• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hyundai Grand i10

bagUrE

1 hour ago, bagUrE said:

Anyone has experience using Hyundai Grand i10?

Saw a newspaper article today stating it is coming from Korea, but it looks like an Indian make. Has lots of good features for the price as it seems.

The brochure itself says Hyundai Motor India Ltd. I have my serious doubts about it coming from Korea. Ask them you need proof (such as shipping documents).

It's coming from India but the agents claim that most of the parts of the vehicle are made in Korea. (Which I highly doubt).

It comes with indonesian Hankook tires though. 

The built quality is okay. The doors are quite thick & heavy. It doesn't have that budget feeling. But when you are driving it, you get the Indian feeling. 

Power is not that good but manageable. It comes with a tiptronic gear box & its proper automatic. Not the "Auto Shift" that you get in the Celerio & the Alto K10. 

There are 2 variants in it. The basic model is Rs.2,990,000 (Inclduing registration & revenue license chargers) & the fully loaded is Rs.3,250,000. The differences of the fully loaded variant when compared to the basic variant are as follows -

• Rear power windows 

• Power mirrors 

•Remote locking, remote boot lid opener & flip key. (The same key that the Tucson & the Santa Fe has)

• Alloy wheels 

• Driver's side airbag 

• Fog lights 

A JVC DVD player with a reverse camera comes standard  (it's fixed in SL)

And there is an AC went for the rear too. (Even in the basic model) Something which you would not expect from a car of this class. 

I've attached some pictures which I took when it was displayed at the Arcade Independance Square  

IMG_8030.JPG

IMG_8025.JPG

IMG_8026.JPG

IMG_8029.JPG

The car used by one of the largest taxi companies here in Vietnam is the Grand i10 (both sedan and hatch) with the 1.2L engine and MT.

I used four taxis regularly (the taxi guys "sit" at the taxi stand of where I live) over the last 5 months on a daily basis. One was bought in February and has 67000kms the last I saw it and the other three which are 2-3 years old have 200000kms+ (one has 273000km).

The drivers (who are also the owners who lease it from the taxi company) seem to be happy with it....apart from minor things like door handles breaking or the power window switch stalling the wners say the car has not broken down on them. Even those broken bits they attribute it to the riders they pick up being careless. Apart from the routine service only things they claim to have  done are:

- replaced brake pads (one guy said he replaced the brake rotors)

- clutch 

- front shocks (I don't know why they didn't mention the rear...they either just didn't bother to mention or it hadn't been swapped ?)

- one guy had replaced gaskets and oil seals etc...

- timing chain swaps.

- apparently Hyundai Vietnam called them over for some check-ups a few times

So basically what had been done are routine stuff (don't forget that although these cars are 2-3 years old they all have HIGH mileages).

The Grand i10 in Vietnam is imported from India. Even when Hyundai has an assembly plant here they bring it from India. Also, Vietnam is Left Hand driven, so one wold think it was more sensible to bring it down from Korea (if it was actually assembled there..which, TBH, I doubt)

As a passenger, the car feels plasticy but seems to be well equipped. Buttons, door handles, etc feel rather flimsy and feels like it will break off if you are a constantly brutal with them. The ride is pretty smooth (for its size) and the seats are pretty comfy although I don't like the material (might be because of the taxi spec?). Rear seat is pretty high so when you sit on it the legs are ent enough to give you some decent leg space/placement. the front however feels a bit cramped.

Noise insulation seems to be on the low side so you get engine and road noise (again...maybe higher grade models might be better insulated ?). Also, certain body panels are plastic (no..not the water bottle kind), had several motorbikes hit on us (which seems to be a norm) but no visible damage seems to occur. However, when you close the doors, etc, it feels a bit off (kind of like slamming a lunch box lid).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NRA95 said:

It's coming from India but the agents claim that most of the parts of the vehicle are made in Korea. (Which I highly doubt).

Actually there is some truth to that....some components are made in Korea as they are shared with i30, etc...

According to the agent, engine + gear box + some components from Korea and assembled in India. They import  only 1.0L versions  for Sri Lankan market (Not 1.2L versions). Below is the brouchre they sent me with quotation by email.

Gi10 1.jpg

Grand i10  2.jpg

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Crosswind & Nishan - Thanks for your inputs. It seems it is from India, but definitely better than the Kwid and other models. EuroNCAP has given it a four star rating.

NRA & iRage - Thanks for the detailed posts.

Sampath - Thanks for the brochure. Did they mention about the warranty in the quotation?

