• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

is riding comfort depend on tyre Quality/brand

Randeewa

Hi Experts

I need some advice for my tires. I have read lots of threads related to this topic on the forum. But i need expert advice to replace my tires.

When i brought my car one year ago it was fixed with brand new 4 tires. It was Chinese brand (BCT S600) and i knew previous owner fixed those just to sell the car. I am a daily runner average 40 km per day and now done 12000km. treads of the all 4 tires are totally gone and every time i visit to Tyre shops for check air or wheel alignment they says  the tires are bad and rubber is very hard.  But i know it can run further few thousand kilo meters.

The my question is this is the reason for low riding comfort and high road noise i am experiencing form my car? The recommended Tyre size is 165/65/R15 but existing size is 185/65/R15 is this also a reason? Can i get noticeable difference if i replace the tires with good brand and correct size. also previous owner has replaced the original alloy wheels with Chinese brand ( I don't know why hell he was done it) is that make trouble when put correct Tyre size?

Is this Chinese BCT S600 is actually bad brand? what are the good quality tire brands for my car. Car is Chevrolet Cruze.

Advises are highly appreciated. 

IMG_20161031_073132.jpg

IMG_20161031_073144.jpg

IMG_20161031_073217.jpg

IMG_20161031_073451.jpg

Edited by Randeewa

First of all the vertical lines in the marked area are called tread wear indicators,  if this and the rest of your tires tread are on the same level then it's time to change tires. 

Secondly your tires outer edge has not worn evenly indicating some issue with alignment or suspension . 

Getting to the point of comfort depending on tires there is a bit of a complex answer. Yes comfort can change drastically based on the tires but a lot still depends on the suspension geometry of your car and spring rates. Can you change the way your car absorbs bumps with new tires ? Yes but you can't give an Alto the ride of a Merc s class. I hope you understand the limitations. 

The other thing is ride comfort is not brand depended, it depend on the particular tire model of the brand and its intended purpose. 

Let me break it down for you. For comfort you want a soft compound tire with soft sidewalls so both the contact surface and sidewalls absorb the impact in addition to your cars springs. The negative side of this is you will get some bodyroll and car will feel floaty. 

For better grip tyres with soft contact surfaces but harder sidewalls are better since soft compound helps in grip (they get stickier as tires heat up)  and stronger sidewalls reduces bodyroll. 

For long lasting tires you want hard compound rubber on the contact surface.

Road noise will definitely be better if you go for a good brand like bridgestone, dunlop, Goodyear etc.

You can try bridgestone ecopia tires if comfort and road noise is your primary goals at the cost of grip. Dunlop Sp touring tires are also good.

As for the tire size change looks like the previous owner has increased the tire width, this will result in lower fuel economy but marginally better grip. Impact on comfort from the width increase can go both ways, you might glide over smaller pith holes because of the added width or you could hit a bump, pebble that you wouldnt have hit if your tires were narrow. Upto you to decide. 

sketch-1477906674389.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jerryda said:

Try  a reputed brand and change the tyre size to 185/60R15.

http://www.rankingthebrands.com/The-Brand-Rankings.aspx?rankingID=292&nav=category

What does the brands ranking have to do with ops question?  

Short answer is yes. I had a set of crappy tyres (Don't remember the brand) on my car when I bought it as well. I replaced them with a set of Silverstones. While they aren't the best tyres around, they did make a noticeable improvement on ride quality.

If you go for a decent brand and variant, you can find plenty of reviews online which can help you gauge factors such as comfort, wear, grip and road noise; specific to that tyre. This way you can make a more informed decision.

• Like 1

Then there's this question whether there's a quality difference based on the country of origin of the same brand, same spec...Bridgestone Indonesia vs Japan. Dunlop Japan, Thailand, Indonesia. For example, isn't it that the Indonesian Ecopia 200 is less expensive than the same from Japan? Wonder why there is a quality difference for the same brand based on the plant where it is manufactured.

4 hours ago, The Stig said:

First of all the vertical lines in the marked area are called tread wear indicators,  if this and the rest of your tires tread are on the same level then it's time to change tires. 

Secondly your tires outer edge has not worn evenly indicating some issue with alignment or suspension . 

Getting to the point of comfort depending on tires there is a bit of a complex answer. Yes comfort can change drastically based on the tires but a lot still depends on the suspension geometry of your car and spring rates. Can you change the way your car absorbs bumps with new tires ? Yes but you can't give an Alto the ride of a Merc s class. I hope you understand the limitations. 

The other thing is ride comfort is not brand depended, it depend on the particular tire model of the brand and its intended purpose. 

Let me break it down for you. For comfort you want a soft compound tire with soft sidewalls so both the contact surface and sidewalls absorb the impact in addition to your cars springs. The negative side of this is you will get some bodyroll and car will feel floaty. 

For better grip tyres with soft contact surfaces but harder sidewalls are better since soft compound helps in grip (they get stickier as tires heat up)  and stronger sidewalls reduces bodyroll. 

For long lasting tires you want hard compound rubber on the contact surface.

Road noise will definitely be better if you go for a good brand like bridgestone, dunlop, Goodyear etc.

You can try bridgestone ecopia tires if comfort and road noise is your primary goals at the cost of grip. Dunlop Sp touring tires are also good.

As for the tire size change looks like the previous owner has increased the tire width, this will result in lower fuel economy but marginally better grip. Impact on comfort from the width increase can go both ways, you might glide over smaller pith holes because of the added width or you could hit a bump, pebble that you wouldnt have hit if your tires were narrow. Upto you to decide. 

sketch-1477906674389.png

Thank you very much The Stig for your detailed explanation. That's what i exactly needed. Of course i understand the limitations.  Yes comfort and road noise is my primary goals. So I definitely go for bridgestone ecopia or Dunlop.

Thanks Hoonigan for your comment.

I will change my tyers asap.