• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Montero v6 2003|Montero Sport 2006|Kia Sorento 2011|Peugeot 508 2011|Mercedes-Benz E240 2003

all!on

Question

I'm hoping to go for an upgrade. Following are my dream vehicles in the next level. My budget is maximum 5.8M. I know all the below are not comparable. I would like to know fuel efficiency (I know it's low), maintenance costs, availability of parts, known issues and things to look at when buying. Also if there are any other recommendation for the above price.

1. Montero v6 2002/2004 Petrol
  2. Montero Sport 2006 Petrol
  3. Kia Sorento 2011 Diesel
  4. Peugeot 508 2011 Petrol
  5. Mercedes-Benz E240 2003/2004 Petrol

Your valuable comments are highly appreciated.

18 answers to this question

2 hours ago, iRage said:

I didn't use the Pajero in Sri Lanka...had one in East Timor where traffic was non existent. The thing barely got 5...didn't have any MAJOR repairs...to be honest the only thing was the issue with the AWD system going bonkers frequently. Quite a few of the others had the same problem. But again it is an easy fix.Mine was a GDI and I had to be very selective about the fuel. I didn't have any problems with it but I have heard of some nasty GDI problem stories. 

Another thing I didn't like was when going on gravelly, rough roads you feel the vibration through the entire body thanks to the uni body construct. The Prado with the old frame on ladder design was a lot better on the same road. Also, you have to be careful about how you pull your car out of a ditch or tugging a trailer....seen a few Pajeros with ever so slightly twisted bodies. 

The M.Sport I used in Banda Aceh. It was really uneasy to drive....had a weird body roll/sway to it. The ride was harsh....just..just don't...if you can.

I guess your current ride is an Allion ?

Have you considered something like an XTrail, RAV4, CR-V or Vangaurd (might be over your budget) as well ? 

Thanks for information. Current ride is Nissan G11.

Rav4, Vanguard are not my type of vehicles. XTrail, I did concern but I think it looks bit outdated. (2008 model)

Had the joy of using 1 and 2 on a long term basis.

I don't think you can say Montero V6 Petrol and Fuel efficiency in the same paragraph without bursting out in laughter. It feels plasticy and the AWD system's connectors under the car light the dashboard up like a Christmas tree everytime it gets lose or covered in mud but..the seats are comfy and it moves faster than a bat out of hell and when new it was packed with lot more options than a similar priced Prado.

The Montero Sport you are looking at...seems like its the 1st gen Montero Sport ? It looks like the old Mitsubishi Challenger (which was for the JDM and a few other export markets). Although it looks like the JDM Challenger it is nothing like it...ride is unrefined and unbalanced and feels cheap. The first few of the Montero sports were manufactured in Japan but mid way through entire production was shifted to Thailand.

I don't know about Peugeot and Benz that well. Always had a soft spot for the W21. In fact was looking to buy one last December...but almost all of which were available were hacked (except for 1 which was way over my budget).

Perhaps the Sorento would be a good place to start ?

32 minutes ago, iRage said:

Had the joy of using 1 and 2 on a long term basis.

I don't think you can say Montero V6 Petrol and Fuel efficiency in the same paragraph without bursting out in laughter. It feels plasticy and the AWD system's connectors under the car light the dashboard up like a Christmas tree everytime it gets lose or covered in mud but..the seats are comfy and it moves faster than a bat out of hell and when new it was packed with lot more options than a similar priced Prado.

The Montero Sport you are looking at...seems like its the 1st gen Montero Sport ? It looks like the old Mitsubishi Challenger (which was for the JDM and a few other export markets). Although it looks like the JDM Challenger it is nothing like it...ride is unrefined and unbalanced and feels cheap. The first few of the Montero sports were manufactured in Japan but mid way through entire production was shifted to Thailand.

I don't know about Peugeot and Benz that well. Always had a soft spot for the W21. In fact was looking to buy one last December...but almost all of which were available were hacked (except for 1 which was way over my budget).

Perhaps the Sorento would be a good place to start ?

Thanks for the information. Actually I want to know the numbers of Montero V6 in traffic and long distance since I'm going to use it for daily drive. A friend of mine had a diesel one and according to him, he didn't get any major repair up to 140k until he sold it.

