• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Swift, Cherovlet Cruze and Nissan March AK12

ravindasenarath

Question

Hi all,

Two years before I purchased a Mazda BJ5P with the help of you all. It was for my family and I drove it most of the time. My honest opinion is that car is a reliable, cool and  fun to drive. I did use it as my wedding car as well ^_^

After two years I sold it. Well, the reason is nor since both me and my brother is living in Colombo now car just sit at home until one of us get back. So I wanted to go for a bit smaller car which my sister could drive. My preferences were Suzuki Swift Jeep Model 2004, Chevrolet Curze 2004. BTW I did my homework guys. I read everything related to these vehicles in the forum. 

Last two days I went to see 8 car of above models. Looking at those cars I'm very disappointed. Most of them looks they were being raped by owners. Engines leaking oil all over the place, power windows not working or creaking, Cabin is dusty like hell etc.  Honestly I can't believe how someone can use a car like that. The best car I would was a 3rd owner lady drive. That also have slight oil leaks and it is a basic car ( no ABS, P/S ). It also giving a bit of vibration when on D so I guess engine mounts are not good. 

Yesterday evening I looked into March AK 12 ( Yes, I read all forum threads ). Should be a very comfortable car with all features. So I'm going to raise the fuel consumption topic again. In most threads people start giving unrealistic figures and from there on thread discussion is off topic. My BJ5P realistically did ~9kmpl is Colombo, Outstations ~12kpml(Trip to Katharagama gave bit beyond 12 so ) and highway ~15kmpl( Driving ~80kmph). I have heard most 1.3 engines ( vitz, swift ) do ~12kmpl on city. So AK12 being more low and wide car would do less I think . I read 10 is also difficult to achieve in AK12. But outstation it should do at least ~13 and highway ~15. 

So please someone had a AK12 please give me a realistic figure please. 

Thank you

Edited by ravindasenarath
tags modified

12 answers to this question

one of my friends had an ak12 as he mentioned it did around 8 km per liter in city , sometimes it reached 9 ... outstation mostly 12 ... nissan march models are small but drinks a lot of fuel , the car is reliable ... patta gahanna puluwan ?

i think cruze is best match got the best ground clearence from all ur selections , will do slightly better on fuel ... 

whats a suzuki swift jeep model ? are u reffering to the box model ? (theres also a beetle model which is better looking - whatever make sure ur buying a japaneese) it will be the same as the cruze ..

another suggestion , maybe a viva elite ?

3 hours ago, gayankap said:

one of my friends had an ak12 as he mentioned it did around 8 km per liter in city , sometimes it reached 9 ... outstation mostly 12 ... nissan march models are small but drinks a lot of fuel , the car is reliable ... patta gahanna puluwan ?

i think cruze is best match got the best ground clearence from all ur selections , will do slightly better on fuel ... 

whats a suzuki swift jeep model ? are u reffering to the box model ? (theres also a beetle model which is better looking - whatever make sure ur buying a japaneese) it will be the same as the cruze ..

another suggestion , maybe a viva elite ?

As long as it does something more than BJP5 I'm satisfied. :rolleyes:

Checked couple of Cruze vehicles. Didn't found a one in good shape. The fact is that most of Cruze and Suzuki Jeep model owners are newbies to taking care of a car and they just wanted a vehicle for their needs. Most of then hasn't taken care of their vehicles ( Love their car I would call )

Checked around 8 Swift Jeep models. Only two were in decent condition. BTW I feed that car is over priced for that features ( No ABS, No adjustable / retractable mirrors )

I don't like elite. -_-

10 hours ago, ravindasenarath said:

Must be the worst case right. BJ5P also gave those figures. :(

no. March isn't exactly known for being a fuel efficient vehicle. 

Out of your lot I'd still look for the Cruze/Swift [hr51s/ht51s] it's pretty tough and durable  for a small car and not too complicated to repair either. Plus the ground clearance is way way better for the pothole ridden roads (surprisingly very common even in suburbs) in SL.

• Like 1

I gave up on Swift Jeep Model. :mellow: Inspected around 12 cars and I'm not satisfied with any them. Specially I feel like they doesn't worth that kind of money( Given the fact that most cars have been abused and it is a car with less features. Overpriced)

I have got a liking on Swift beetle :wub:. Still they are around 27 - 30 ( 2007 - 2009 ). Given that AK 12  ( same year range ) is lower from around 20K is it working pumping fuel for that 20K ? Fried of mine told me that there is a issue with headlights of AK12. That they are getting unclear very quickly due to higher position of them.  

Edited by ravindasenarath

9 minutes ago, ravindasenarath said:

Fried of mine told me that there is a issue with headlights of AK12. That they are getting unclear very quickly due to higher position of them.  

Sorry...I have nothing to add...but I have to ask...the extent and rate of headlights getting oxidized (yellowish and unclear) is dependent on the height ? Like because the March's lights are a few centimeters higher than that of a different car they oxidize faster and more frequently ?

On the other hand if the headlights are low I can see how they can be more susceptible to dust, grime and mud getting on them and getting spoilt...

Edited by iRage

Just now, iRage said:

Sorry...I have noting to add...but I have to ask...the extent and rate of headlights getting oxidized (yellowish and unclear) is dependent on the height ? Like because the March's lights are a few centimeters higher than that of a different car they oxidize faster and more frequently ?

I got the same question mate. Dunno, May be because they are more exposed to sun. My friend own a service station. He says he has seen this issue with almost all of AK12. So I don't know the reason, I was just quoting my friend. 

14 minutes ago, ravindasenarath said:

I got the same question mate. Dunno, May be because they are more exposed to sun. My friend own a service station. He says he has seen this issue with almost all of AK12. So I don't know the reason, I was just quoting my friend. 

well...rather than the height I think there are two other elements that  makes a difference rather than the height.

1. the AK12's headlight has more surface area that is exposed to the sun/elements rather than the HEIGHT its mounted at ! thus, all vehicles with similar headlight design would have the same issue.

2. exact composition, type and quality of the materials used. So perhaps, even though different cars have the same design some might actually handle the oxidization a bit better than the others.

If by some means you lower the car and lower the height the headlight is at..it will still get oxidized the same manner !