• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Please help me.....

Optimus

10 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

But in the other hand the Presea has the bells and whistles and not at all dull to drive right :D so since its the same engine, maybe the OP will consider this who knows :D

This bugger is biased.

The Presea is a very nice looking car and the market price is great, but don't let this Presea Lover fellow con you into thinking that you are buying anything that is mechanically different from a FB14. Its cosmetically better yes, so if you want to buy an upscale / better looking FB14 a Presea maybe an option for you. 

Edited by Kavvz

5 hours ago, Kavvz said:

This bugger is biased.

The Presea is a very nice looking car and the market price is great, but don't let this Presea Lover fellow con you into thinking that you are buying anything that is mechanically different from a FB14. Its cosmetically better yes, so if you want to buy an upscale / better looking FB14 a Presea maybe an option for you. 

wahahahahahaha :D

9 hours ago, Kavvz said:

This bugger is biased.

Biased is an understatement the dude has a very specific case of OCD.

On 12/15/2016 at 5:14 PM, TomEd said:

Toyota vios (auto) would be a better option for your requirement. Its economical (14-15km/l without A/C), reliable, comfortable, second hand range (2008 avg) 26-27M. If you go like 2003-2004, you would get a better price for the budget.

Its worthier than many Korean/Indian made ones nowadays sold in SL...

Good advice, OP's budget is 1.7 mil and you are recommending a car that goes for 2.6 mil, im sure you aced your grade 5 maths tests.

On 12/15/2016 at 7:00 PM, Optimus said:

Thanks everyone for valuable ideas... 

Vios over my budget 

Galent lot of bad comments on forum except for comfortability.

And no FB 14 and presea... Lolz ? ? ? 

How about blue bird (2000) and BMW (316/320) ??  

316/320 are terms used to describe models in the same generation and does not define the generation.

But I believe the generation you are looking for at this price range would be an e36 3 series, and the short answer is dont buy it if you are planning to sell it soon and dont have some budget left for repairs etc.

Mazda BJ5P or Lancer CK (1999 to 2001 models) are good candidates for your requirements. But these days those are way overpriced and finding a well maintained one for 1.7 M is not easy. There may be abused/ hacked ones around that budget, but to use it with a confidence it will require some cost again to do all the repairs properly. Once it is properly done, no need to worry. Above 2 models are rock solid and proven as great workhorses for over a decade.

If you are ok with quite older models you may consider/evaluate Corolla AE 100 and Mazda Butterfly model too. Again rock solid and well proven.

Good luck!

On 12/15/2016 at 5:41 PM, GayanR said:

What did you use? mineral oil or full synthetic velocity? 

@GayanR

Do you mean, 

depending on whether the mineral or fully synthetic oil used, you could expect remarkable fuel consumption difference?

Though oil (actually not whether its mineral or not but the viscosity) is a factor , it couldn't be noticeable with the variation of the traffic situation in City. 

On 12/13/2016 at 8:12 PM, Optimus said:

Any idea about Peugeot, blue bird and BMW...  I consider those people said they are very reliable vehicle and good for long distance drive? 

As per consumer reports reliability rating as of  October 24, 2016  BMW is at #9, Nissan at #13. 

My personal preference for reliability is Toyota.

Kmeeg.

Reliability rating 2016.jpg

On 12/19/2016 at 1:29 PM, kmeeg said:

As per consumer reports reliability rating as of  October 24, 2016  BMW is at #9, Nissan at #13. 

My personal preference for reliability is Toyota.

Kmeeg.

Reliability rating 2016.jpg

WHAT??! Kia and Hyundai beat Nissan in term of reliability? No way? That I never saw coming.... !

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

WHAT??! Kia and Hyundai beat Nissan in term of reliability? No way? That I never saw coming.... !

True its a shock. I too don't know how they calculate these ratings. 

I know Kia and Hyundai is coming strong but still not comfortable to buy those over Nissan or many other popular brands below the list.

1 hour ago, kmeeg said:

True its a shock. I too don't know how they calculate these ratings. 

I know Kia and Hyundai is coming strong but still not comfortable to buy those over Nissan or many other popular brands below the list.

Their slogan has done it's job then: :D

kia-logo.jpg

On a more serious note, Kia - Hyundai get their engines built from GEMA (Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance) and that is managed by Chrysler (FCA - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) I think. So they're not what they used to be 10 years ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kavvz said:

U still believe the car brokers' b*llshit don't you?

FYI, Kia is the ONLY automobile brand in UK to offer a 7-year fully transferable warranty for their vehicles.

Regarding the reliability rating - This may be in theory books and is it like the Annual Report of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka? In every year it claims per capita has increased, living standards are improved, inflation is controlled etc. But everyone knows the ground reality.

