• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Alto Brake Problem

petrolHead1

Question

Hi all, I bought a 2002 Japanese Alto 1 month back. This car was alright until yesterday night when I had to panic break to avoid a collision. I was travelling at around 40 kmph and the vehicle skid when I applied break. It felt like all the wheels locked up and the vehicle slid about 2 meters. The steering didn't work at this time. However, the car performs okay during slow breaking. Did any of you guys face this problem?? If so, how do you solve this. FYI, the ABS light doesn't come on in the dashboard. 

11 answers to this question

On 10/17/2016 at 9:10 AM, petrolHead1 said:

Apparently its not equipped. Can I install an ABS system to the car??

If the car did not come originally with ABS then you've got to accept it as it is. ABS does not make braking efficiency any better except when the wheels are locked. So it is just a matter of being careful and knowing the limits of the car when driving.

Wheels locking up and not being able to steer is the main reason why abs is fitted to cars,  given that your car doesnt have abs what you noticed is quite normal.

However your remedy to the problem doesn't make sense at all,  your wheels locked up since your brakes were able to stop the tires from rotating. That means there shouldn't be anything wrong with the brakes, no matter what you do to the brakes things will not get better. You need to identify the root cause of the problem, which is tires not being able to cope up with braking force. Since fitting abs is not practical the remedy is actually to change tires to a more gripier  and softer compound. 

I checked with my local mechanic. He says that this car is not equipped with ABS . :( I find it hard to believe since the vehicle came even with dual airbags. During the weekend I changed some parts in the braking system including brake shoes and brake pads and faced the front disks. However the problem remains. :( 

After driving sometime with the new braking system I feel a little bit of a difference. It feels more harder and progressive. The skidding is also reduced (Tested at around 50 kmph and skid about 2 feet). I guess as most you guys said, driving safety is the only option. Thanks a lot guys for your awsome replies!!! Cheers!!! :) 

16 hours ago, petrolHead1 said:

Hi guys, do you know the approx. price of the front disk rotors (both sides)? Since this vehicle has an Indian version, will I be able to use them? 

First of all, DO NOT economize on anything related to brakes. Always use genuine parts that are made for your car, unless you want to be this guy:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Crosswind