• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda City 2001 - Rear suspension noise

PerfMad

Hi Experts

I'm currently having a Honda City 2001 vtec model car, and like month ago i went to do my wheel alignment to Car ***e and found out rear left shock had 0 gas on it, so they asked me to replace mine and come back for the alignment. Therefore I went and bought 2 Tokico shocks and replaced em. However, before shock replacement I had a daga daga noise whenever i go through a shitty road..

Initially i thought this was due to bad shocks, but even after replacing my shocks i was keep getting that same noise from same side. Then i though this could be due to back spare wheel  plywood board, and tried removing everything. But noise was there.. So last saturday i went to my garage and asked my mech to check it, then he went down and checked and he said links are weak so need to replace (because it was making some noise after shaking), then i replaced both sides with genuine items which were bought from Tec motors, and even after that i was getting the same noise..

Then he went under the car and asked me to "car eka podak padanna" i did it couple of times so that he can identify the root cause.. But he wasnt able to..

I took the car as i wanted to go somewhere and needed the car so badly. I told i will bring it back on friday. He said needs to remove left shockabsober again and see..

What do you guys think could be the root cause for this sound?
Is there workaround to verify the root cause before replacing anything else further ?

Hoping to hear from all of you, since i don't wanna replace anything even though its worn out, unless that is what making the noise..

Cheers

PerfMad

Were the shockabsorber mounts replaced during the repair? Since the old shock didn't provide any damping, the mount would have taken a beating. If it was damaged even slightly and reused, there's a possibility that it could be the cause of the sound.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davy said:

Were the shockabsorber mounts replaced during the repair? Since the old shock didn't provide any damping, the mount would have taken a beating. If it was damaged even slightly and reused, there's a possibility that it could be the cause of the sound.

Hi Davy - Nope, i just bought the shocks only, since care care people told. I just asked my mechanic to get it fixed.. Is there any possibility to identify this is the exact issue, without replacing the shock mount as well? And also if the left side is faulty, is it good to replace left shock mount ONLY? or do I have to replace both together ?

20 minutes ago, PerfMad said:

Hi Davy - Nope, i just bought the shocks only, since care care people told. I just asked my mechanic to get it fixed.. Is there any possibility to identify this is the exact issue, without replacing the shock mount as well? And also if the left side is faulty, is it good to replace left shock mount ONLY? or do I have to replace both together ?

Suspension noises (and other noises in general) is a bit difficult to diagnose without inspecting the vehicle in person. My response above was simply to guide you to check the shock mounts. However, when replacing struts, it's better to replace the mounts even if there is the slightest indication of wear. This is to prevent having to remove the shocks again to replace just the mounts. 

Regarding your question about replacing mounts on both side - yes, replace mounts on both sides, It is important to maintain proper suspension geometry, even at the rear. Get it diagnosed by a proper mechanic first.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davy said:

Suspension noises (and other noises in general) is a bit difficult to diagnose without inspecting the vehicle in person. My response above was simply to guide you to check the shock mounts. However, when replacing struts, it's better to replace the mounts even if there is the slightest indication of wear. This is to prevent having to remove the shocks again to replace just the mounts. 

Regarding your question about replacing mounts on both side - yes, replace mounts on both sides, It is important to maintain proper suspension geometry, even at the rear. Get it diagnosed by a proper mechanic first.

Just to add to what u mentioned, he did kept an oil seal for both shock mounts (if thats what connects from inside diky, and tightened the nut saying this should omit any sound if its coming from the shock mount.. but it didnt help either..

So as per you there isnt anyother way than replacing to check noise is there or not?

Can you direct me to a good place to get these checked, before replacing? (only if there is no other way to diagnose this issue properly) ??

5 minutes ago, PerfMad said:

Just to add to what u mentioned, he did kept an oil seal for both shock mounts (if thats what connects from inside diky, and tightened the nut saying this should omit any sound if its coming from the shock mount.. but it didnt help either..

So as per you there isnt anyother way than replacing to check noise is there or not?

Can you direct me to a good place to get these checked, before replacing? (only if there is no other way to diagnose this issue properly) ??

You don't need to blindly replace it. It can be removed and visually inspected determine if it's damaged or if the bushes inside the mount are broken. Remember, this is just one possibility.

From memory, the City has a multi-link suspension setup at the back, so a lot more links and bushes that move around to keep the car stable. A more sophisticated design from an average Toyota, but given the age of the car, it probably needs a bit of TLC. So put the car up on a hoist and inspect each link and the ends to make sure that all bushes and linkages are in good condition.

As for a garage, I'm afraid being overseas for over two years has distanced me from knowledge about the best places around. Hope another member can help out. You can check out the Mechanics/Workshops thread as well.

11 minutes ago, Davy said:

You don't need to blindly replace it. It can be removed and visually inspected determine if it's damaged or if the bushes inside the mount are broken. Remember, this is just one possibility.

From memory, the City has a multi-link suspension setup at the back, so a lot more links and bushes that move around to keep the car stable. A more sophisticated design from an average Toyota, but given the age of the car, it probably needs a bit of TLC. So put the car up on a hoist and inspect each link and the ends to make sure that all bushes and linkages are in good condition.

As for a garage, I'm afraid being overseas for over two years has distanced me from knowledge about the best places around. Hope another member can help out. You can check out the Mechanics/Workshops thread as well.

Thanks for the explanation Davy. I will get it checked, and i'll make sure they inspect it properly than replacing parts blindly.. And ya this has a bit of a complex suspension design .. will see how it goes..