• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Swift starter motor malfunction

DKing

Question

Hi Guy,

I own a Suzuki swift 2005 (japan) beetle auto car, I bought this few months ago and didn't face major issues since last week.

Suddenly starter motor failed to respond on few occasions but after switching off and on, it did work.

Car has few other electronic errors such as seat belt indicator  and gear indicator light errors, they work sometimes but sometimes not.

I am wondering weather to go to a electrision or to do the regular service as it's has come closer.

Seek your valuable advice.

7 answers to this question

Hi DKING

Did you have any delays in starting the car prior to stater motor failure (may be like week or 2 prior, for an example you feel like it starts with difficulty, mostly you'll feel like weak battery sort of feeling) ?

For me it sounds like your starter motor bushes are gone (assuming battery is fine). 

Also check your battery terminal whether those are intact tight enough and both positive and negative terminal are clean (no oxide).. Cz last week i faced the same issue, as in my starter motor gave up , worked sometimes but not always.. Initially i thought battery is weak, but then I saw oxide in + terminal, and i cleaned it, and issue resolved.

Hi perfmad,

There's no such delay as I feel. 

Will clean the terminals and see today.

what do you think of other electrical failures? I mean seat belt indicator and gear light?

can u recommend someone around colombo to check my car's electrical system.

Thanks for the reply mate.

If the starter motor fails how would going to a service fix that issue? 

Anyway just check your keybarrel also since a loose connection there could result in the starter motor not firing. 

3 hours ago, DKing said:

Hi perfmad,

There's no such delay as I feel. 

Will clean the terminals and see today.

what do you think of other electrical failures? I mean seat belt indicator and gear light?

can u recommend someone around colombo to check my car's electrical system.

Thanks for the reply mate.

What is exactly the gear light issue? 

On 9/28/2016 at 11:00 AM, DKing said:

Hi Guy,

I own a Suzuki swift 2005 (japan) beetle auto car, I bought this few months ago and didn't face major issues since last week.

Suddenly starter motor failed to respond on few occasions but after switching off and on, it did work.

Car has few other electronic errors such as seat belt indicator  and gear indicator light errors, they work sometimes but sometimes not.

I am wondering weather to go to a electrision or to do the regular service as it's has come closer.

Seek your valuable advice.

how old is the battery? are you sure its the starter motor or the battery? I had a similar problem, turns out it was with my battery. check the battery first. plus starter motors arent that expensive. so dont worry :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jayanathkarunarathna said:

What is exactly the gear light issue? 

There is a backlight in the gear display, that goes on and off occasionally 

16 hours ago, effdog said:

how old is the battery? are you sure its the starter motor or the battery? I had a similar problem, turns out it was with my battery. check the battery first. plus starter motors arent that expensive. so dont worry :)

No idea, but it looks new and there's a indicator which says battary is ok. Should i check this? 

3 hours ago, DKing said:

There is a backlight in the gear display, that goes on and off occasionally 

No idea, but it looks new and there's a indicator which says battary is ok. Should i check this? 

I have a similar issue in my swift ht51s (2003). Gear indicator goes off time to time but cannot recreate issue exactly.  Check your starter motor issue comes when indicator goes off. In that case issue must be with your gear selector (attached to gear box) or it's wiring.

Swift starter motor circuit switches on only when gear is on P or N. That signal is provided by gear selector. If the gear selector does not provide the gear position signal for P or N, current is not passed to starter motor 

• Like 2