• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

buying a jimny

shehan874

Question

People with knoledge,

I fell in love with Jimmy. All day I'm reading about jimny, but instead of having the theoritical knowledge i lack the practical experience. So this is where your valuable ideas are in need.

Few questions I have

1. Will I face a lot of trouble by buying the old Jimmy made in 2000?

2. How much will it cost me to replace the engine if I bought an engine for 50,000.

3. I've read that the spares are available but has anyone had trouble finding spares?

4. Finally, should I buy a march k11 instead, because my friend is telling me it will give me less trouble.

Thank u in advance people. Awaiting your opinions.

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, shehan874 said:

People with knoledge,

I fell in love with Jimmy. All day I'm reading about jimny, but instead of having the theoritical knowledge i lack the practical experience. So this is where your valuable ideas are in need.

Few questions I have

1. Will I face a lot of trouble by buying the old Jimmy made in 2000?

2. How much will it cost me to replace the engine if I bought an engine for 50,000.

3. I've read that the spares are available but has anyone had trouble finding spares?

4. Finally, should I buy a march k11 instead, because my friend is telling me it will give me less trouble.

Thank u in advance people. Awaiting your opinions.

1. Only Sumanadasa can answer that question. If you buy a badly maintained 2015 Allion, you will face trouble. If you buy a badly maintained 2015 Benz, you will face trouble. If you buy a badly maintained 2000 Jimny, you will face trouble. If you buy a well maintained <any car> of <any age>, you will not face trouble.

2. Seriously what the f*ck is wrong with you? Why do you want to think about replacing the engine even before buying the vehicle. Jimnys have known issues with the 4WD system and known issues with the gearbox ECU (which may materialize in SOME Jimnys). Both are well-known in Sri Lanka and there are known remedies. I have never heard of any engine issue with Jimnys.

3. They are not as common as Axios and FB15s so spares are not as common as those vehicles, but YOU WILL find spares for Jimnys. You may face some problems finding interior plastics and some body panels but the drivetrain parts shouldnt be a problem.

4. Your friend is retarded. Get a new friend.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

AFAIK, the Jimny came with the same engine (G13/M13) as the Swift, so engine components will be easy as to find. Obviously, being a 4WD, the drive-train is a bit more complex compared to a little FWD car (March). But it is a such a simple car that any makabass could work on it. To avoid disappointment and potential surprises, it is always advisable for a potential owner to get to know the car before letting a makabass wrench on it. :D

Edited by MrCat
  • Like 1

Hello shehan874

I think with your mates you lost the spot, Why you need a 4WD? if you looking something A to B go for a car but if you want to do serious 4WD (near serious) go for the Jimny.

Trust me it will follow the same tracks with LR until get stuck 

Cons: it is 2 door, sit's 3200 RPM at 100km 5th gear on manual also runs on bit high RPM, Bit hard to find gear box parts in SL (No issues with engine parts), ride is bit bumpy 

Pros: Capable 4WD, Still cheap to buy in SL compared to other models, separate transfer box, solid axle

I think your mate was talking about 650 cc Jap import, please stay away from that and go for 1.3 engine and you should be all good.

regards

JC

• Like 1

On 11/11/2016 at 9:00 AM, john cooper said:

Hello shehan874

I think with your mates you lost the spot, Why you need a 4WD? if you looking something A to B go for a car but if you want to do serious 4WD (near serious) go for the Jimny.

Trust me it will follow the same tracks with LR until get stuck 

Cons: it is 2 door, sit's 3200 RPM at 100km 5th gear on manual also runs on bit high RPM, Bit hard to find gear box parts in SL (No issues with engine parts), ride is bit bumpy 

Pros: Capable 4WD, Still cheap to buy in SL compared to other models, separate transfer box, solid axle

I think your mate was talking about 650 cc Jap import, please stay away from that and go for 1.3 engine and you should be all good.

regards

JC

Hmm i wanted a multi terrain vehicle which is capable of taking me anyware*. but finally i decided not to buy a jimny or a march, instead i started a FD. in two years im gonna buy a jeep 4x4 4 Doors ample space for my tent and generator and other stuff. Hopefully it'll be an Xtrail or smting at around 3M. it was one hard decision nut had to take it. Thank u for your valuable comment hope many people will read this and learn a thing or two. cheers.

On 11/8/2016 at 8:16 PM, Crosswind said:

1. Only Sumanadasa can answer that question. If you buy a badly maintained 2015 Allion, you will face trouble. If you buy a badly maintained 2015 Benz, you will face trouble. If you buy a badly maintained 2000 Jimny, you will face trouble. If you buy a well maintained <any car> of <any age>, you will not face trouble.

2. Seriously what the f*ck is wrong with you? Why do you want to think about replacing the engine even before buying the vehicle. Jimnys have known issues with the 4WD system and known issues with the gearbox ECU (which may materialize in SOME Jimnys). Both are well-known in Sri Lanka and there are known remedies. I have never heard of any engine issue with Jimnys.

3. They are not as common as Axios and FB15s so spares are not as common as those vehicles, but YOU WILL find spares for Jimnys. You may face some problems finding interior plastics and some body panels but the drivetrain parts shouldnt be a problem.

4. Your friend is retarded. Get a new friend.

Thank u for your valuable comment hope many people will read this and learn a thing or two. cheers.