33 minutes ago, bagUrE said:

Crosswind & Nishan - Thanks for your inputs. It seems it is from India, but definitely better than the Kwid and other models. EuroNCAP has given it a four star rating.

Sampath - Thanks for the brochure. Did they mention about the warranty in the quotation?

The 4-star rated i10 must be manufactured in a different country. Here's the rating for the Indian made i10. Guess what... it is a serious competitor for Kwid and redi-nathuwa-go for the fastest car to take you to the grave.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/made-in-india-hyundai-grand-i10-gets-zero-star-rating-by-latin-ncap-1217396

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/hyundai-i10-downgraded-in-asean-ncap-crash-test-rating-1278735

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bagUrE said:

Warranty : 3 Years Or 100,000 KM  

Regarding safety rating difference between two origins of same model : "Nangi pennla akka denawada?" :) 

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

14 minutes ago, Sampath Gunasekera said:

Warranty : 3 Years Or 100,000 KM  

Regarding safety rating difference between two origins of same model : "Nangi pennla akka denawada?" :) 

They did that with Hyundai Santro/Atos anyway. It's the same car but the Korean version was light years ahead in quality.

Thank god Hyundai hasn't tried to launch Kia brand in India. Otherwise we will end up getting pakis petti version of Kia Picanto also in Sri Lanka.

BTW Kia dealer actually tried to launch European-made Kia Proc'eed in Sri Lanka but it wasn't successful. 

If you want a brand new/unreg small car go for Picanto, Axia, Wagon R, Mira or worst case, Panda. Putting your loved ones' lives at risk is not worth any amount of extra money saved.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

BTW Kia dealer actually tried to launch European-made Kia Proc'eed in Sri Lanka but it wasn't successful. 

Isn't the Kia 'Ceed series a much larger car that is more in league with the RunX/Auris ? If I remember correct the smallest engine was a 1.4L engine...the 5 door was Ceed and the 3 door Pro'ceed and I think Europe got a convertible which was E'ceed or something...

11 hours ago, iRage said:

Isn't the Kia 'Ceed series a much larger car that is more in league with the RunX/Auris ? If I remember correct the smallest engine was a 1.4L engine...the 5 door was Ceed and the 3 door Pro'ceed and I think Europe got a convertible which was E'ceed or something...

Yup. True that. It's more of a Hyundai i20 (accent) competitor. Would love to own a Cee'd or a Pro'ceed but sadly c'eed is not available in SL and doubt that any of the 1 or 2 proc'eeds that came to SL will be on the second hand market soon.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, bagUrE said:

Saw this Nomad in the Motor Show recently. It comes in very weird colors isn't it?  There was a one with nickel color (shining) as well.

It is a sticker pasted by Unim* guys for the display items. I also asked that. 

They also apply stickers based on customer's request (color changed) and adding it to the registration book. (Though I am not interested) 

Ahh I never noticed that and was thinking how to do a touch up on these textured paints.

BTW, both KWID and RediGO were there  in the exhibition but no Grand i10 or Kia Picanto to see.

And there was a nice little electric car Mitsubishi iMIEV; looks like a Nano. Anyone using that?

Edited by bagUrE

23 minutes ago, bagUrE said:

Ahh I never noticed that and was thinking how to do a touch up on these textured paints.

BTW, both KWID and RediGO were there  in the exhibition but no Grand i10 or Kia Picanto to see.

And there was a nice little electric car Mitsubishi iMIEV; looks like a Nano. Anyone using that?

the i-Miev is rather popular (maybe slightly more than other very small electric cars like Reanult Zoe and citroen zero) in countries like Norway where they have free charging etc to encourage electric cars.. mostly they are used as the second vehicles for short drives. I've always wondered why iMiev's are almost non existent in SL. Maybe since it looks a bit similar to the nano :D 

Edited by matroska

20 hours ago, matroska said:

Maybe since it looks a bit similar to the nano

Agree with this. I have seen this car very rarely on our roads compared to Leaf. The price is lower than a Leaf as well as the range; that could be a possible reason too.

I checked the car at the Motor Show exhibition. The interior is not as good as a Leaf, I felt. But it is quite spacious to be used as a second car for daily office commute,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bagUrE said:

Agree with this. I have seen this car very rarely on our roads compared to Leaf. The price is lower than a Leaf as well as the range; that could be a possible reason too.

I checked the car at the Motor Show exhibition. The interior is not as good as a Leaf, I felt. But it is quite spacious to be used as a second car for daily office commute,

Yup it's quite ok for a daily drive. How much does it cost in SL  anyway?