On that reliability rating #5 is Kia, #7 is Hyundai and Mercedes-Benz is #17 and Porsche is #16. Sounds like what?

And when consider our Sri Lankan context, you know the expected deviations (as any other international rating stats).

On 20/12/2016 at 7:58 PM, Crosswind said:

U still believe the car brokers' b*llshit don't you?

FYI, Kia is the ONLY automobile brand in UK to offer a 7-year fully transferable warranty for their vehicles.

As in a Nissan would be more reliable than its the similar Korean counter part? Well: Yeah! Call me stupid for believing but there you have it. But I thought the Japs wouldn't be dethroned from their reliability ratings ever! 

I've been thinking about a Hyundai Genesis sedan (cheapish / affordable rwd option with lots of room) so maybe now's the time to get off the fence and test drive the darn thing? 

Edited by Kavvz

8 hours ago, Kavvz said:

As in a Nissan would be more reliable than its the similar Korean counter part? Well: Yeah! Call me stupid for believing but there you have it. But I thought the Japs wouldn't be dethroned from their reliability ratings ever! 

I've been thinking about a Hyundai Genesis sedan (cheapish / affordable rwd option with lots of room) so maybe now's the time to get off the fence and test drive the darn thing? 

The thing is Kavvz, the world used to react in pretty much the same way when Japan's automotive industry standard growing after WW2. They never expected Japanese cars to be as reliable as the European ones which were considered the benchmark of reliability.

If you're a fan of Back to the Future, then I quote:

Young Doc:
No wonder this circuit failed. It says "Made in Japan".

Marty McFly:
What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan.

Young Doc:
Unbelievable

And that's what people thought about Japan in 1955 vs 1985. Times change. 

Also, this documentary by Jeremy Clarkson. Watch the part from 5:08 to 7:00 if you don't have time to watch the whole thing. 

So you should totally test drive the Genesis IMO. :)

Edited by Davy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Davy said:

The thing is Kavvz, the world used to react in pretty much the same way when Japan's automotive industry standard growing after WW2. They never expected Japanese cars to be as reliable as the European ones which were considered the benchmark of reliability.

If you're a fan of Back to the Future, then I quote:

And that's what people thought about Japan in 1955 vs 1985. Times change. 

Also, this documentary by Jeremy Clarkson. Watch the part from 5:08 to 7:00 if you don't have time to watch the whole thing. 

I always have time for classic JC. Much better than the newer episodes IMO. Also: the Toyota Corolla at 10:00 :D !! Bugger's a jerk, but he's  is / was pretty funny! 

Edited by Kavvz

1 hour ago, Jor-el said:

Never seen a Genesis in SL with me eyes 

No ? Hmm..I guess that makes sense due to the engine size. If you're going to shell out so much in tax, it makes sense to get a euro lux barge instead of a Korean upstart. Well perhaps I'm out of luck then. I have always admired them on overseas trips and always wondered how they drove. They certainly do have a lot of road presence, the second generation in particular. I've never been in one though, as they aren't carried by any of the airport rental companies...

Edited by Kavvz

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

No ? Hmm..I guess that makes sense due to the engine size. 

That may be the biggest reason and the brand for that engine. I tried the 3.8L v6 with 6 speed man. For the price its a fun car. 

Edited by kmeeg

54 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

That may be the biggest reason and the brand for that engine. I tried the 3.8L v6 with 6 speed man. For the price its a fun car. 

Yes, that's the engine package that I thought would work well as a discount Lexus! There is a bigger engine available but the 3.8L offers the best value I feel. Where did you test drive it? In SL? 

41 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Yes, that's the engine package that I thought would work well as a discount Lexus! There is a bigger engine available but the 3.8L offers the best value I feel. Where did you test drive it? In SL? 

I test drove in US. Dealer had a huge discount for it $23K + dealer fees + tax. Didn't buy though, just went to test drive.  

• Like 1

On 12/22/2016 at 3:56 PM, Davy said:

On 12/22/2016 at 11:43 PM, kmeeg said:

I test drove in US. Dealer had a huge discount for it $23K + dealer fees + tax. Didn't buy though, just went to test drive.  

I did some more googling after this thread brought it up, and found to my interest that the posters on Jalopnik are pretty divided on the second gen Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan (and the 5.0 for that matter). The reviewers seem to like them, but the general public / average Joe doesn't seem too impressed. ( I'm talking about the second gen here, the first gen doesn't fair as well in reviews.)

I'm not sure why everyone hates it. IMO most of the comments aren't based on fact, but on individual preference and prejudice, but its weird that the majority, on what is considered to be the foremost automotive forum, don't like it; despite what the automotive reviewers have to say! But then again, those same buggers elected Trump as president, so... :D 

Edited by Kavvz