• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How to Register a Website as a Company in terms of a Partnership

PreseaLover

Hi Folks, I want to register my music website as a company in terms of a Partnership with my friend. I have no idea how to do that.. Have anyone done this before? What are the steps I should follow?

I mean, if I should obtain forms, where should I obtain them and then where should I deliver them, what are the documents needed? how long will it take to complete the registration? Are there any points I should keep in mind?

Appreciate your feedback :)

7 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

Hi Folks, I want to register my music website as a company in terms of a Partnership with my friend. I have no idea how to do that.. Have anyone done this before? What are the steps I should follow?

I mean, if I should obtain forms, where should I obtain them and then where should I deliver them, what are the documents needed? how long will it take to complete the registration? Are there any points I should keep in mind?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=register+a+company+sri+lanka

what precise information do you need?

You want to know how to register a WEBSITE as a business? How it works is, you REGISTER THE BUSINESS FIRST, using the info that you obtained from google.

Then register the website as a trademark. This step is not necessary, because once you buy the URL, its yours anyway as long as you keep paying for the domain name every year.

5 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

Define register a website....are you referring to registering a domain name or setting up a contract with a host for your content ?

Pressuming it is registering the domain name...go to a place like nic.lk (there are plenty of portals for you register .lk domain names). Figure out a domain name.Then there is a search feature to check .lk for your requested domain name to see if it is being used. If not....The forms are online. They ask for business registration numbers, etc...if you are registering as a company (sometimes they will ask you to fax in or email a copy of the business registration). They used to take a few days to check if the domain name is being contested for (usually not). Then you are done...

Once you have found a host for your content then get the server addresses etc...and forward it to nic.lk and they will route the traffic accordingly (actually they had an online admin site to set these up but was buggy...don't know if it is fixed now).

4 minutes ago, iRage said:

Define register a website....are you referring to registering a domain name or setting up a contract with a host for your content ?

Pressuming it is registering the domain name...go to a place like nic.lk (there are plenty of portals for you register .lk domain names). Figure out a domain name.Then there is a search feature to check .lk for your requested domain name to see if it is being used. If not....The forms are online. They ask for business registration numbers, etc...if you are registering as a company (sometimes they will ask you to fax in or email a copy of the business registration). They used to take a few days to check if the domain name is being contested for (usually not). Then you are done...

Once you have found a host for your content then get the server addresses etc...and forward it to nic.lk and they will route the traffic accordingly (actually they had an online admin site to set these up but was buggy...don't know if it is fixed now).

Hi..no we have already obtained a domain and the site is functioning... what I need to do is to get the business registered as a company (partnership) , not to obtain the domain :) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

what precise information do you need?

You want to know how to register a WEBSITE as a business? How it works is, you REGISTER THE BUSINESS FIRST, using the info that you obtained from google.

Then register the website as a trademark. This step is not necessary, because once you buy the URL, its yours anyway as long as you keep paying for the domain name every year.

they haven't specified in google, where I should obtain the forms and where I should hand over the filled forms with my partners signature etc. 

4 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

Hi..no we have already obtained a domain and the site is functioning... what I need to do is to get the business registered as a company (partnership) , not to obtain the domain :) 

Oh..call the registrar of companies...

www.drc.gov.lk/

their website has the general info but somethings are a bit outdated. Depending on the type you will need to give different documentation (e.g. like articles of incorporation, etc...). Going this way is quite labor intensive and takes time. 

Alternatively you can look in to just registering it as a home business with your pradeshiya sabhava (I am pressuming they still do it). 

Edited by iRage

6 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

they haven't specified in google, where I should obtain the forms and where I should hand over the filled forms with my partners signature etc. 

Go to a montessori and learn to read before you learn to do business.

http://www.drc.gov.lk/app/comreg.nsf/eb209294bae3f1a0462573f4001cad99?OpenForm

Read the whole page and you will find the address at the bottom. 

or you can ask an agent to do it on your behalf. Agents exist for lazy people like you. Go to ikm*n and search for 'company registration'. you will find many agents.

@iRage local authority will accept registrations as sole proprietorships and partnerships. not as limited liability companies. The process (though it looks outdated), remains same.

Edit: I would highly recommend registering it as a limited liability company. If you plan to expand and obtain bank loans in the future (even for personal reasons), this will be useful.

Edited by Crosswind

5 minutes ago, iRage said:

Oh..call the registrar of companies...

www.drc.gov.lk/

their website has the general info but somethings are a bit outdated. Depending on the type you will need to give different documentation (e.g. like articles of incorporation, etc...). Going this way is quite labor intensive and takes time. 

Alternatively you can look in to just registering it as a home business with your pradeshiya sabhava (I am pressuming they still do it). 

yes, that's exactly the thing wanted to do.. the pradheshiya sabaa thing :)

3 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

@iRage local authority will accept registrations as sole proprietorships and partnerships. not as limited liability companies. The process (though it looks outdated), remains same.