Sorento is a good option to start but that would be my last preference from the list.

16 minutes ago, all!on said:

Thanks for the information. Actually I want to know the numbers of Montero V6 in traffic and long distance since I'm going to use it for daily drive. A friend of mine had a diesel one and according to him, he didn't get any major repair up to 140k until he sold it.

Sorento is a good option to start but that would be my last preference from the list.

I didn't use the Pajero in Sri Lanka...had one in East Timor where traffic was non existent. The thing barely got 5...didn't have any MAJOR repairs...to be honest the only thing was the issue with the AWD system going bonkers frequently. Quite a few of the others had the same problem. But again it is an easy fix.Mine was a GDI and I had to be very selective about the fuel. I didn't have any problems with it but I have heard of some nasty GDI problem stories. 

Another thing I didn't like was when going on gravelly, rough roads you feel the vibration through the entire body thanks to the uni body construct. The Prado with the old frame on ladder design was a lot better on the same road. Also, you have to be careful about how you pull your car out of a ditch or tugging a trailer....seen a few Pajeros with ever so slightly twisted bodies. 

The M.Sport I used in Banda Aceh. It was really uneasy to drive....had a weird body roll/sway to it. The ride was harsh....just..just don't...if you can.

Have you considered something like an XTrail, RAV4, CR-V or Vangaurd (might be over your budget) as well ? 

Edited by iRage

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

Your short list has car,4wd, petrol/ diesel, normal, flash ect,.. a complx mix impossible to narrow down,..

Have you considerd maintenance, insurance etc ?

I know all these are different types of vehicles with different capabilities. I want to know some more information about those.

Can handle maintenance and insurance costs if I do not have to goto garage every week. I'm satisfied with a fuel economy of 6km/l. Current vehicle is doing at about 8.5-9.5 in traffic. Just want to know the figures before getting the vehicle. 

When considering montero sport

You may be able to squeeze in a 2008 diesel for that price rather than a 2006 petrol.

It's a reliable and economical vehicle which could run over 200 000km without major repairs.

We had one sometime ago and never gave us trouble in the 5 yrs we used it and it was real easy to maintain. Diesel monteros do a lot better on fuel than petrol ones. It's not that uncomfortable as people predict.

You can add the facelifted cm santafe 2010ish to the list

1 hour ago, Clark's son said:

You may be able to squeeze in a 2008 diesel for that price rather than a 2006 petrol.

It's a reliable and economical vehicle which could run over 200 000km without major repairs.

We had one sometime ago and never gave us trouble in the 5 yrs we used it and it was real easy to maintain. Diesel monteros do a lot better on fuel than petrol ones. It's not that uncomfortable as people predict.

2008 wuld be a PB or PC series Montero Sport. That one is much better than the PA series one. The PA was appalling 

20 hours ago, iRage said:

Shouldnt uni body be more comfy? 

9 hours ago, Magnum said:

Shouldnt uni body be more comfy? 

Yes it was comfy...like it didn't feel like getting kicked in the rear or anything...the car was well grounded..the seat kept us nice and snuggled...just that there was this weird vibration you heard going through the entire body. First i thought it was my car with perhaps some spoil bushes or something...but then the others did the exact same thing (there was my one which was a JDM unit and a fleet of 5 cars used by an "agency").

14 hours ago, all!on said:

Thanks for information. Current ride is Nissan G11.

Rav4, Vanguard are not my type of vehicles. XTrail, I did concern but I think it looks bit outdated. (2008 model)

What IS your type of vehicle ? Perhaps that would help to expand your list. So far you have told us what you find pretty :D

15 hours ago, Clark's son said:

Thanks. :)

Problem is Diesel monteros are out of my budget at the moment. Diesel Montero Sport would be a good option as you said. :) 

3 hours ago, iRage said:

What IS your type of vehicle ? Perhaps that would help to expand your list. So far you have told us what you find pretty :D

:) Good one. I prefer either a good looking SUV with some off road capability or a professional prestige car. I'm happy with either one.

13 hours ago, all!on said:

It's a great car and it's hard to make my mind to sell. Hope to sell if I find a good vehicle to buy. Price varying from 36 to 42. I got offers for 38.50.

Yeap I agree with you they are great cars! I'm a big fan :D

Edited by Kavvz