• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gearbox - Lancer C12

Iced-T

Question

Help!

I had to do a clutch and pressure plate replacement for my car so I put it in the garage. 

While the mechanic were removing the parts they found cracks on my flywheel.

So he advised me to put in a reconditioned flywheel for the car. I agreed.

So the car now has a reconditioned flywheel, new clutch plate, new pressure plate.

After connecting the entire thing up the gears were not falling in. So this mechanic removes everything again and REMOVES the gearbox!!! 

He then tells me that some links and some balls inside the gear box needs to be replaced. What can I do... I had to go ahead with it. 

Then after fitting back the whole thing he test drove the car and calls me and says gears 1, 3 and 5 fall in but gears 2 ,4 and reverse grind! 

I then visit the garage after work and I found out that this man has gone and bent my gear link ( one of the long links from the gear lever to the gearbox) to try and make the gears fall in.

But still gears 2, 4 and reverse dont fall in. 

On top of all the damage above the guy has done some welding at the gear mount (see pic) and due to the heat the rubber mount has broken as well. 

I took the vehicle out of the garage immediately. But I need someone who can help me to fix my car! 

I have got screwed so badly!!! This was a perfectly working car before this guy touched it!

Please help!!!

Regards,

Iced-T

IMG_20161030_173146.jpg

IMG_20161116_090704.jpg

IMG_20161116_090833.jpg

Edited by Iced-T
spelling error

18 answers to this question

where do u live machan? if you are around colombo, and dont mind taking this to Nawala, i can give u my mechs contact no to get it sorted.. or else you may try Nilwala motors for gearbox related repairs 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, carboy2011 said:

I know a good chap in Col 5 PM me if u need his details

I have also had similar experiences with terrible local bass fellows before,btw where is this garage of urs who screwed it?

The garage is in Orugodawatta... the mechanic really doesnt know his stuff and I think he was experimenting on my car. I dont know why he removed the gearbox!  I was speechless wen I saw it out.

I was recommended someone at colombo-5 as well... could you please send me the details. The car is now parked in Ja-ela I dont mind bringing it to colombo if the mechanic is a trusted guy.

Edited by Iced-T

11 hours ago, PerfMad said:

where do u live machan? if you are around colombo, and dont mind taking this to Nawala, i can give u my mechs contact no to get it sorted.. or else you may try Nilwala motors for gearbox related repairs 

Hi PerfMad,

Can you please pm me the details of the guy in Nawala.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, Iced-T said:

Hi TT,

If I need to replace the gearbox... any idea how much it will cost, roughly?

10 hours ago, Iced-T said:

Hi TT,

If I need to replace the gearbox... any idea how much it will cost, roughly?

Allready on it bro, Hunting for one as I type,..

Here is an update on what happened today at the garage:

I took it to a garage in Narahenpita (recommended by 3 people that I personally know)  for the owner to inspect the car. Until he came, the garage mechanic got into the vehicle to test the gears. While he was shifting through the gears, the gear got stuck into one position, and we couldn't seem to get the gear out.  

The mechanic went under the car and was fiddling about but still couldnt get the gear back to neutral. The owner of the garage then comes, hears the news and says they need to open the gears box (omg!) to get the gear back into neutral.

This is the first time this has ever happened to this car! :(

He managed to get the car back into neutral after opening it up.. but it seems that wen he tests the gears there is some play in the levers and this is the cause for the gear to get stuck.  

He is now asking for 35 000 Rs to fix the gearbox.  He says he is able to get a reconditioned unit for 60 000Rs and is advising me to put that. 

I have not agreed to anything yet, but the car is in 2 pieces .

From the looks of it these are my options:

1. I can go with the garage owner fixing the gearbox for 35000Rs but he doesnt give me a guarantee that it will work.

2. I can go with the re-con unit for 60 000Rs, but then what will I do with an extra gear box?!?! (this will come with a 3 month warranty).

3. I can get the garage  to put back the whole thing as it was and pray that the gears dont get stuck again.

- To me the garage owner does not seem to know how to fix this... he gives me vague answers and doesnt know the reason for the play in the levers... he keeps saying that he needs to dismantle the thing piece by piece to fix the gearbox.. he also says he needs to send some pieces to get it lathed. 

This gearbox never had a problem before!!! how did all this happen?Any advice?  also are these rates too high?  the gear wheels are perfect. 

27 minutes ago, Jor-el said:

Any updates on this?

Hi.. I didnt open the gearbox but I decided on a purchasing a reconditioned unit. I found a unit in Panchikawatta for 30,000 Rs with a 6 months warranty.  The shop only sells gearboxes....anyway I trusted this guy and put the recon gearbox in. 

I got it installed at the garage in Narahenpita.

It was a delayed decision, but I think it was the correct one to make. The car works well and all gears fall in smoothly. I have been driving it for about 3 months with an average of about 70km of running per day. 

Everything related to the gearbox in this car has been replaced. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davy said:

No. What seems to be the issue?

When the car is cold, shifting from gear 1 to 2  and down shifting from 2 to 1 is  difficult. Its slots in though but its just a bit difficult to engage (no grinding or anything)

But when the car is driven for about 10 minutes it sorts its self out and the shifting is fluid. 

I am aware that the oil needs to be sloshed around a bit for the gears to get lubricated properly.

But  I was wondering shouldnt the gearbox oil have a minimum or optimum operating temperature? ( for example when the ignition is switched on the gearbox oil starts to warm up ).

Regards,

Iced-T

32 minutes ago, Iced-T said:

When the car is cold, shifting from gear 1 to 2  and down shifting from 2 to 1 is  difficult. Its slots in though but its just a bit difficult to engage (no grinding or anything)

But when the car is driven for about 10 minutes it sorts its self out and the shifting is fluid. 

I am aware that the oil needs to be sloshed around a bit for the gears to get lubricated properly.

But  I was wondering shouldnt the gearbox oil have a minimum or optimum operating temperature? ( for example when the ignition is switched on the gearbox oil starts to warm up ).

Regards,

Iced-T

Any idea about what transmission oil you're using? Also, was this issue experienced after the repair or was this a recent development?

Hi Davy,

I have been always using ceypetco 90 gear oil for this car.

This was always the case on cold mornings with this reconditioned gearbox. These few days it has been quite cold in the mornings maybe thats why I feel it more.

I dont recall anything like this with the original gearbox.