• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

jmzsl

Question

I have 2008 lancer ex which I brought about 1.5 yrs back. about six months after I brought it some rattling noise came from front suspension system. So I took it to the agents and they said the problem is with the stabilizer bar links and they replaced it. when we did the test run after fixing majority of the noise but there were little noise. The technician said it was the rack ends and it also need to replace. So I replace the rack ends after about one month. But sadly noise was still there. Now the noise has become clearly noticeable and annoying. It only comes when driving slowly on rough roads. I think it is due to damaged steering rack because when I going through the pot holes i can feel the vibration in steering wheel. Also I saw in a E****ri forum someone said it was common problem of lancer ex.

So what is the opinion of you guys? Where I can get proper inspection? If I have to replace the steering rack where I can buy it other than the agents.( buying from the agents gonna cost me a fortune). Thanks in advance guys

15 answers to this question

First of all, I don't think this is a "common problem with the car", but depends on the condition of the roads you drive on frequently.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that the agent couldn't diagnose the issue properly. When the rack ends were replaced, we're the tie rod ends also replaced with them?

According to your description, my assumption is that the car was driven for some time with the noise which in turn affected the steering rack. Put the car on a hoist and check for excessive free play between the steering linkages. 

Depending on the extent of damage, you might be able to get the steering rack machined. 

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

I had a similar issue and turned out that I was missing the brake pad shims. Made quite a racket while driving on rough roads slowly. @Davy can confirm whether the Lancer EX has brake pad shims. What you can do is, next time you're experiencing the problem apply brakes gently. If the noise goes away, see whether the shims are in order. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sierra Charlie said:

I had a similar issue and turned out that I was missing the brake pad shims. Made quite a racket while driving on rough roads slowly. @Davy can confirm whether the Lancer EX has brake pad shims. What you can do is, next time you're experiencing the problem apply brakes gently. If the noise goes away, see whether the shims are in order. 

My RalliArt has shims, so I'm guessing the EX also has although brakes are a bit different between the two.

However, I doubt it's due to missing shims because OP says that the rattle can be felt through the steering.

42 minutes ago, Davy said:

My RalliArt has shims, so I'm guessing the EX also has although brakes are a bit different between the two.

However, I doubt it's due to missing shims because OP says that the rattle can be felt through the steering.

Oh yeah. Wasn't paying attention to that bit. But maybe try checking anyway? :)

Driving on a rough road and trying to identify steering/suspension issues is not exactly two things that go hand in hand is what I believe. But OP, pay attention to what @Davy says here. The amount of good advice he's given to me over the years is too much to remember. 

8 hours ago, Davy said:

First of all, I don't think this is a "common problem with the car", but depends on the condition of the roads you drive on frequently.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that the agent couldn't diagnose the issue properly. When the rack ends were replaced, we're the tie rod ends also replaced with them?

According to your description, my assumption is that the car was driven for some time with the noise which in turn affected the steering rack. Put the car on a hoist and check for excessive free play between the steering linkages. 

Depending on the extent of damage, you might be able to get the steering rack machined. 

Thanks for reply. As you mentioned I'm from kandy so i travel on pretty bad condition roads. 

Yea I replaced the Tie rods as well. I did that from different garage not from the agent. Inspected technician said rack ends and tie rods are fine and no need for change but I changed that anyway on agents technician advise.

I will visit the agents again and get a inspection done again. I will update the thread after the inspection

3 hours ago, Sierra Charlie said:

I will check that. Thanks

1 hour ago, jmzsl said:

I took the car to a mechanic and they said it's beyond repair and I have to replace it. Does anyone knows where I can find a reconditioned steering rack. Agent said it will cost about 3lacks.

EX 1.5 had EPS and that model was not sold in Japan, RHD were sold in Singapore / UK try your luck there

On 11/10/2016 at 11:31 AM, jmzsl said:

I took the car to a mechanic and they said it's beyond repair and I have to replace it. Does anyone knows where I can find a reconditioned steering rack. Agent said it will cost about 3lacks.

Hi...

Can you upload pictures of the faulty steering rack?

15 hours ago, Iced-T said:

Hi...

Can you upload pictures of the faulty steering rack?

sorry mate I didn't took any pictures. But from outside there is no visible defect. fault is inside the steering motor and I came to know that it is common problem in EPS in Sri Lanka due to our road condition.

Edited by jmzsl