• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Check Engine Warning - Hilux Vigo

Kasun Tharaka

Question

Hi,

I own a 2010 Hilux Vigo 3L cab. I was travelling down to Colombo from Matara via southern Expy and my speed was about 100 Kmph. I went behind a passenger bus for about 5-10 min and wanted to overtake the bus since it's blocking my view and that's kinda annoying. So I pushed my cab about 110-115 Kmph and suddenly I felt a power drop (lost some pulling power). When I checked the dashboard, I noticed that the "check engine" warning popped up. I again backed up to the left lane and tried several times pushing the gas but the vehicle is not responding to the level I push the accelerator. 

Then I reached to the Welipanna Service Area and switched off the engine and checked for any oil leakages or any unusual smells coming out (from wire shorts etc). But couldn't find anythin wrong. So I started the engine after about 10 minutes and noticed that the check engine warning was disappeared. Then I checked the status of the pulling power at some vacant area of the car park and it was came back to normal. Then I started my journey again and the vehicle was behaving normal and the previous pulling power was restored. Tried up to 140Kmph and had no issue.

What I wanted to ask from the experts here is, I suspect something went wrong with my Turbo and came back to normal. Is anyone out there who experienced such issue? Can there be any other reason causing sudden power drops like this?

Thanks in Advance

Kasun W 

2 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Kasun Tharaka said:

Hi,

I own a 2010 Hilux Vigo 3L cab. I was travelling down to Colombo from Matara via southern Expy and my speed was about 100 Kmph. I went behind a passenger bus for about 5-10 min and wanted to overtake the bus since it's blocking my view and that's kinda annoying. So I pushed my cab about 110-115 Kmph and suddenly I felt a power drop (lost some pulling power). When I checked the dashboard, I noticed that the "check engine" warning popped up. I again backed up to the left lane and tried several times pushing the gas but the vehicle is not responding to the level I push the accelerator. 

Then I reached to the Welipanna Service Area and switched off the engine and checked for any oil leakages or any unusual smells coming out (from wire shorts etc). But couldn't find anythin wrong. So I started the engine after about 10 minutes and noticed that the check engine warning was disappeared. Then I checked the status of the pulling power at some vacant area of the car park and it was came back to normal. Then I started my journey again and the vehicle was behaving normal and the previous pulling power was restored. Tried up to 140Kmph and had no issue.

What I wanted to ask from the experts here is, I suspect something went wrong with my Turbo and came back to normal. Is anyone out there who experienced such issue? Can there be any other reason causing sudden power drops like this?

Thanks in Advance

Kasun W 

Hi,

You could scan the vehicle with a proper OBD II vehicle scanner  and check whether the Error is still in the ECU as a History record. Check it first then you will be able to pin point the issue.

• Like 2