Yes....which is why I figured alternatively this would be what he needs since it is a partnership. Besides..seriously doubt PL will go to the extent of registering an actual company and write up AOIs, etc... :D

I registered one of our family projects as such...only took a few days...most of which was spent in a line or stuck in traffic :D

4 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

Go to the Pradheshiya sabahava...they have a form that is big....just fill it in. You need to give an address for your office. Which can be your house. If it is your house you need to show proof that you live there (bills, etc..sent to your name), plus if the house belongs to your parents a letter from your parents (or who ever the owner is) stating they have no objection to you operating out of there. If the house is your's show the title/deed, tax payment receipts etc. If you are renting the house..get a letter from the land owner.

Depending on the nature of your business you will need to furnish certain other documentation. But not that difficult....

I can't remember...you have to get it signed by your gramasevaka as well...

plus copies of your IDs, etc...

Just go to your PS !

Edited by iRage

3 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

You can get that also done through an agent

3 minutes ago, iRage said:

Yes....which is why I figured alternatively this would be what he needs since it is a partnership. Besides..seriously doubt PL will go to the extent of registering an actual company and write up AOIs, etc... :D

I registered one of our family projects as such...only took a few days...most of which was spent in a line or stuck in traffic :D

I seem to have high hopes for this guy :D

5 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Go to a montessori and learn to read before you learn to do business.

http://www.drc.gov.lk/app/comreg.nsf/eb209294bae3f1a0462573f4001cad99?OpenForm

Read the whole page and you will find the address at the bottom. 

or you can ask an agent to do it on your behalf. Agents exist for lazy people like you. Go to ikm*n and search for 'company registration'. you will find many agents.

Edit: I would highly recommend registering it as a limited liability company. If you plan to expand and obtain bank loans in the future (even for personal reasons), this will be useful.

in this link it says that I need to have a name verification document.. but these guidelines are for a PVT company right? for partnerships also do I need to have a name verification doc, when im doing it through the pradheshiya sabba thing?

33 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

in this link it says that I need to have a name verification document.. but these guidelines are for a PVT company right? for partnerships also do I need to have a name verification doc, when im doing it through the pradheshiya sabba thing?

I don't think so....

Dude....instead of trying to register a company by reading online posts....go out there and get the information and go through the process. That by itself is a very enlightening experience.

Edited by iRage

21 minutes ago, Quiet said:

since you are registering a music related business you can get it done on the same day. For some businesses you need PHI approval etc. good luck

Ah is it.. so basically I obtain a form from pradeshiya sabbawa, fill the shit and give it to pradeshiya sabaawa with the money.. so in that case the company registration, can be obtained by the pradeshiya sabaawa on the same day itself?

dude you are bit confused. Three types of business registrations

1. Propriotorship

2. Partnership

3. Limited Liability company.

You can open operate and obtain facilities under any of the above registrations from banks. Tax implications are different for each and has benefits if you have limited liability company. However there is an annual fee of Rs.60,000/- now, so better off getting 1 or 2 if its a new business like i did.

16 minutes ago, Quiet said:

dude you are bit confused. Three types of business registrations

1. Propriotorship

2. Partnership

3. Limited Liability company.

You can open operate and obtain facilities under any of the above registrations from banks. Tax implications are different for each and has benefits if you have limited liability company. However there is an annual fee of Rs.60,000/- now, so better off getting 1 or 2 if its a new business like i did.

I see... yeah i obtained the PARTNERSHIP forms from the pradeshiya sabaawa... they had 2 forms... one to be filled and singed by the gramasewaka and the other to be filled by us.. filled those already... will be going to give the forms back to the pradeshiya sabaawa now.. when i checked around, said that some 2500 or something needs to be paid once the pradheshiya sabaawa issues the registration am i correct?

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 11:15 AM, PreseaLover said:

I see... yeah i obtained the PARTNERSHIP forms from the pradeshiya sabaawa... they had 2 forms... one to be filled and singed by the gramasewaka and the other to be filled by us.. filled those already... will be going to give the forms back to the pradeshiya sabaawa now.. when i checked around, said that some 2500 or something needs to be paid once the pradheshiya sabaawa issues the registration am i correct?

Machang, not sure about the 'Prdeshiya Sabbawa' methods, but you can visit the Department for Comapny Registration (Registrar of Companies) & get it done.www.drc.gov.lk/

You can even get the assistance of a lawyer or a Company who handle these matters. Better you go through a personal recomendation. (If you want I can refer you to a firm) They will handle all matters pertaining to the registration & you will have to pay a Professional fee apart from fees imposed by the Registrar.

It's better if you register as a PVT LTD Company. It will give you some benefits over several legal terms when it comes to Music Piracy, Copyrights, etc. (This is my personal opinion & I'm not an expert in Law)