so 10W30 is just as good (subject to my comment on point 2 above).

6. That's a misrepresentation of facts IMO. What really happens is some people change engine oil in 5000km intervals without giving due regard to the time period. For a car that runs a few tens of kms a week it may very well take over a year to reach the 5000km service mark and would invariably result in sludge formation. So the service interval should be 5000kms or six months whichever comes first whether you use 10W30 or 15W40.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

TT.

What is this BS?. please answer a question only if you know it , otherwise please don't google and copy and paste.

Edited by MV-5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MV-5 said:

What is this BS?. please answer a question only if you know it , otherwise please don't google and copy and paste.

BULLSHIT COURTESY OF MAZDA MOTOR CORPARATION HIROSHIMA JAPAN,..

Edited by Twin Turbo

16 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

First of all, lose the caps please. No need to scream.

Secondly, why don't you share the link of the page from "Mazda Motor Corporation Hiroshima Japan" where you copied this information from? Because copy pasting that text in your answer into Google shows the exact formatting and table structure in one (and only one) website: http://cararac.com/gear_oil/mazda/2.html

That looks nothing like "Mazda Motor Corporation Hiroshima Japan" to me. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jor-el said:

So what's the verdict, did OP used the wrong ATF (Mercon-5 instead of Mazda ATF MV?)

He has used Mercon LV, which is not Mercon V nor Mazda ATF M-V.

I'm just going to leave this link here:

http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/library/MAZDAESI/Technical Service Bulletins/en_us/pdf/05-002-13-2777a.pdf

Note that the bulletin was initially released in 2008 although it says 2011 - 2013 Mazda 2.

2 hours ago, Jor-el said:

So what's the verdict, did OP used the wrong ATF (Mercon-5 instead of Mazda ATF MV?)

As Davy has pointed out no he has gone the cheap and makabass way.

BTW he hasnt even used Mercon V he has used Mercon LV which is a lower viscosity fluid. Take that baby out for a long drive and watch the gears slip :sad-smiley-067:

Good luck to the unfortunate souls who will buy this car later on, may their gearbox rest in pieces  :speechless-smiley-020:

25 minutes ago, Davy said:

He has used Mercon LV, which is not Mercon V nor Mazda ATF M-V.

I'm just going to leave this link here:

http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/library/MAZDAESI/Technical Service Bulletins/en_us/pdf/05-002-13-2777a.pdf

Note that the bulletin was initially released in 2008 although it says 2011 - 2013 Mazda 2.

ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IS NOT THE SAME FLUID AS MERCON®V OR MERCON®LV ATF.

ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER VISCOSITY THAN MERCON®V AND MERCON®LV ATF
IN LOW TEMPERATURES.

ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER ANTI-JUDDER SPECIFICATION THAN MERCON®V AND
MERCON®LV ATF.

USING ATF OTHER THAN ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
DESIGNED TO USE ATF M-V (TYPE M5) MAY CAUSE SHIFT QUALITY COMPLAINTS.

USING ANY OTHER ATF OTHER THAN THE SPECIFIED ATF IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
MAY CAUSE TRANSMISSION DAMAGE.

USING A GENERIC, MULTI-PURPOSE OR UNIVERSAL ATF MAY CAUSE TRANSMISSION
DAMAGE.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. It seems OP let the makabass fill his tranny with wrong ATF. Aparade :(

On 12/19/2016 at 0:45 PM, Twin Turbo said:

@ Other Demio owners : above comment is also a just another BS. ATF recommendation has been mentioned even in the user manual.

ex:

mazda-manual.png

• Like 2

This is really, really confusing. Valvoline says their Maxlife ATF is compatible with trannys which call for Mazda M-V.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/w163-m-class/1708857d1450226627-transmission-fluid-maxlife-atf-rev-2015.07.23_20151215125131.pdf

Valvoline has conducted in-house testing,
independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions.

Edited by Jor-el

8 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

All manufacturers put their own proucts in their user manulas.as to bring more profits,..:P

P.s, Along time ago the former dealer Car Mart used caltex DEX3 in their auto boxes.

There are direct substitutes for Toyota and Honda oils, this is judged base on chemical composition and viscosity properties. But there is not a single substitute for Mazda mv, as Mazda owners we have all put hours of online research and read through hundreds of online forums only to come to the conclusion that a there are no suitable substitute in the local market. You can compare the chemical composition if you want. 

7 hours ago, Jor-el said:

This is really, really confusing. Valvoline says their Maxlife ATF is compatible with trannys which call for Mazda M-V.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/w163-m-class/1708857d1450226627-transmission-fluid-maxlife-atf-rev-2015.07.23_20151215125131.pdf

Compatibility is a broad term, most of these all in one atfs have some compatibility at selected temperature ranges. But chemical properties change based on temperature and they may not match the exact specs throughout the operating temperature range. For example if you don't have the required viscosity at high temperatures gears may slip but the oil may work perfectly in cold city driving, above scenario can still be counted as compatible but it really doesn't give the full picture. 

The fact remains, ignorance is bliss.Our techs don't know the meaning of the word compatibility

So they stick to matching colourss when it comes to things like ATF. (replace red with  red);)

Edited by Twin Turbo

On 12/19/2016 at 4:37 PM, MV-5 said:

.Compatibility with Mazda

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/MaxLife%20ATF%20REv%202015.07.23_20151215125131.pdf

It's cheap,it's red,..What more does one need?:( And the writer of the thread is using it.

Edited by Twin Turbo

36 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

.Compatibility with Mazda

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/MaxLife%20ATF%20REv%202015.07.23_20151215125131.pdf

It's cheap,it's red,..What more does one need?:(

Correction to link-

• 4 years later...

Bump on an old topic

M5 now comes in 1l cans. (You'll need 4) And also you'll need to (clean or) replace the felt filter of the transmission oil sump. Unfortunately I didn't find the particular P/N PA66-GA33 so opted to clean it with kerosene and later with a carb cleaner.

Be sure to make the gasket with a gasket filler and also apply a bit on the screws and check for leaks when you remove and refix the tranny oil sump! (Demio 2010)

B3EE3AFB-20E5-45B7-8E90-CEDA67137474.jpeg

ABFB3813-FAD3-4C03-9717-966A525DBC5A.jpeg

DC082B3D-8514-4CA0-946A-BB5AF7D4499B.jpeg

58B795FC-3D62-4F50-8433-35E3C33C5ABD.jpeg

Edited by withmenilu